In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Guns in your childrens room?

crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
How many of you have any guns in your kids rooms that are hunters or shooters? My son has a gun rack in his room and he has his own personnal guns hanging on it. Of course not loaded! Not all locked but have taught him what my father has taught me and never has touched them when I am not present. I have my own ways of knowing so don't ask how I am sure of it!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!

Comments

• PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    My dad never allowed me to store my guns in my room till i turned 18. Prior to that we stored all of our stuff together. I kinda thought it was cool that my guns were good enough to be stored with dads. [:)]

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have kids, but used to keep my .410 and .22 under my bed or propped up against my dresser. Sounds like your raising yours up right.

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    My 11 year old son has his two BB guns hanging on the wall of his room. His 22 is locked in the cabinet. Not so much because I'm afraid he will play with it inappropriately, but that his little friends will! I've taught him to respect firearms, but i'm not so sure about his friends.

From85-01.jpgTosoftair-eagle.jpg
    And everything in between.
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep my guns in my room!
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey big tire I know what you are talking about. I am very careful with my sons buddies. No ammo. around though. My son does know exactly what a gun will do to you. Big Hole and then you die!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My friends have no idea where I keep my ammo, or what the combination to my locks are! They no that if they touch my guns...I will flip out! of course none of them have!
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you checked the current laws (and panalties) regarding making a gun available to a minor? I think there is jail time associated with violating that law.

I live in a very rural area and carry a gun in my truck everywhere. I would not lock my truck except for the fact, if a kid got in and took one of my guns...and someone ended up hurt as a result, I would be in deep #$*% for not properly securing the gun.

I vividly recall as a kid coming up with all types of ammo my parents didn't know about. Even took my dad's gun out and shot it without his knowing it. Your kid and his buddies are ever bit as resourceful as I was.

My humble 2/5-cents worth,
    Rafter-S
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    The law requires that I keep all my guns and theirs out of reach and locked up or made not to fire. They know the rules and don't have a bit of problem with them, but their friends may not be raised to know about guns. So I keep them locked up unless we're shooting.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • SwwboSwwbo Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very wise Bigdaddyjunior.. I feel the same way..We taught our children about guns early.. Many don't.. The unknown children will explore..Rather there be an adult to guide.. You don't always have that in a home that isn't your own.. There isn't a second chance to teach a child something new..

Chihuahua_mexican.gif
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    I've got a gunrack in the dinning room - It has a few oldies and a .45 BP - My boy only gets his shotgun and shells if we are going to be very late. When my Daughter was home she kept the shells and got a shotgun out if we wanted a weekend away....Trust breeds trust and they have every right to defend themselves - regardless of a Nanny Law!!!

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • InvictaInvicta Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    from the time i was about 12 i had bb guns and a .22 rifle in my room but i was tought to be responsible so i never did anything stupid.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the time I was old enough to have a gun, it was kept in my room. Never had a problem, of course some people may accuse my dad of raising me right![:)]

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • Artic wolfArtic wolf Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 13year old son and I let him keep his guns in his room and I let him keep the ammo with them but not loaded.
    About 7 guns he has
  • Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally taught my children and grandchildren
    about guns. worked for me, worked for them. I allowed
    no television orphans near guns. I was fortunate
    not to ever have a child at any age to remain as dumb
    about guns as a fienfag or schummer. My son at 8 yrs.
    had to remind the off duty leo not to point the gun
    he was using to demonstrate with at him 3 times,
    while taking the hunter safety course.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sad how society has become. I was raised with LOADED guns in a gunrack in my bedroom. No one messed with the guns. Neighbor kids came over and played and no one ever touched a gun.
  • duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no kids to speak of right now, but when I was a kid my guns stayed in the safe, for the safety of the guns (in advent of fire, etc). I usually kept them with me though after a shoot for a couple days until I cleaned them and put them back in. No mind by me, since I was given the combination to the safe anyways in case something happened to my father at work, or something happened at home while he was away.
  • mustangmustang Member Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i got to keep my .22 in my room when i was 12 or so. i never had any problems w/ friends, but then most of them were farm boys, and had guns of their own. it was no big deal. but if i had kids now, i would put a triger lock on it. just my 2c.

Warroad.gif