In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How important is the rifle stock in accuracy?

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I can't quite get used to the feel of the H.S Precision stocks and may have to put a thumbhole stock on this gun, my custom gun got me spoiled[:D] I know the H.S precision is supposed to be one of the best stocks made for accuracy and I'm curious as to how important the stock really is. If I decide to put a thumbhole stock on this is will be a laminated stock similar to my custom gun and will be pillar bedded. Can I achieve the same accuracy with the laminated stock as I do with the H.S?

line2.gif
email2b.gif
hillbilly.gif

Comments

• BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    It's all in the bedding on the stock - the rest is aesthetics and comfort. Of course Comfort has a lot to do with accuracy[8D]

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi, 7mm,-- There is no doubt that a "bad stock" will detract from the accuracy of a rifle. If the stock has sloppy action bedding and bears along the barrel in an irregular fashion, the rifle won't shoot good.
    In my opinion, a glass bedded action and a free-floated barrel except for a little upward pressure at the tip of the forend generally gives the best accuracy for a gun being tested. There are always exceptions to any rule, however.
    You probably know that already. If the stock doesn't feel "right" to you, you probably won't due your best shooting with it. I can't comment on the virtues of the stocks you mention.
    My thoughts,
    OleDuk[:)]
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hear ya talking about the barrel bedding et al ... but I think the comfort and steadiness (and the eyes) of the shooter is the biggest factor ... certainly for the way most of us shoot and hunt.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    BlueTic already used my answer...[}:)][;)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if the stock does not fit you right,feel funny you will not shoot your best.more expensive gun dealers have adjustable try stocks so a gun can be fitted to a person.glass bedding or free floating a barrel,personal preference, does not garrantee accuracy all by its self.the gun must fit reasonably right.ive read on here some of you are over 6" and over 200lbs im 5-10" your gun is not going to fit me right.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    while comfort plays a role,..duely as important is construction. The stock must be a tight fit in the action area,..often aided by a bedding job. I still have my HS Precision stocks skim bedded!!!

Next,..in terms of accuracy,..if you are looking for the one hole groups,..a flat,..or only slightly rounded forearm bottom is important. You need a "bag surface" that allows for a steady rest.

I like my HS Precisions,..but I have gotten used to those that I have,..so that is a mute point. Just be sure whatever stock you choose is solid from front to back,..and has a bag surface capable of repeating your hold so that you can be a consistent shooter.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?