In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Have you heard of this caliber...

HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2003 in General Discussion
I was in a pawn shop today and found a very interesting rifle, it said "Marbles" and 6.5x06 on the barrel. I know this is a wildcat but has anybody heard of this caliber and know anything about it?

Comments

• Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a 6.5-06 wildcat, made by necking down the 30-06 to use 6.5 cal bullets. I don't know what signifigance "marbles" would have. Was the word marbles on the sights by any chance? Maybe the gunsmith that built it or a former owner was named Marbles.

Woods

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
  • Options
    HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, the sights were jut standard sights. Thanks for reply.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    I believe factory ammo is being made by Norma in sweeden (for one.)

But I certainly have seen this caliber occationally.

Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    One of my pet peeves is people calling cartridges calibers. Many different cartridges within each caliber out there.

Yes I have heard of the 6.5-06 cartridge. There is a European factory cartridge called the 6.5X64 Brenneke. It is the 270 Winchester necked down to 6.5. You can shoot 6.5-06 in this chamber but not 6.5X64 in a 6.5-06 chamber.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    There used to be a company call the "Marbles Safety Axe Company, progressed to Marble Arms, they didnt produce that many arms, but did provide sights to many gun manufacturers, most of their stuff is collectable,

Cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, it is just another offering based on the '06 design. They even made one in 6mm-06 which is even flatter shooting.
    Aglore, the 6.5 part is the caliber, so it isn't totally inaccurate calling it the caliber. Of course, many times the numerical number isn't really the bore or projectile size anyway...
    I have been really thinking about a gun I saw in a pawn shop that is the 6mm Ackley Improved. If a new gun safe isn't so high on my priority list then I'd get it.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Bambihunter, have you seen many 300 win. mag calibers around.[:)]

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 6.5-06 is one of the authors favorite rounds (precision shooting at 1000yds). His is however an "improved" version. The 6.5 projectile, in the 140+ gr weight, is one of the highest BC bullets available in any caliber. It has a great reputation for penetration, and wind bucking ability.

It is no doubt either an aftermarket barrel, or re-reamed factory barrel. If the markings are off from their original placements,...i.e. the writing and manuf info is not next to the stock lines, or is up on top of the barrel, or even upside down on the opposite side of the barrel, it was a factory barrel that was set back and reamed again. If it has the designations where they are supposed to be, then it is probably an aftermarket barrel and more than likely a great shooting rifle (not that it isn't with a re-reamed factory tube). You have to handload for it,...but it will be a great caliber.

I have a 6.5-06IMP that will shoot ragged holes all day long.

Get some lapua brass, and some sierra 142gr matchkings and she will impress the he!! out of you with IMR4350 or RL22 and match primers. IME

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Aglore, that is my point exactly... You are right, the cartridge, or chambering is much more specific than just the caliber.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Marbles" made a lot of sights, accessories, loading gear, etc. But the only firearm I know they manufactured was a "Game Getter," a short barreled .44-40 weapon designed to fire shot and round ball loads - there is a special category of .44 WCF ammo so named, as in ".44 Game Getter," which one will see on some specimens. It became a prohibited weapon under the NFA of 1934. If the marking is on the sights, it would explain the name. If not, I would have to go with the view expressed by others that it was a vanity thing by some individual. I would agree with 99% of what others have said on the 6.5-06; it's a pity no one has ever made this in a factory rifle.
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Correct me if I'm wrong, (i probably am) but isnt that the caliber that was used to shoot JFK?
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah, thought it was italian, and knew it was 6.5 but not sure if it was the same one he was talkin about. oh well. lol
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,987 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Game Getters are all I can find that Marbles ever made. So I agree with Iconoclast on that. They did make sights. Interesting story with this gun no doubt.

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Maybe the "marbles" part is because the previous owner lost his marbles. [:D]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What action is it on?

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?