In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

First Gun You ever owned?

OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
Mine was a model 15A Savage .22 cal. my dad bought for me when I was 7 years old. He wouldn't let me have a B.B. Gun until I was about 9 years old. I still have it and that was 49 years ago. Started both of My boys out on it. Really a safe little gun. Single shot bolt action. I used to go with a couple buddies plinking when I was a kid. They had Pumps and toward the end of the day they was always borrowing ammo from me. A single shot kinda has a tendency to concentrate the mind.
KIMBER: Pistol du jour

Comments

• Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Winchester model 94 30-30 when I was 15 using money I earned pumping gas. $50 cash on the counter, got the gun no fuss, no muss, no goobermint bs.Gave it to my Dad a few years later and now that he's gone the gun is too. Sure wish I had it back [This message has been edited by badboybob (edited 12-29-2001).]
  • Options
    COWBOYKIDDCOWBOYKIDD Member Posts: 239
    edited November -1
    A Winchester pump .22 think it was a 64..Geezers loose their memories.. It had a broken stock and I sold it 25 yrs ago for 75 bucks lmao
    Politicians Love Gun Control / China Has Gun Control
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    graduated from generic bb gun to 303 enfield when i was 12. havent owned anything since that heavy.killed my first deer with it 3 days after i got it. 13 pts. total count. scared me s#@tless.
  • Options
    ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester Mod. 55 in 30-30Has been in the family for 3 generations.On the wall now.
  • Options
    SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mossberg 144 LSB heavy barrel target rifle.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    J.C. Higgins model 30 .22 semi auto. Still Have it, still shoots better than I do.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First Rifle...Remington 512 .22 bolt action (used $15) First Shotgun...Westernfield 12ga pump (used $20) First Pistol...Stoeger .22 cal Luger (new $125)Still have all of them....[This message has been edited by Rembrandt (edited 12-29-2001).]
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Winchester 67 cost $8, still have it
    Home of the Blue Angels, P'colaProviding a home for discontinued .22 Revolvers and PistolsNRA Pistol InstructorMember 2nd Amendment SistersNever miss a good chance to shut up (Will Rogers)
  • Options
    VarmintmistVarmintmist Member Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Win mod 67, inherited it from my dad. Still have it. Hey 22, when did you get yours? The story on mine is my dad got it got it just prior to, or during WW2, ran a trap line for money to supplement ration cards.
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    VarmintmistGot mine in 1950 when I was 12 years old.Carried it on a trap line all though High School. Caught enough "rats" to buy a Marlin 39a for $65 new. Just sold it this year for $350.
  • Options
    YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .22 H&R pistol. I would give the same $24.95 + sales tax to get it back,in fact I would let them make a little. Who ever has it.
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was moving to the "big city" of Jax, so I figured I needed a gun. Bought myself a Bauer 25 auto. Sold it for same price a couple years later. Tracked it down (it was under a carseat in Chicago) and bought it again for the same price. Still had the box and papers with it. It isn't for sale anymore.
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saxon...those Stoeger Lugers were sort of the poor mans Luger, may not have been as collectible...but teriffic plinkers! I now have two, one has the factory adjustable rear sights...Bought my first as a 21st birthday gift to myself.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    Winchester Model 37 single shot in 16 gauge. I was 11. It kicked the fool out of me, but I loved it. Still have it.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    BlokeyBlokey Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Colt Delta Elite (still NIB) purchased 3 days after Desert Storm started on my way home from being sworn in as a new US citizen. When the guy at the gun store checked my naturalization certificate for proof of US citizenship, he remarked "Couldn't wait for the ink to dry, could you?!". No way!What a country!!!
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First gun was a beat Marlin 1889 in 38-40 for $18.75 I cashed a war bond for it which anger ed my parents. I never shot it.The second was a Stevens 20 ga single with no front bead. Got lots of rabbits and a few pheasants. There are now well established housing developments and shopping centers where we used to hunt and fish, that sour good memories.
  • Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Remington .22lr model 510 targetmaster- still have it. I was 9 years old. The rifle was 10 years old--that makes it 48 years old today. Still shoots great!
  • Options
    7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H&R single shot 20g with 30-30 barrel, parents tried to turn me against deer hunting with the 30-30,almost did as I was beginning to think you couldnt kill deer at all. I'm still not a good enough hunter to hunt with a 30-30. Cant get close enough to the deer to hit it over the head with the gun! next gun was an old 30-06 given to me by my grandparents nieghbor, then the deer started to die.
    when all else fails........................
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I shot some of Dad's guns earlier, but first one I owned was given to me on my 16th birthday by my Grandpa. Marlin 880. First I bought was a marlin 60 on the Christmas break after my 18th birthday.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • Options
    bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a Savage model 24, 22 over a 20, when I was 10 (16 years ago). Cost $99 bucks brand spanking new. Put it in lay-away, and paid it off over the summer mowing yards and working for my Grand-dad at his road construction company. When I got it out, the store threw in a nice case. Still have it, and still use it for squirrels. Great gun. Let my 8 year old shoot it for the first time last week. The 20 guage popped him pretty good, but he kept right on having me load it for him. He got his first "real" gun this year for Christmas. Last year got a Daisy BB gun, this year he got a Marlin model 60 specially cut down for him. Also took him deer hunting and squirrel hunting for the first time this year. Didn't let him shoot a deer, he just wanted to watch. He did kill a squirrel sitting on an old log about 15 yards away with his new rifle. He's already a better shot than his old man! Hope everyone has a great New Year!
  • Options
    bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oops! My math is bad! I was ten years old 26 years ago! Sorry! Guess I am just getting younger.
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made my own .22 from a pellet gun then later made a multy B inserts for STAR powder tools that enabled me to shoot .22 .25 .3809MM ,.38 .45 with a modified dual firing pin set up ,that was 32 years ago also made .177/25 GB ,sure had fun thoose days. All the stuff is swiming at the sea with the fish (class III) for current date ,so had to get rid of it ,(relocation).
    Ignis Natura Renovatur Integram
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester in .257 Roberts with a Circassian walnut stuck. It's down in the basement somewhere, I think. I never did fire it. It was still in the original box the last time I saw it.OK, OK. .22 cal. Remington Gamemaster with a Weaver K-22. $49.00 all in. Still have the rifle. Scope lasted about 15 years.
  • Options
    RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beretta super grade of some kind,.410 single shot. Breakover,stainless rec. w/engraving looks as good(almost) as when Dad bought it for me when I was 5. Beautifull walnut stock,bore shiney,blueing perfecto...ah the memories..save the math.it's 43yrs old now!
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE!
  • Options
    crisisbillcrisisbill Member Posts: 487 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was 8 years old and the gun was a Marlin/Glenfield mod 100G single shot bolt action, I still have it and every now and then I take it for a walk in the woods.I felt guilty taking all my other toys out to play but leaving the one that started my maddness on the rack.
    If you Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Failfreetog@ulster.net
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    N.E.F. single-shot 12 gauge
  • Options
    win37win37 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Win 37 for my 14th Christmas hence the user name. I still have it after 44 years.[This message has been edited by win37 (edited 12-30-2001).]
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ithaca model 49 saddle gun,traded it for a 71 chevy truck bumper in high school, still miss it today.
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First gun was a present from the ol man when i started kindergarten. For those of you that can not remember, i was 5. It is a stevens bolt action 410 with a 5 round clip. Could not shoot doves, but it did a lot of rabbit and squirrel killen. I shot my first coyote with it too. A slug when i was 7 yrs old at 25 yds out of the truck window. I still take her out every once and a while to play.songdog
  • Options
    mustangmustang Member Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i got a .22 rem. nylon 76 lever. my mom got it for me when i was 8yrs old. its all back with the white dimand on the forarm. i thought it was the most beautiful gun i had ever seen! i still have it. it shoots good.you know i should clean it today, its been awhile!
  • Options
    glb243glb243 Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    An Iver-Johnson single shot, bolt action .22, still have it.
    Aim small...Miss small
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hopkins-Allen 16 ga. single barrel,well used paid 3 dollars for it.
  • Options
    FrankGFrankG Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Living in NY I had no opportunity to own a firearm without jumping through more hoops an 18-year old needed to. Was in the Army in Germany in 1972 and my first gun was a stainless Combat Masterpiece .38. Followed a few months later by a S&W model 39-2. Years later I had traded both, wish I had the 39 back.
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first gun was a Stevens 14.5 Little Scout .22LR given to me by my greatgrandfather when I was five years old after he removed the breach - when I was seven he made it fireable. Afterwards got a Crosman M-1 Carbine wood stock BB gun from grandfather and .22LR Winchester from Dad when I was nine. A 16ga Stevens SxS when 12 from grandfather and a Ruger .357 Blackhawk and Savage 110 .25-06 from Dad when 14. After that bought my own guns. Lost the Little Scout and the Blackhawk in a divorce.
    Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    My first gun was an elderly Savage 12-gauge double-barrel, used twice, being that my father had bought it used and then gave it to me when he gave up shooting.Took me a while to get over my tendency to pull both triggers while jerking up real fast for a close trap shot.Took me a few tubes of Ben-Gay to rid myself of that habit :-)
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OBoy... guess you could say it was my...Daisy, I think, BB gun. One-pump, click the bolt back to get a BB in and set the mechanism. Many, many twigs, dandelion stems, caterpillars, and even a few birds fell to it (tho my Mom forbade shooting birds). Then, my Dad had a few guns, he lost interest, so I got a Belgian Auto 5 in 20 ga, a Mauser-actioned sporter in .250 Savage (hence the moniker), and an 03-A3. The Auto 5 went to my nephew (wanted to keep it in the family) and I still search for its replacement. The first gun I bought was a Ruger GP100, and I've just about eroded the end off the barrel from shooting it. And I haven't looked back since.
  • Options
    sig380sig380 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A .177Cal Marksman Repeater
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shot dad's guns till I was 16. Then I schemed up a plan, to buy a used Remington 722 in .308, from one of dad's gun dealer friends. I worked my butt off all winter delivering newspapers. Took the dealer $10.00 a week. Paper route paid $12.00 a week. Took eleven long weeks to pay for it.I would gladly pay three times the $125.00 I sold it for. The following sept. I got a Mossberg 500 12 ga, for my birthday. WOODS
  • Options
    S&W 629S&W 629 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First rifle... Marlin 336, 30.30First Shotgun.. Browning Sweet 16 (Belgium)First Handgun.. Ruger Blackhawk .45 LC30.30 and .45 Long Colt are history. But I won't part with the Browning.