In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Father gives 4yr old live ammunition to play with

claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in General Discussion
Father of a 4-year-old boy is kicking himself for giving the boy live ammunition. A 4-year-old boy playing with a semi-automatic shotgun in Washington State accidentally shot and wounded his mother, police said.

The 23-year-old woman was being treated at Tacoma General Hospital after Monday's shooting, The Seattle Times reported. Scott Wilson, a spokesman for the Kitsap County sheriff said the wounds were caused by birdshot, the Kitsap Sun said.

Investigators say the boy was given a shotgun cartridge by his father, who was not home when his girlfriend was shot, the Sun said. He was playing with it and loaded it into the shotgun while his mother was on the phone with her back to him.

Wilson said the father apparently gave the boy the cartridge because he was interested in guns.

Comments

• Options
    _bruno__bruno_ Member Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a couple of idiots. Why was the gun out? Why was the mom letting the kid play with the gun? She kinda let it happen to herself. Pretty impressive though, the 4 year old knew how to load the gun and shoot it.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Wonder what type of shot gun. If a pump or Semi she sure was not watching very well.

Need to take reading comprehension.

Semi, Loading a Semi by a 4 year thats doing something.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    I dont buy that.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong
    fishy!

++

My sons (the older one is five and a half, the younger will be four in two weeks) have difficulty lifting/carrying my shotguns, let alone loading, pointing, and pulling the trigger.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    I dont buy that.

+1
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    this took me kind of by surprise. live ammo? who cares. a 4 yer olds not putting everything in their mouth like a baby so leads not a problem. hows the kid gonna set it off?? letting him play with a firearm now thats a horse of a different color. mom and dad should both be locked up for that. also is a 4 year old strong enough to push i round into a shotgun? was it a overunder, doublebarrel? me thinks the gun mights have been loaded before hand. good thing it was only birdhot.
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a good thing that the keys to the helicopter and the bottle of Jack Daniels were properly stored.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    this took me kind of by surprise. live ammo? who cares. a 4 yer olds not putting everything in their mouth like a baby so leads not a problem. hows the kid gonna set it off?? letting him play with a firearm now thats a horse of a different color. mom and dad should both be locked up for that. also is a 4 year old strong enough to push i round into a shotgun? was it a overunder, doublebarrel? me thinks the gun mights have been loaded before hand. good thing it was only birdhot.

You like me need reading Comprehension.

Semi Auto.
  • Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My opologies, I should have known you guys would want more details.
    http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978643453
  • Options
    Simple ManSimple Man Member Posts: 3,252
    edited November -1
    I dont buy that.

Don't believe everything you read. How does a 4 year old chamber a round.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

even so. ive got a charles daly 20ga semi auto that i dont think a 6 or 7 year old would be able to load very easily. unless the slide was locked back so all the kid had to do was drop the round in and then release the slide i just dont think it adds up.

Semi Auto.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Simple Man
    I dont buy that.

Don't believe everything you read. How does a 4 year old chamber a round.

Maybe it was a Browning B2000? It has a self loading feature, you just drop the round in.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    It's a good thing that the keys to the helicopter and the bottle of Jack Daniels were properly stored.

That there made me laugh!!!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

even so. ive got a charles daly 20ga semi auto that i dont think a 6 or 7 year old would be able to load very easily. unless the slide was locked back so all the kid had to do was drop the round in and then release the slide i just dont think it adds up.

Semi Auto.

I'm not saying your wrong just I did the very same thing Higher up in the post then Caught it was a semi.[:o)]
  • Options
    swampgutswampgut Member Posts: 5,555
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan

LOL
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree...this doesnt smell right.

It seems unlikely that a 4 year old could load a round into the mag or chamber and release the bolt...all without the mother hearing the bolt slam home behind her.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow...I think this is either a cover up for dad shooting the mom, or they are just really really oblivious parents.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my 4yr old couldn't pull it off, and she is a headstrong, determined tazmanian devil. I have doubts about the whole testimony of the parents.