In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Yugo SKS?????

matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
If you guys were going to get a SKS for a plinker, what exactly would you consider? For example, I see some of these Yugos on here for a pretty decent price, 110.00-150.00. What are your opinions on, milled receiver, threaded bbls. etc. It looks as though you could even spend 15-20 bucks more and get matching numbers on one just for kicks. Just kicking an idea around.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shooter grade, $89.95 with free shipping.
    Or $109.95 for Excellent Grade.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Yugoslavian_M59_66_7_62x39_SKS_Rifle.html

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Something up with their site, "cannot find server." Thanks for the link I'll try them again later.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get an un-issued one, if possible. I got a shooter grade one & it won't hit a barn wall from the inside. I think it's because of the grenade launcher having been used a lot. I have an Albanian SKS that shoots GREAT. DON'T get an Albanian if you're contemplating putting a Fiberforce stock on it 'cause it won't fit.
    They ARE a blast to shoot.
    [:D][:D]barto

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.-JFK
  • 0341USMC0341USMC Member Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a brand new Norinco a few yerrs back it was a very good gun.
    remember if you buy cheap you get cheap.

Semper Fi
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Matwor: try just the www.aimsurplus.com

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Like matwor, I too have a growing interest in this rifle. Still in the thought process because of a few that really seem to prefer the reliability of the AK. At the same time, I do not have a desire to own the AK just because of the "look".

So, I guess the question is,
    is the SKS still considered "very" reliable?
    What is the "worst" thing about them.

And pick,
    thanks for the link,
    even the ammo seems resonable and plentiful at an amazing low cost even for the match grade. Or so it seems to me.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I * my Yugo SKS but for some reason I like my Norinco better.As a choice I would take my AK's over just about any rifle for a SHTF Rifle.I have a Robinson Veper-K AK and a Romanian SAR-1 7.62x39.The Veper cost twice the price of the Romanian SAR-1 but the SAR-1 is just as good in every way.If you buy a Romanian AK try to get one with the serial no 2001 or above which is the latter part of the Serial no.These guns are of better quality than some of the older ones.Mine had no trigger slap or kanted sights and the furniture wasnt bad either.I still replaced the trigger group even though I had no problems.For the money IMHO you cant beat it.

Best!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SKS = extremely reliable.

All SKS have milled recievers.

I got a Yugo "excellent" from AIM, and haven't the slightest regret. I think it was "unissued", but had a few armory or shipping dings in the stock.

AIM's service is the BEST.

The main downside to Yugos is the lack of chrome in the barrel. Also, they have a lot of "extras" that make them heavier.

"Go to Lakedaemon, stranger passing by;
    And say there, that in obedience to her law, here we lie"
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Lack of a chrome lining in the barrel is a plus, if you're not going to slop the rifle around in the rain, sand, and mud, and fire corrosive ammo.