In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

got kids?

7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in General Discussion
I don't. Likely never will. My friends with kids envy my lifestyle. Sometimes I envy them.

I took a coworker fishing for the afternoon today and he brought his grand daughter. She's 9 years old. Smart, articulate and about as accomplished as one can be at 9. She can handle a fishing rod and reel too.

We were trolling for kokanee and trout and the bite was on so she was having fun. We all were. Nothing like and excited kid to make you feel good.

At one point she asked me if I ever went fishing for the whole day. Serious emphasis on the word "whole". I said, "Yes I do some times." She turned to her grandpa and asked, "Can we do that?"

I don't know exactly why that touched me but it did. I think maybe something in her understands why I can fish all day. Even if I don't catch anything. I think, if given the opportunity, she might understand why I hunt too. Even when I know I'm not going to see any critters to shoot I still go.

There were people all over that lake today zipping about in their boats and jet skis who I'm sure have no idea what lives there. But today a 9 year old girl learned and she appreciated it.

Comments