In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How to seal and paint mortar?

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2007 in General Discussion
I built my mom a log cabin. This is an Appalachian style cabin with dovetail notches and a one to two inch chinking gap between the logs.
In the middle of this gap I put foam four inches wide, which makes the gap airtight and well insulated.
So the chinking is foam.
Foam doesn't look too good, and doesn't hold up under sunlight. On the outside of the foam I buttered on a layer of white mortar, about 3/4 inch thick.
Mostly this mortar is working quite well. There are porches on two sides of the house and they stay quite dry.
However, on the gable ends, sometimes rain will hit the logs, in spite of the 42 inch roof overhang that I built into the roof.
Over ten years, a little of the white color has leached from the mortar, and onto the logs. It looks bad.
I am going to have to stain the logs to conceal the rather faint white streaks that have come from the mortar. That is no big deal I have a source for log cabin stain and I stained my own log cabin this year.
On my mom's cabin I need to seal this mortar to keep any more of the color from leaching out. Also I need to paint it.
Any suggestions?

Comments