In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Defining a yankee??

PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
My college marching band director was a resident of Virginia for his entire life. He comes up to Michigan for 6 years before returning to UVA to be their first marchign band director. Now I hear that they are accusing him of being "North Vader," Somehow even though he has only lived in yankee land for 6 years he is now a bona-fide yankee upon returning home? How does that work? How does one who was raised in the South, Lived in the south, become a yankee in such a short period of time? Either way, UVA has just got themselves one hell of a professor, hope they appreciate him.

Rant Ended

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
- General George Patton Jr

Comments

• H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That doesn't make much sense. But then again I'm half Yankee because my dad is from Michigan, even though my mom is from the South and I was born in the South.

10-X.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some people residing below the former Mason-Dixon line take the view that anyone originally from an area north of that demarcation - and apparently someone who has resided in "enemy territory" for a significant period - is a "Yankee." I find it amusing to contemplate the discomfort they would feel in talking with a frog or other international citizen to whom all US residents are "Yankees." In point of fact, the term is only properly applied to residents of the New England states and in my view, only those sufficiently north of Boston not to be contaminated by the stench of that festering cess pool - i.e., NATIVES of the three northern New England states are the only ones deserving of the honorific. Most of those whom Southern gentlefolk refer to politely as "Damyankees" deserve terms far less polite . . . when I'm in a real good mood, I call 'em flatlanders. On the average day, the terms I apply would be poofed here. Interestingly, after just six years in this country, my wife detests the flatlander mindset as much as I do (at first she thought I was merely exaggerating!). I think that defines their "culture."

Your professor, as good as he might be, ain't no Yankee. The *REAL* Yankees have far more in common with the folks in the South than they do with many the South terms "Yankees."

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Defining a yankee??

Anything East of the Missura River [}:)][}:)][:D][;)][8D][:o)]

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    C'mon iconoclast, when you're referring to little "y" %#*&>>> yankees as "flatlanders" you are being, at the least, disrespectful to us flatlanders South of the Mason-Dixon who live in the coastal areas. My nephew-in-law who is from NH wouldn't like it either!!
    As far as the "perfesser" is concerned, he should be welcomed with open arms as a repatriate!! Just goes to show you what the brightness level of them UVA'ers is[:)][:X]

OleDuk
  • Jody CommanderJody Commander Member Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I could fill a thousand ditches with them Yankee Sunsaonageres!"
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PATBUZZARD, It's funny how people at UVA are picking at your friend, seeing as MOST of the folks at that school are snooty yanks themselves. Charlottesville is funny that way. It's like thousands of people from New England and New York City all packed up their volvos at the same time and moved down and settled there. Lots of good folks in the surrounding counties, but most try to avoid going to town.
  • sitkablacktailsitkablacktail Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heck the whole lower 48 are southerners to me and any state east of beach in Washington are easterners too. So you southeasterners are so up tight about this whole were are you from thing.[:p]
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    I always get a kick out of someone calling me a Yankee. My grandparents immigrated here after the civil war and the state I was born in and live in was not a state when the "great war" was fought.

I still say I am a rebel as I am a firm believer in state's rights and the least amount of federal governance possible to maintain a union for protection and progress.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OleDuk, all I can say is the Volvo / tennis / tofu crowd are not only flatlanders, they are also exactly what you called 'em (and at that, I think you were being polite, too! [:D]) I guess the best way to describe them is "french?" [}:)][}:)]

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • riverguide323riverguide323 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While growing up in the South (Arkansas), I was taught, that people from any state that fought for the Union were Yankees. And that they were not to be trusted!

I have lived in the Rocky Mountains now for over a decade and have lost my Southern accent. Whenever I go home, some jackarse down there will always end up calling me a Yankee. It now seems that in Arkansas, anyone from outside the South is a Yank'. I have even heard speculation that Virginia is no longer the south, because their population is "Yankified".

I guess definitions, like everything, change with time.

.................................................................................................
    "Pure wildness is the one great want, both of men and of sheep (John Muir)."

"In Wilderness is the Preservation of the World (Thoreau)."
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Yankees are employees of George Steinbrenner who play baseball. Everybody else is just a plain old American.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Josey Wales shot them with a Colt, and then mowed them down with a Gatling gun. Those were the days.
  • leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Belly ache all you want, we won the war.[}:)]

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get so tired of this mickey mouse mason dixon crap I could puke.
    Give it a break.
    [V][V]barto

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.-JFK
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Texas we would say a Yankee was anyone North of the Red River.[:D]
    Or anyone from the upper east coast who came down to visit. A Dam Yankee was anyone from this region you came down and stayed.[;)]

And now I live in NY State. It must be my punishment?[^]

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
    edited November -1
    Do you know what a "good yankee" is?

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No David I don't .

Maybe when Dawn is feeling frisky [:I] ?

What is the answer ?

Work like you don't need the money.

Love like you've never been hurt.

And dance like no one is watching.

Have guns,will travel<P>
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loosen up barto, most of it is just fun[:)][:)]!! iconoclast and DBV have got it pretty well right. Even Ted Kennedy (barf, barf, double barf) went there. Heard he almost got kicked out. Too bad, "almost"!![:D]!
    OleDuk
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,457 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last time I looked the Missouri River runs pretty much West to East. Could you mean the Missipi? When I came to New Mexico I heard the term native a lot. I asked what it took and was told, if you are Anglo you have to have been born here. If you are hispanic, your grandparents have to have been born here. If you are Native American, your family has to have been here at least 800 years.

Guess I am still a yankee.

He Dog
  • jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Do you know what a "good yankee" is?

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net

A Northerner's Sex life [^]

fc6cb6ef.gif
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:defining a yankee??

its like a quickie but you do it by yourself[:0][}:)][:D]

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others"
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    You Yankees couldn't have won the war without us Rebs. [B)]
  • SwwboSwwbo Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey I grew up in Alabama.. Live here in Virginia now for the last 23 years.. My family in Alabama tell me I live in Yankee Land...
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Usually requires
    ->10 or less fingers
    ->10 or less toes
    ->opposible thumbs
    ->living north of the Mason-Dixon
    ->knowing that not all houses have wheels
    ->understanding that there are different types of "hooch"
    ->not really understanding the "Lynyrd Skynyrd" thing
    ->not having a tail[;)]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd guess any body who uses Confederate flag toilet paper might be defined as a Yankee! Beach
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kingjoey
    ->not really understanding the "Lynyrd Skynyrd" thing

who wouldn't understand the "Lynyrd Skynyrd" thing?
    why thats just unAmerican

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others"
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sing on FREE BIRD.[:D]

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)