In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Signed FFL problems....

gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
OK, so I win the auction. Then I go to my FFL guy who gives me the inked FFL but is in the process of moving so he writes his new address in on the inked FFL. So then I send the FFL and full payment off to the seller to have the firearm shipped. Seller calls me and the FFL holder and says "I cannot send the firearm until I get revised paperwork from the BATF with the new address information". I say "OK, I'll wait for the BATF to send the revised papers to my FFL". It's been over 10 days now. I'm chomping at the bit here to get my new toy.

Question...does the seller have to wait for the revised papers from the BATF before he can send the firearm? Also, does anyone know what the turn around time is for the BATF to send out changed information? The FFL holder states that it's been a month since he sent his address revision request.

I hate to go to another FFL holder as I'd like to start doing regular business with this fella.

What should I do?[?][?]

Comments

• interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Go to another FFL. I am a FFL and it took BATFE months to reissue my FFL with my new adress when I moved. The fact that your FFL sent out his FFL with a hand inked adress revision tells me I would not want to deal with that kind of incompetence.

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ISP is 100% correct. I would NEVER accept an altered FFL. Any dummy can do a pen and ink address change, why not just become a machinegun dealer while your at it?
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep get another FFL dealer. I know a FFL dealer who let their license expire one day... took forever to re issue the FFL. It was a pawn shop and they had to lock up all guns until the new license came.
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,363 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now you know,, and the FFL should have said "I can't help you".. Everyone would be better off.

I sold a 14" AUG Barrel. Wanted it shipped, direct,, it was just a "part". FFL gee,,,, well OK,,,, Ad said ship to Class III only,,

Lucky I have internet access (what would I do without it) made a quick check of the state law, Having possession of a part that can be used to convert a gun to a SBR is a FELONY in his state, cut it out,, emailed him a link and copy..... No problem,, he could then get the correct FFL dealer.

I agree, find a FFL that is smart enough to keep you out of trouble and make your life easy.

Just goes to show,,,, being ignorant of the law is quite easy,, but still no excuse.

hksniper.gif
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on when this guy filed for his change of address this process could take quite a while. One quick check would be to go to the ATF site and see if his new address is in the data base, and if it is he should be getting paperwork soon, also seller can use the online to verify the address.

Now was what the FFL did very smart ... no, he should know that there is no FFL that would accept a pen and ink altered document. Find another, more professional, FFL to work with you.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not ship the gun until I had a letter from the BATF or a new FFL with thte address on it! The guy you bought the gun from is just following the rules

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    It took 60+ days for the ATF to get my fathers address change paperwork done and back to him with a new copy of his FFLs showing new addy. The guy that gave you the inked in address should have known better.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    Thank you everyone who contributed. You'll be happy to know that I went to a new FFL holder yesterday. I sent the new FFL out FedEx next day. The fine fella I'm doing business with said the toys will be in my hands before this weekend. Sweeeeeeeeet!!![:D] It going to be a great weekend.
  • drjincdrjinc Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can ship to an alternative address if the FFL requests but you must be able to verify that it is the FFL's address.I had the same problem a year or so ago it is in the Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide 2000.I will look and try to find the page number but I no it is in there.