In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wisconsin spider indentification

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in General Discussion
I know pictures would be the easiest way to solve this, but I was not able to gather any.

Long story short, I was putting an AC unit in our house window and this black spider crawled across the AC and into the AC unit before could catch him. It was a fairly small spider, but had a decent sized round abdomen and was solid black. Smooth and shiny black too. I have never seen one like it here in Wisconsin. Any guesses or help?

Note: Just so there is no confusion, this AC unit has been in our possession for 3 years and just came up from our basement, where it is stored in the winter months.

Jon

Comments

• Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Did it look similar to this?

black-widow.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes it did. That is the part I got to see too. Never got a look at the bottom-side.

In doing some research, there are black widow spiders in Wisconsin. I had no idea that they could survive our winters....

I also came across a "False Black Widow" that existed in Wisconsin. It sounds like that one is much more common?

Jon
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I'm sure it was a black widow and it probably did just fine in your basement, that would be an excellent place to find one. They build a messy web usually low near the ground, look for that and you may find a few more.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beeramid
    I'm sure it was a black widow and it probably did just fine in your basement, that would be an excellent place to find one. They build a messy web usually low near the ground, look for that and you may find a few more.

Thanks for the heads-up. I suppose I should do some digging now, so I don't accidently uncover one later.

Kind of funny how unsettling it becomes when that spider that has been in your house, without you knowing, becomes known to exist. [:p]

Jon
  • Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They can survive nicely in Wisconsin. I find them in my garage in Montana, and we get some cold winters.

Got bit by one carrying wood in from the wood pile and the next day was in the ER. Thumb turned black and hurt like hell...
  • Options
    FreudianSlippersFreudianSlippers Member Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77
    In doing some research, there are black widow spiders in Wisconsin. I had no idea that they could survive our winters....

I also came across a "False Black Widow" that existed in Wisconsin. It sounds like that one is much more common?

Given your location and the lack of red markings, this is more likely to be the false black widow (Steatoda grossa).

Wisconsin primarily has northern black widows (Latrodectus variolus). Unlike other black widow species, northern black widows retain red markings on their backs as adults. (They also have a broken red hourglass under the abdomen.) If you didn't see any red markings on either side, it's not a widow.

The false black widow is similar in shape to true widows (it's in the same family). The mature female is solid black and lacks an hourglass marking under the abdomen. False widows are not medically significant.
  • Options
    Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FreudianSlippers
    quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77

Given your location and the lack of red markings, this is more likely to be the false black widow (Steatoda grossa).

Wisconsin primarily has northern black widows (Latrodectus variolus). Unlike other black widow species, northern black widows retain red markings on their backs as adults. (They also have a broken red hourglass under the abdomen.) If you didn't see any red markings on either side, it's not a widow.

The false black widow is similar in shape to true widows (it's in the same family). The mature female is solid black and lacks an hourglass marking under the abdomen. False widows are not medically significant.

The red markings are really hard to see underneath a hammerhead!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, that makes me feel a little better. [:)]

Jon
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not like any spider, even the few, like black widows, with bites that can require medical treatment, is "out to get you." They aren't looking for interaction with humans and won't mistake you for food; if they bite, it's normally a last ditch defensive measure when you accidentally reach into where they're at.

If you're reaching in a place where you might think widows are, just put on a pair of gloves; they can't bite through those.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Slippers, more likely the false black widow. For what it is worth, Black widows are common here, I once collected 20 in 2 hours for a South African colleague without ever getting out of my yard. Bites have become far less common since the middle of the last century. Indoor plumbing has been a good thing in many ways.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    I agree with Slippers, more likely the false black widow. For what it is worth, Black widows are common here, I once collected 20 in 2 hours for a South African colleague without ever getting out of my yard. Bites have become far less common since the middle of the last century. Indoor plumbing has been a good thing in many ways.

I collected 11 in 5 minutes last year,..right in my garden.[:0] I had some that were the size of a nickel[xx(]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I had some that were the size of a nickel

OK now you are bragging, but at least you didn't say they were the size of ducks.

They can be very common, and don't cause much harm. I draw the line when they are in or on the house, otherwise leave them alone.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beeramid
    Did it look similar to this?

black-widow.jpg

b5d7255ffef7d678c9f279ab00aa2d7cee6d5cdec33414f51cee626deda9d357.jpg
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was in college I came home to visit for Christmas or something and a brown recluse had decided it liked my bed. Never felt it bite me, just had a weird blister the next day. The day after that I could barely walk and went off to the Doc in the Box. They cored a big chunk of meat out of my leg and shot me up with a bunch of something. I still have a nasty scar to remind me that I do not like spiders....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    When I was in college I came home to visit for Christmas or something and a brown recluse had decided it liked my bed. Never felt it bite me, just had a weird blister the next day. The day after that I could barely walk and went off to the Doc in the Box. They cored a big chunk of meat out of my leg and shot me up with a bunch of something. I still have a nasty scar to remind me that I do not like spiders....

And you were one of the lucky ones
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    quote:I had some that were the size of a nickel

OK now you are bragging, but at least you didn't say they were the size of ducks.

They can be very common, and don't cause much harm. I draw the line when they are in or on the house, otherwise leave them alone.

I have literaly hundreds of them. I give them a wide berth since a bite from one spurred a mrsa Infection in my neighbor and he had to have a heart catheter for 2 weeks.