In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

anybody ever done it?

the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
a tax break on a donated vehicle? is it worth it? my fish car just died i think...a blown head gasket or exhaust gasket?...i bought the thing for 200.00 and ran it back-n-forth to colorado from chicago twice- it developed a massive shaking that scared me to death on the way back last time, so it isn't worth it to fix the thing. so....how and why does this donation thing work......?

Comments

• jdb123jdb123 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    theres a car donation place here in tx called "cars for kids" it benifets some kids homes and stuff, anyway they will pick the car up at no expence to you {running or not} and give you a reciept for tax purposes at the value of the car.
  • DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know how it works in different states, but I know if you're only going to write off $200 in total donations for tax purposes, it's probably not going to make any difference in the amount of your return. For me, I'd have to donate over $300 to even write it down.My parents donated a 1989 Taurus station wagon to their local church in 2001. If you don't get any good information, I could probably find out a little more about how it works. All I really know about that transaction is they got a receipt for the current blue book value from the church and wrote that off as their donation, along with all their other donations for the year. Sorry I can't help more.
  • the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well, what i thought it was, was you'd give it to em(a lot of charities take them) and you get bluebook for it to write off. 90 chev cavalier is worth alot more than i paid for it...in chicago, it cost more to register it than buy it...so i figure, maybe donate it...but how do i get another 200$ fishcar? or am misinformed or is there a "catch"?...