In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recipes for Wild Game

4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
edited August 2002 in General Discussion
Saw a thread on another board and thought it was a good enouph idea to spread around. Here is one I tried last year. A friend of mine who was a chef at one of my favorite restaurants gave me the idea. I substituted venison tenderloin for beef and it turned out pretty decent.

Beef Wellington/Venison

1 Whole Tenderloin Venison
1 Package Filo Dough
1 can Mushrooms
2 sticks real butter
1 clove garlic/minced
1 tsp cracked pepper
1 tsp dill salt (kind used on margaritas)
1 can beef broth
1 box corn starch
1 package chicken liver (optional)
1 6oz package of fetta cheese

starting at top of tenderloin make a 1/2" incision the entire length of the tenderloin.
Roll the tenderloin and continue to cut until it is a 1/2" thick flat piece of meat. To do this will require a sharp knife.
In a large skillet melt 1/2 stick of real butter.
As it simmers place the tenderloin into the skillet and brown on both sides. Avoid overcooking.
Remove Tenderloin from skillet and allow to cool.

Cook garlic in same pan after meat is removed.

Pre heat your oven to 325

If you choose to use the liver it is for a patte'. Boil the liver in water until completely cooked. Drain and place in food processor and blend thoroughly. Add 2tbls worchester (sp) sauce, 1 tsp salt and garlic then blend together.

In sauce pan putt beef broth and mushrooms and bring to boil. Mix two heeping tbsps of corn starch and 1/2 cup cold water and add to beef broth and mushrooms to make gravy. Stir while adding. If it does not thicken up adequately add more starch cold water mixture as needed.

Sprinkle the inside of the meat with salt and cracked pepper and distribute evenly accross the face.

Mix some of the gravy with the liver mixture, just enouph to make it spread smoothly and spread this in a thin layer evenly across the face of the meat.

Spread the Fetta cheese along the face of the meat and then roll the meat back up.

It should look like a jelly roll.

Now the fun part.
Melt the remaining butter in a sauce pan.
with a bbq brush, lightly brush the butter onto the filo and wrap the venison in the layers of filo. It will take several layers, at least six or seven.

Take the filo wrapped tenderloin and place it in the oven and bake until the filo becomes golden brown on the outside. Usually about 15-20 minutes.

Remove from oven and cut into 1" thick sections. Serve it plain or cover with gravy.

Served with side dishes of Mashed potatoes, cooked carrots and green beans.

When Clinton left office they gave him a 21 gun salute. Its a damn shame they all missed....

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    1 deer tenderloin cut into 1/4" cubes.
    3 Habenero peppers diced
    4 Jalapeno peppers diced
    2 Red Hot Chile peppers diced
    1 large Vadalia onion diced
    1/2 clove fresh crushed garlic
    1 large can diced tomatoes
    1 large can tomato sauce
    1 large can kidney beans
    1 can tomato juice

Brown tenderloin in sauce pan with garlic and butter.
    Drain off butter.
    Add other ingrediants to large pot and bring to simmer.
    Add tenderloin and garlic and simmer for 45 min.

Serve in large bowl , garnish with pepperjack cheese and serve with peanut butter sandwiches.

Prepare to sweat and drink lots of Corona!

When Clinton left office they gave him a 21 gun salute. Its a damn shame they all missed....
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    damn 4G&C, now I gotta go defrost some meat and go to the grocery store. I'm all over both of those, in fact, they are on their way out of the printer right now.

Edited by - JustC on 08/30/2002 13:54:51
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Heres an easy one.

Mexican T-Bone

T-Bone Steak
    Jalapeno Pepper/Sliced
    BBQ Sauce
    Pepperjack Cheese

Set grill on low setting.

Slow cook T-Bone while basting with BBQ Sauce
    When done to your liking cover top with pepperjack cheese
    Place Jalapeno Strips on top and serve with a ramican of BBQ sauce.

Excellant served with a side of chille from previous recipe and of course, ice cold Corona...

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    My favorite CARP (fish) recipe:

Take one medium to large CARP

Scale, and clean well

Salt and pepper to taste, and spices, butter and lemon

Place on piece of pine board (flavor) and bake in oven for two hours.

After cooking, throw out the CARP and EAT the BOARD

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here's a quicky for deer sausage

1 lb deer sausage
    4-6 lg green peppers
    rice
    1 can corn
    1 lg onion
    3 cans V8 juice (spicy or regular)
    italian seasoning
    garlic salt
    pepper
    hot peppers (optional)

brown the sausage and onions (and diced hot peppers), and add desired seasoning, then add corn, and 1st can V8. Let sit while rice is cooking. Mix enough rice in with the mixture to fill up the peppers that have had the tops cut out so as to form a bowl shape. Add rest of seasoning you may want, moisten the filled peppers by adding more V8 until it runs out of peppers. Pour rest of V8 into the bottom of corning ware dish and place peppers in, cover, and bake for 45 minutes or until peppers cook. Stuufed peppers with a twist. this is the best way can explain it, as I don't have the cooking lingo down, but love to cook just the same. I usually don't use a measure once I have the ingredients memorized.

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sounds good justc, if you know some others keep em comin maybe we could do a wild game cook book or something. It doesnt seem like too many people in here are interested in cooking. I love it, only part that sucks is the dishes afterwards.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Opossum Pie

If you have a possum lurking in your back yard, catch the little critter in a cage the night before you plan to make this pie.
    Put him in a shady spot with some water because this is his Lucky Day.... Possum Pie is on the Way !

1 Young Live Possum
    2 packages (3 oz each) cream cheese, softened
    3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
    1 Graham Cracker Pie Crust (9 inches)
    1/4 Cup Chopped Pecans
    1/3 Cup Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
    1/4 Cup Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
    2 Cups Cold Milk
    3/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
    1/2 Cup Whipping Cream, whipped
    12 to 16 Pecan Halves

In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
    Spread onto bottom of pie crust.
    Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
    In another mixing bowl, combine pudding mixes.
    Add milk and vanilla and beat on low speed for 2 minutes.
    Spoon over the pecans.
    Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
    Top with whipped cream and pecan halves.
    Yield: 8 servings.

Let the opossum lick the bowl

• Options
    Brth729Brth729 Member Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about this one? This takes a little while

VENISON SALAMI

1 lb. ground venison (coarse or fine depends on your preference)
    2 heaping tsps. of Morton Tender Quick Salt
    1 Tbls. mustard seed
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. black pepper corns
    1/2 tsp. liquid smoke

Combine all ingredients and form into a roll about 2 inches round. Wrap the roll with foil and refrigerate 2 to 3 days. Poke several holes in the bottom of foil for drainage. Place on middle rack with drip tray on rack below. Bake at 200 degrees for about 3 and 1/2 hours. Unwrap and cool. Keep refrigerated.

***I'm in the hi-fidelity first class travelling section I think I need a Leer jet***
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys always love to get those recipes.I wish someone would post those Chili Recipes again.I was copying them and ran out of ink before I got them all.

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    REBJrREBJr Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, I'm working up a (farm) turkey tomorrow, any ideals I ain't tried yet?

Nothing very, very good or very, very bad lasts for very, very long.
  • Options
    wapo3030wapo3030 Member Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With dove season to open Monday I thought ya'll would like this one.
    Mairinate dove breast in itialn dressing for a few hrs.
    Wrap slice of bacon around and fasten with tooth pic.
    Grill over med. heat turning often for 30-45 mins.
    Chew easy watch for shot!!--ENJOY
  • Options
    Hunter4lifeHunter4life Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    DEAD DEER CHILI
    Everyone has their own idea of what chili is and how it is supposed to be made. This is my interpretation and i've never had anyone say they didn't like it....then again nobody would ever say my chili was bad to my face!!! I would say it is a "medium" on the hot n spicy scale....it won't burn the tongue, but it will make you sweat a little.............

2 pounds dead ground up deer
    2 , 15 ounce cans of whole tomatoes (cut into good sized chunks add juice and all)
    1, 16 ounce can tomato sauce
    3 cloves of garlic, chopped
    1/3 cup ketchup
    4 table spoons red pepper sauce (tobasco)
    2 large onions medium diced
    1-1/2 cups celery medium diced
    1-1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon blk pepper
    4 table spoons chili powder
    2 15 ounce?? cans dark red kidney beans

I am not sure what size pot i use, but i think it is six quarts...so.......

in a six quart pot combine meat, celery, garlic, and onion, cook untill meat is browned then drain off juices. Add all ingredients except beans. simmer coverd for one hour. Add beans (undrained) and simmer uncovered for twenty minutes. stir the whole mess once in a while and serve with sour cream and shredded cheddar on top...maybe a few green onions too, and don't forget the honey sweet cornbread!! if you like bland chili cut the tobasco in half and add it at the table as desired..........
    enjoy,
    Craig
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dead deer chille is good but I prefer the live deer chille, its just so damn hard to get them to hold still!

• Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Craig,the wife has to go to Blacksburg in two weeks.For something she has to update on for her Job.The week shes gone It will be me and the dogs,and shes worried the Dobs wont eat my cooking.Im going to do some serious expermenting.I got some of the Chilli Recipes the guys posted and they sound good.But Ive never heard of Deer chilli,me and the dogs might try some.For God and Country has me starved,cant wait to try his Recipes.

Best!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret

Edited by - Rugster on 09/01/2002 16:15:59
  • Options
    .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hunter4life -

Just wait til the Southern boys on the board read your chili recipe.

Putting tomatoes or tomato sauce (and beans) in chili makes 'em cringe! Top it off with sour cream and shredded cheddar and you can REALLY get 'em going. (I prefer my chili almost exactly like your recipe, with one minor addition. I like to add a half pound or so of hot Italian sausage to the dead deer meat).

If yer feeling adventerous, try also adding some cooked, diced up dead duck meat to the mix, after the other meat has cooked up with the onions, garlic, etc. For some reason, the duck goes real well in chili. Some of the best chili I've ever made and eaten had duck meat in the mix.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, since it's dove season,.......

6-8 Dove breasts
    beef bullion
    egg noodles
    1 large onion
    salt and pepper
    1 can mushrooms

Place the breasts in a croc pot with the beef bullion, mushrooms, and the large onion diced up. Season to taste and cook until meat falls off the breast bone. Then cook your egg noodles in another pot. Now extract the dove from the croc pot, pour the broth in a pan, and simmer while using corn starch or flour and water to create a gravy. Put the dove breasts, and gravy over the egg noodles. This is a great way to enjoy dove, which can be a little rich sometimes.

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.