In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WD-40 on guns

crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in General Discussion
How do you fellows feel about using wd-40 on your guns to oil them up after using them. I have heard different opinions on this matter.I have been using it for several years now and my guns all look like the day a bought them or the day a received them as a gift from my father and mother when I was just a kid, Blued and stainless. I have had people say don't ever use this oil on a gun but I find it hard to beleive after using it for so long and the guns still look brand new!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This same question has come up dozens of times, both here and on ask the experts. The general opinion tends to be (as well as my own) that while WD40 is at probably adequit for use on firearms, there are many firearms specific lubricants/protectants which are much more effective and their costs, while higher than WD40, are not prohibitive.

Mark T. Christian
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brylcream used to look good on hair too. WD-40 can be used on weapons,however, it is best for locks, hinges, and that sort of hardware.

Weapons grade oil is slightly heavier as a rule and is composed of compounds of a different nature.

If you are happy with WD-40, nothing beats success.
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I prefer Brake-Free but if its working for you stick with it.
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not see where it is doing damage so I am going to keep using it! Thanks!

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    WD-40, the gunsmiths best friend. Why? Because he makes a lot of money "repairing" guns that are all gummed up with WD-40.
    WD-40 is a parafin based lube in a solvent carrier, once the carrier evaporates whats left is mainly wax. You would do as well to clean and lube with a birthday candle.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where can I get a 9mm Birthday Candle? [:D] [:D] [8D]

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NEVER use wd-40 on a firearm!!!! While it may be a good intitial use,..it has negative effects. it is a penetrating oil,..which means it will not only penetrate metal,..but it will penetrate wood as well. The stocks that you have seen which are darker around the action and quite often split,...are stocks which have experienced the wd-40 reaction. It will ROT wood stocks due to it penetrating the grain and making them soft!!!! Use rem-oil,..as it is MUCH lighter and will NOT rot the wood.

I have seen wd-40 gum up in super cold conditions during duck hunts due to the paraphin content. Rem-oil will not because of it's base being teflon.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am with JUSTC on this one, WD40 is a bad idea on firearms
    Stocks in particular, I have seen many Nice gun stocks and some aloy receiver finishes ruined by the stuff.I can see useing the WD40 in a pinch like if your gun got soaked with rain and snow in the field and a blast or two before you case it for the trip home, But regular maintance should be left to Gun-grade lubes. I am quite Fond of Rem-oil myself[;)]

use_deer.jpg
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know it's going to displace any moisture on or in it especially on percussion guns cleaned with water. After handling I give them a light spray and wipedown with a bare hand leaving only a thin film.
    You can also flush a gun without taking it apart. My only care is not to let the wood get soaked. The guns are allowed to drain standing on their muzzles.
    edited November -1
    A candle is stretching it 100 miles I would say!

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    A few years ago..I was forced to oil up and lay away a few guns in a spot not conducive to keeping 'temp controlled'..due to moving.

I used Break-Free on half...WD-40 on the other half.This was an attempt to be sure I at least achieved 50 % survival rate..

The firing pins on my 700 Remingtons would not fall...WD-40 treated.The insides of the bolts were coated with that "Waxy substance" mentioned above...

No more WD-40 for me....

EVERY gun coated with Breakfree CLP came thru with flying colors...there was rust on the WD-40's..
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    I've just started using a white grease on the rails and slides of my 1911's, and the racking the slide is immediately noticable. It is smoother, quieter, and seems tighter.
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    NEVER use wd-40 on a firearm!!!!...

It will ROT wood stocks due to it penetrating the grain and making them soft!!!!

Rot is fungus--WD-40 will not rot, nor contribute, to wood rot; in fact, it will act to preserve most wood. Its solvents will remove some wood finishes--especially hand-rubbed oil finishes.

quote:
    I have seen wd-40 gum up in super cold conditions during duck hunts due to the paraphin content.

WD-40 has no paraphin or wax in it--it is petroleum based. Read what the company says about their product:

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html

I don't know what the cold temperature limits are for WD-40 (I just emailed the company asking them--I'll post their reply when I get it), but most oils will have lower temperature ranges--which needs to be considered when using a firearm in extreme cold.

I use WD-40 all the time. I've never experienced any "build-up" as others have claimed above--in fact, I've found WD-40 to be extremely effective in removing grimy, greasy build-up from neglected guns I've purchased.

WD-40 is safe and effective to use on firearms. (In spite of the "myths" about the product some seem intent on starting/repeating above.) Again, read about the product/uses from the company:

"Use WD-40 to clean and protect your gun."

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I've been using it ,as have all of my bird hunting buddies, for over thirty years on all of my shotguns. Spray a little on a Tico Tool and swab out the barrel. Spray a bit on a cleaning rag and wipe down the action and outside of the gun. The thing you have to remember is that you are working on a molecular level with this stuff so you don't need to spray it on the gun or soak them down in it. My dad used it on his combat guns in all kinds of extreme climates as well as using it on his sporting guns which I have now. They all look and work like new. Every few years we hear the "gun destroying" stories about it, but I choose to believe my own eyes and decades of practical experience with it.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    We use Wd-40 by the drums at work!! Never for a lubricant, but as a cleaning agent, and a rustinhibitor! I personally would never use it on my guns!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • skipjackoneskipjackone Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WD-40 is a good light duty cleaning agent, but is just too light to act as a lasting lube. I have used it for years, but occasionaly have to default to gun solvent for the really dirty jobs. WD-40 is a lot easier on my skin than solvent. I always make my final coat a gun oil or 3 in 1 oil.

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I'm always picking up older,neglected guns that usually have some light(or not so light)surface rust.EG:I'm in the process of "cleaning up" a Winchester mod 67A that had quite a bit of it.While refinishing the stock,I gave the metal a good coat of WD,let it sit a couple of days,wipe it off and do it again.Each time I wiped it down,the rag would be rust colored.I finished the stock last night,wiped the metal down for the third time and re-assembled it.Except for one stubborn spot on the barrel(I'll use a penny on that in a couple of days),all the rust is gone.However,once I get it as good as it's gonna get,I'll be using Rem-Oil.[;)]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    My best friend's husband is a gunsmith. Last winter, my car door froze up while I was visiting them. I asked if I might borrow some WD40 to fix it. Was told ,in no uncertain terms, that they do not allow WD40 in the house, as it is the worse thing that you can do to a firearm. If anyone knows, a gunsmith would.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used it for years with no negative results. I prefer G-96
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Five years ago I bought a muzzleloader from a very well respected builder/retailer. He told me the only thing I should put on or in the gun, is WD40(besides soapy water). He said to use it to clean it, and then use it to lubricate when finished. Told me to wipe down the gun , the lock, the stock, etc with WD40.
    I heard many say that WD40 should not be used on ANY firearms, but I figured this guy has been building guns for 100 years.
    Then I was speaking to a friend, who shoots muzzleloaders. He told me to clean it with a soap solution, and then run some bore butter patches down the barrel. Said to rub it on the barrel externally, and then use rem oil on the lock. So I did what he said. Took the gun out 3 months after the last cleaning, the lock had rust. Took the touch hole liner out, and there was rust along the touch hole. Never saw a speck of rust while using wd40, never did the lock malfunction. Go another route, and I see rust. The only thing I will now use on my Muzzleloaders is WD40.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Bought my Rem.Mod. 700 BDL in 1969.Never used anything other than WD-40.There is not a speck of rust or corrosion on it.Stock is still in fine shape.[:)]

Looks new except for a few scratches I put on it.Numerous Hunting trips the first 15 years I had it.Never a problem here.

I think a lot of Firing Malfunctions are due to heavier oils collecting dust and dirt and thickening to somewhat like grease that makes a gun malfunction.

1-Powder

2-Patch

3-Ball

4-Remove the Rod

5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never been a big fan of WD-40 for guns. I really like Hoppes #9 and just the smell brings back great memories of my youth. Seems like no has mentioned that brand in this discussion.

I am new to the Black Powder world (with a wonderful T/C Omega 50) ... but I could not bring myself to use warm soapy water on a gun. Am I being stupid?[?]
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use WD-40 when I get caught out in the rain with a firearm,
    I spray the whole thing down and wipe it off to protect the metal.
    the stuff was developed to displace moisture, and it works great at
    that.
    Don

eng.JPG
    Welcome to America...Now speak English.
    ````````````````````````
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    Might as well throw in my 2 cents.I have found that wd 40 works for short term protection.My favorite though is Hoppes no. 9.I buy it by the quart bottle,and it has always done a good job for me.I think it would also make an excellant after shave.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    andersk The olden way of cleaning your muzzle-loader was in boiling water, because it would evaporate and not rust the metal. Must have been heck on your hands, but I've read accounts of "father rodding out the rifle in a huge pot of boiling water" * not my dad
    edited November -1
    Hey salzo, You can't tell anything to some people. I have been using wd40 for a very long time and never have had wax build up or malfunction when it is very cold. All guns still look brand new with no WOOD DAMAGE. ONe main thing. Everybody has their own opinion and I guess everybody should just keep using what they usually use. I do know that I am going to have brand new looking guns for ever using my wd40! Happy Cleaning with you WD!

• kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have only had the "waxy" buildup show up on guns I have gotten from others. When I build a pistol or refurbish one I use WD-40 through the process of working with the gun and then use Hoppes on the finished product for storage. WD is the main lube here.

The "wax" is loosened by the WD and then runs and pools, and dries in a thick film or wad. I am not sure what causes the waxy buildup, BUT I AM SURE ITS NOT THE WD-40. I use Birchwood Casey Solvent degreaser to clear out all the crap and use WD to protect the blued metals while I work. I have never had any of my weapons gum up, or fail and like I said, WD-40 is what I have always used.

Its cheap and I go through it like fooey through a goose. None of my weapons has rust or wax. Now as far as what it does to wood...[:(!]

James
    royalthaiarmy.gifrtaflag.jpg
    Do your troops train with live cobras? ROYAL THAI ARMY DOES!
    edited November -1
    Sorry I cannot agree.
    I "repeated no myths"..contrary to the statement above.

The story I related happened....TO ME.Irrelevent to me if you believe it or not.The bolt was cleaned properly before spritzing with WD-40.

Your guns..do as you please.
  • sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 858
    edited November -1
    Using WD-40 and super-fine steel wool is one of the best ways to remove rust from a blued finish without harming the bluing. On the other hand, I once put an SKS barreled action in a wallpaper trough and filled it with WD-40 to try and protect the entire action inside and out. I forgot about it for a few weeks, and when I checked on it, the WD-40 was mostly evaporated, and the barreled action was immersed in a brown sludge-like substance.

For cleaning, rust dissolving, and moisture displacement, WD-40 is good. For lubricating and protecting, use something better.
    edited November -1
    quote:sharkman69 Posted - 02/22/2004 : 11:35:30 PM
    other hand, I once put an SKS barreled action in a wallpaper trough and filled it with WD-40 to try and protect the entire action inside and out. I forgot about it for a few weeks, and when I checked on it, the WD-40 was mostly evaporated, and the barreled action was immersed in a brown sludge-like substance.

Now,now,now..Sharkman...PLEASE stop spreading these vicious,unfounded myths about the wonder solvent,WD-40.....you should be ASHAMED of yourself..!![}:)][:0][:0][:D]
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll second your sentiment Highball. "your guns,..do as you wish" but if I were a buyer of one,..and I smelled wd40 on it,..it's being returned.

I too have SEEN with MY OWN eyes,..the damage caused by wd40 to a wood stock of my first shotgun (1100 rem) which is now discolored and cracked at the action/stock junction where the wd40 leached into the wood. If ROT isn't the technical term preferred by all memebrs of our resident scientist club,..then how about,... "deteriorates and/or softens" There are better penetrators for working on rusted parts,..such as Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster,..and there are far superior lubricants/protectants for firearms,...such as Rem-Oil. To Each his own,..

And here in the Eastern Coast Flyway,...we see more than our share of duck hunts,..and often in very cold conditions out on the river shores. WD40 has long since been abandoned by just about every serious gunner in this region,..becuase they have at one time or another had a WD40 treated semi-auto shotgun,..stop working while out in the blind. Again,..to each his own

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sharkman69 said:
    ========
    For cleaning, rust dissolving, and moisture displacement, WD-40 is good. For lubricating and protecting, use something better.
    =========
    Now that reminds me ... I used to use WD-40 on my bicycle chain and a bicycle man told me I was better off to use nothing if my desire was lubrication. 3 in 1 is much better or any oil but not WD-40.

I've heard that WD - 40 is good for arthritis, too. I'm not going to try that either! [:D]
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,449 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WD-40 is essentially kerosene. Works fine as a cleaner, fair as a penetrating oil, poorly as a lubricant, and does penetrate and soften wood. Has no place on a gun unless you are doing some metal cleaning to remove rust.

Polymer chemists get paid a pile to develop special purpose lubricants for a variety of uses. Use a good gun lubricant!

He Dog
  • Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    WD-40 is essentially kerosene. Works fine as a cleaner, fair as a penetrating oil, poorly as a lubricant, and does penetrate and soften wood. Has no place on a gun unless you are doing some metal cleaning to remove rust.

Polymer chemists get paid a pile to develop special purpose lubricants for a variety of uses. Use a good gun lubricant!

He Dog

Um...the company said there was no Kerosene in WD-40, I use it on my AK and SKS all the time...
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its ok, but why?
    there are a million better products
    It is not enginnered specificly for firearms and you can do better
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,061 ******
    edited November -1
    WD-40 makes a pretty good impromptu flame thrower, and will take down a pesky wasp nest. Actually, it will take down the wasps whether shot at them on fire or not. But with fire, it's more fun.

It is good for dissolving road tar off the side of your vehicle.

I don't use it on guns.
  • AHansenAHansen Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WD40 keeps the world turning and Duct tape keeps it together. But i don't use it on my guns unless i need a preclean to loosen things up before digging in. Rem oil works good for me.
  • MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Gunz
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog

He Dog

Um...the company said there was no Kerosene in WD-40, I use it on my AK and SKS all the time...

Stop bringing up old threads!
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When my father passed away back in 1988 his guns were stored for me till I reached age 21 (1997). For those 9 years they were hosed down in WD40 and stored in a gun safe at the house of a family friend.

I have no complaints. However I use G96 on all my guns. For clear barrels I use Hoppes #9 and occasionally Sweets 7.62.