In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why Model 700?

gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
edited April 2007 in General Discussion
When the military makes a dedicated sniping platform, why do they use the Rem Mod. 700 receiver/action?
Is it somehow more "true" than all the others, or is it just easier to get parts for?
I realize there are other, newer makes being used currently, but I'm only interested in the ones using Rem receivers.

Comments

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,702 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard that when they did the tests for what rifle they chose they did NOT allow any foriegn manufactured guns....and it stayed "policy" after the tests to go with Remington's 700. I have no clue past that little bit I have heard....but I do know that Steyr would have WAY OUTDONE the Remington along with a few others and it sounds like something that would be true.

I have also heard that Remington almost went bankrupt back before WWII and because of government contracts it was able to pull through....which is also something I have HEARD (along with lots of other tales in the gun store over the years.) I do't have the time to check everything out that I hear...so, if I am wrong....sorry.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They obviously didn't take that rule into account when choosing combat shotguns. We've got Mossbergs, Remingtons, Winchesters, and Benellis.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Not sure but an FN or Steyr would definatley out shoot a 700
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is probably like almost anything else bought under a government contract, it meets the design parameters and is the cheapest available.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,702 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My tales are all "gun store rumors" and they cover a wide variety of subjects....we never want to touch on some of them.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Remington 700 action is very easy to make into a match grade gun. Parts are readily available to make them shoot like a laser beam. Gunsmithing is relatively easy and straight forward in getting them to shoot well.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:When the military makes a dedicated sniping platform, why do they use the Rem Mod. 700 receiver/action?
    Is it somehow more "true" than all the others, or is it just easier to get parts for?

Have you ever heard the saying "good enough for government work"?
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    More 700 actions are used in custom target rifles than any other action out there.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--bpost-has the ticket--

--[:D][:D]--JIMBO
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    first off,...the FN or Steyer can't outshoot the rem 700 when compared correctly. Take the amount left over from the purchase of the rem 700 and apply it to gunsmithing labor and aftermarket parts. When they both cost the same, the rem will not be beaten,..maybe tied, but not beaten.

second and most importantly, the rem 700 receiver was ROUND making it easier to "true" in the lathe. Also, the simple design eliminates possible failures in the field. The non-interfered firing pin and spring makes for the fastest lock time available unless spending huge amounts of money on custom actions. The fwd threaded portion of the action, which encompases the barrel tennon, which in turn encompases the enclosed bolt face makes the "three rings of steel" that make the action one of the absolute strongest available in case of a failure during ignition, resulting in less damage to the shooter (hopefully). The recoil lug is non-integral and therefore much easier to true and flat grind than the winchester/mauser style.

the rem 700 for it's purchase price and available gunsmithing and parts makes it the best choice. It is easier to true up, and will shoot with the very best customs in the world. Doubt that claim?????......you obviously havn't walked the firing line at any benchrest matches. Still the #1 most used non-custom action in the world, and for good reason. I have beaten out many many custom rifles using rem 700's.