In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tumbling brass lesson learned

tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Grabbed some 380 brass that I recently tumbled to put primers in. Every hole had a grain of corncob in it. It has taken best part of an hour to punch each out with a tooth pick.

This is the last time (and first) that I will deprime before tumbling. That corncob sure made it look nice but just the right size to clog the primer hole.

This was a cheap lesson to learn, just time consumeing! Tom

Comments

• Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tccox
    Grabbed some 380 brass that I recently tumbled to put primers in. Every hole had a grain of corncob in it. It has taken best part of an hour to punch each out with a tooth pick.

This is the last time (and first) that I will deprime before tumbling. That corncob sure made it look nice but just the right size to clog the primer hole.

You should have asked me...the brass Guru. I could have saved you time. You can get a larger or smaller grit of cobb or walnut.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't you just love it when you unload the media and all those shiny brass cases are standing there with their little mouths pointed up and full of media! [:)]
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I learned that one a long time ago...I always tumble BEFORE depriming and sizing....my 2 cents.
  • hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad taught me that a long time ago. After i deprimed and tumbled ofcourse. He just laughed and went on his way.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

The flip side of the coin, I prefer it. It Forces me to do visual inspection on every one of my cases after being cleaned. No harm in that-
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The time spent removing kernels is far preferable to removing lube from rifle cases one at a time by hand, or waiting for it to dry after a hot water/soap bath. In short, I tumble before AND after sizing. First to clean, then to remove lube.

Now pistol brass, I'm right there with you. Carbide dies of course.
  • bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know about .380, but I can tell you that with a lot of pistol cartridges you still get one kernel in the flash hole from the inside, de-primed or not.
  • tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew I should have asked you all how to tumble brass but thought I could wing this on my own. Never again.

Now then, I get to do this same thing with the 32 brass and the 25 auto which I have tumbling now. Dang, I'm sure glad it is not over 3-400 rounds! Tom
    edited November -1
    I knew I should have asked you all how to tumble brass but thought I could wing this on my own. Never again.

Now then, I get to do this same thing with the 32 brass and the 25 auto which I have tumbling now. Dang, I'm sure glad it is not over 3-400 rounds! Tom
    you may just want to run them throught the decapper/sizing die again.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigcitybill
    I don't know about .380, but I can tell you that with a lot of pistol cartridges you still get one kernel in the flash hole from the inside, de-primed or not.
    yep and the deprimer pin just pushes it through.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had to learn that lesson myself, 1st time I used my tumbler. [B)][:D]
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF

The flip side of the coin, I prefer it. It Forces me to do visual inspection on every one of my cases after being cleaned. No harm in that-

+1. Besides, you have to clean the pocket primer anyways. I have lots to learn but I'm loving this new hobby (reloading that it is) of mine. [^]
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    I learned that one a long time ago...I always tumble BEFORE depriming and sizing....my 2 cents.

same here,

pain in the
    to dig out
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CHEVELLE427
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag

same here,

pain in the
    to dig out

yep,..deprime AFTER tumbling.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    so all of you that tumble then deprime how do you remove lube. I'm asking this because i'm new to reloading and dont have a tumbler yet. I was told to bath them in hot soapy water with a shot of viniger in it. I use rcbs case lube and have only loaded 20 round that i resized myself and its a pain in the * to get the lube off. I guess if i had the option i would rather just have to clean each primer pocket then have to clean all the lube off the cases.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tumble brass after deprime and resize to remove the sizing lube.On carbide dies I smear a little Lee case lube on about 1 case every 50 to prevent the tight case in the die you feel in the press handle.Getting the media out of the flash hole is just part of reloading.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hk-91
    so all of you that tumble then deprime how do you remove lube. I'm asking this because i'm new to reloading and dont have a tumbler yet. I was told to bath them in hot soapy water with a shot of viniger in it. I use rcbs case lube and have only loaded 20 round that i resized myself and its a pain in the * to get the lube off. I guess if i had the option i would rather just have to clean each primer pocket then have to clean all the lube off the cases.

I boil water, and then mix in a 3:1 ratio with white vinegar and some dish soap. Throw the cases in and agitate, let soak and agitate again. Rinse with filtered water and dry in the oven at the lowest setting with the door cracked open. This will remove your lube as most is water based. Primer pockest are done every loading with the sinclair pocket tools and the driver attachment,....I use my 18v dewalt drill and it takes only a few minutes to do 50 cases.