In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Clinton Gun Ban Sunset?

PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I am curious. Do we have a prayer of this god awesful piece of legislation sunsetting? Are we already screwed, or do we have a chance of this ban sunsetting an disapearing? Just want to hear what everyone's input is

Patrick Buzzard
Michigan National Guard
19K-- tanker
"Strike Hard!!"

Comments

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The current law will sunset. It will run out in 2004. The question is whether another bill will be passed to replace it, and signed by G.W. Some of us are kinda waiting to see if he bends us over and screws us by passing a Democrat-written replacement, before we decide what to do about him in November. If he can't apply some of that lavish spending on programs guaranteed to create jobs rather than prop up corporate prices, he's got a hard, hard sell. If he loses 4 million voting NRA members plus a share of the rest of the gun owners in this country, who tend to be one-issue voters, he's in deep doo-doo. If he's going to pass Democrat gun bills anyway, why not have a guy in the White House for 4 years who will create some social programs for out-of-work Americans? All he's done lately is hand billions to corporations that are, basically, identified as the enemy where job loss and lost medical benefits is concerned. If he can't even veto gun control in the post-9/11 era, what good is he?

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    Invest in vaseline-you will need it!

Bush says he will keep the AWB!

Gun_smokes.gif

Swanton.gif
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    That is what I am afraid of. I happen to be one of those "One issue voters" you were speaking of. I have spoken before about finding myself to have more libertarian leanings as of late. I think I will do as you mentioned and just wait to see how things shape up. I could never bring myself to vote for a democrat, but if Bush screws us and passes a decomcrat written gun ban, he WILL NOT get my vote. As you said, what good is having a republican in office who passes leftiest legislation?

Patrick Buzzard
    Michigan National Guard
    19K-- tanker
    "Strike Hard!!"
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    They will let it set, then pass some other legislation that is worse by pushing it through on the tail of some non descript bill, and then will announce,, GUESS WHAT we got a new law..[:o)]

flageagle.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SaxonPig
    Look for mass shootings as date for vote gets closer to bring media and public pressure for to renew. Always seems like there are mass shootings whenever gun control bills are being debated. I no longer believe it is coincidence.

I would like to think this is paranoia, but it does get harder and harder to take that position. The "single wacko shooters" do tend to have real bad timing whenever the Constitution is under attack. And the Dems have no compunction about taking a carving knife to it, since they claim to believe it doesn't apply to "the people" anyway.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Offeror:
    quote:If he can't even veto gun control in the post-9/11
    era, what good is he?

His ratings are headed straight to the toilet, and this is how I see it playing out:
    He'll strongarm the republicans in congress to introduce and pass a replacement bill that will be slightly MORE restrictive than the current AWB. (Of course they WILL, because it's their duty as republicans,,, RIGHT??)
    He'll then sign the bill into law as close to November as he possibly can, calculating that the idiot gun owners will vote for him anyway because they believe the alternative (a democrat in the white house) is too ghastly to even consider.
    Remember, he's already stated publicly that he supports the current assault on your 2nd ammendment rights!
    GW doesn't give a crap about us, he cares only about getting re-elected and he will believe (incorrectly) that to pass further restrictive gun laws will win the hearts and votes of the "Soccer Moms"!

Like father, like son!
    A lying, deceitful one term schmuck!!

The Bush administration sends tens of thousands of American military to protect the sovereignty of nations around the world, while trading our own sovereignty for hispanic votes!
  • GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can honestly say I haven't been too happy with the way things have been looking. We're spending money faster than it comes in. I'd like to think that GWB has at least some advisors who are smart enough to know if it's a dead-heat for re-election that signing some gun control will push the election in favor of the dems. A gun control bill won't get people to vote for Bush who wouldn't have already, but instead, cause people like us to sit home.

Sometimes, when someone is talking to me, my mind drifts off and I
    start thinking about guns I'd like to own.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by stanman

He'll then sign the bill into law as close to November as he possibly can, calculating that the idiot gun owners will vote for him anyway because they believe the alternative (a democrat in the white house) is too ghastly to even consider.
    Remember, he's already stated publicly that he supports the current assault on your 2nd ammendment rights!
    GW doesn't give a crap about us, he cares only about getting re-elected and he will believe (incorrectly) that to pass further restrictive gun laws will win the hearts and votes of the "Soccer Moms"!

XRING- It seems republicans just refuse to understand that pandering to the left does not get them more votes from the left.
    Bush has been on a role. CFR, Amnesty for illegal aliens,prescription entitlement, increased NEA funding, all hoping to garnish votes from the other side. The other side, will not vote for him,no matter what he does, and the right side, will not vote for him because of the pandering. He expects to net more votes, wyhen the reality is, he will net less because the people on the right will not vote for him.
    This haappens over and over again with Republicans, and they refuse to accept it is a losing practice.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    I reluctantly agree: look for shootings as the decision time for the bill draws near. Sad, but the pattern is clear.
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    It'll never sunset, I'm not even going to get my hopes up. Even if it does sunset another one will be shoved through.

aliens.jpg
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If not random shootings, another Waco?
    There always seems to be something to expound on.
    Coincidence? I do not think so either.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a little ignorant of the procedure, but can he just sign the AWB that is about to sunset without congress' input? The reason I ask is that I thought that congress would have to put forth a law that he would have to sign. And I may be wrong, but I thought that the AWB renewal is a hot topic in Congress that may never get through.

I may be wrong; it may be wishful thinking. What do yall think?

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    And you know, it's really peculiar how many of the "pscho killers" shoot themselves after they go on their rampage. It's almost like some sort of drugged or otherwise programmed type of behavior.