In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How do you load your guns

AllenoAlleno Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I've seen a few post lately about people having guns discharging at home. These post claim that the weapon malfuntioned causing the discharge. This has gotten me to thinking about when I load my handguns to carry concealed, its legal here and I have a permit. My procedure is to go into the bedroom and load my gun pointed in a safe direction with the kids in another part of the house, always sure to take my time and not rush, and abiding all gun safety rules. Being careful when closing the cylinder or dropping the slide, then carefully holstering. I am curious how others do this, is there a safer way. I guess there is always the possiblity of something happeing to cause a discharge like a bad round (rasied primer, etc) or a malfunction in the gun that will always make some risk to loading that we can't control. Whats your thoughts?

Alleno

Comments

• Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quote: Whats your thoughts?

Always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction. Or putting it another way: never point a gun at anything you would not mind being shot.

I hope you saw the thread about the slam-fire.

Rafter-S
  • AllenoAlleno Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did, thats what prompted me to thinking. I am sure if I had a discharge nobody would be hurt, except my bed, my hearing, and my ego. I insure the gun is always pointed in a safe direction

Alleno
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alleno-- I have probably chambered a half-million rounds since that slam-fire, and every time, I think about it. The event made a lasting impression on me...and my car.

Rafter-S
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ALWAYS "slam" my semi-auto's when loading 'em (draw back and let go). I'd rather it go off when pointing in a safe direction then to go off in the holster should I fall or the gun get a major impact.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine are never unloaded. Rifles; I keep the chamber empty until needed to fire. All handguns remain chamber loaded at all times. Some are DA, some are SA. Second nature I guess, but I don't burn my nose with a match while lighting a cigar either. My ankle weapon is fired pretty regularly to break up the dogs from fighting, I usually just top it up in the morning before work.

ADDENDUM: Another important safety tip to keep from shooting your house up. Always use only good quality weapons than don't fire unless you want them to.
  • Cyberdyne systemsCyberdyne systems Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only load the magazine and leave the chamber "empty" and leave my
    pistol in a holster, I dont carry concealed.
  • zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All my guns are loaded to the max all the time. They are locked away at home except at nite, and my ccw gun is either on me or very nearby at home.

A unloaded gun is like having a car without wheels! [:D]

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I must be alittle different. I slam my bolts , slides when loading up. I've never had a gun go off accidently. Of courset the muzzle is pointing in a safe direction. If one ever goes off, I will go get some spackle or whatever needed and do a home repair. I buy new ammo and check and shoot my firearms on a regular basis. All firearms that are not in the safe are fully loaded and ready to go with no delay of pumping, or chambering a round.
  • muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't chamber anything that doesn't have an exposed hammer,like a pump shotgun.Besides,if there is a criminal in your house and he is still there after he hears that pump slide,he is in a world of hurt.

Muggster
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was nice knowing you William81[:(]

He Dog
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    I load mine by sliding the conical end of the bullet in first. [:D]

aliens.jpg
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • 3gunner3gunner Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every gun I own that remains in a position where it could be used for personal or home defense remains fully loaded.

"Have a gun that works every time. All skill is in vein when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 55 gal drum filled with sand in my basement, I ALWAYS lock and load my carry/home protection pistols into it.This is a trick i learned from my buddy who is local PD,They have one in the locker room.

use_deer.jpg
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Don't keep anything in the house with one in the pipe

Sold my Cow so I don't need any Bull