In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fall from Spinal Stenosis today

kabarkabar Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in General Discussion
Walking through a farmers market today my Spinal Stenosis kicked in and I fell face first in the gravel parking lot. When I looked up, I had a crowd around me asking all kinds of questions. I told then I had to sit in a chair for about 10 min. then I would be alright. It just hits me out of the clear blue sky and my legs get paralyzed and I just fall forward. My spinal cord is being pinched in my lower back. I was told I need an operation but all I hear is horror stories about back operations. My wife works in a nursing home and sees a lot of results of botched back operations. I applied for a handicap scooter from the VA but haven't heard anything yet. I have 1 slipped disc, 1 that is bone against bone, 1 that has spurs on it and three that has the stenosis which is calcium build up which which is pinching my spinal cord.
I guess my hunting days are over.

Comments

• Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Talk to 46270 he got one hell of a scooter he is going to use for hunting.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have the surgery. I had a total back replacement and get around okay. Yes, you will have some residual affects from the surgery like retrograde ejaculation and some pain and discomfort, but it is better then being in a wheelchair or in so much constant pain that you can not function. If you want, private email me and I will call you and talk to you about it. Oakie.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dad is recovering from spinal stenosis surgery on his L3-L4. It was rough going for the first few weeks, but the nerve pain in his hip and leg is subsiding.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    My father decided not to get the surgery.
    His brother decided to have it.

The quality of their lives was dramatically different.

By the time my father realized what the next part of his life was going to be like, he was too old to be approved for the surgery.

Imagine your life with legs as useless as dish rags and your ability to take care of yourself.

Genetically, it's probably a choice I'll have to make at some time.

I'm getting the surgery without hesitation.
  • Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find the best Doctor You can to do the Surgery and You should do fine.
    I had My L-4 L-5 Disk removed due to a injury and have no problems as long as I follow My restrictions,A lot of times I do things I shouldn't and pay for it later but all in all it's better than the pain I was in before Surgery.
    I can still Hunt but need Someone to drag anything larger than a Turkey out of the Woods.
    Spine Surgery has come a long way in recent Years so don't be afraid to check it out.
    Good Luck and keep Us posted.
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have something similar and I had the surgery, I ended up with neuropathy of the spinal nerve do to frayed nerve and very narrow spinal nerve channel lucky for me so far is left leg only it usually gives me time to sit down when leg starts to get numb, it's like having no leg at all my spring loaded knee brace is a huge help as it helps to swing the lower leg forward so I wont hit the deck if the knee gives.
    My experience and seeing others at the surgeons office spinal surgery is like flipping a coin.
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my MIL, FIL, father, and on wed my mother will be having the operation. they will tell you that life is much better with the operation than without. I imagine my Grandfather and now mother (his daughter) situations, will necessitate me having this operation at some point.