In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

70's model Troy Bilt Horse

dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in General Discussion
I picked one up on the list for $75.00. It runs but will need some cleaning. I did not need it but I could not pass it up. Don

Comments

• Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the pony model from 1990. It still runs strong.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    great Tiller most likely TEMCUMSE engine you might need to get a replacement or rebuild
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both a Horse model and my FIL's Pony. I need to get the Horse running and sell it, as the Pony does anything this old man needs to.

They are great machines.
  • Options
    evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buy two sets of drive belts, the first one to eat the rust off the pulleys, the next for plowing.

thats the only problem i ever have with mine
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    great Tiller most likely TEMCUMSE engine you might need to get a replacement or rebuild

It has the H60 Tecumseh and it runs great. I have the same motor on my Sears 3 point tiller. They are great motors. Don
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    yes Decon 12 they are very good motors but getting long i the tooth and hard to get parts for them.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have one myself bought a new carb a couple years ago. good to go another twenty years or so.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    I picked one up on the list for $75.00. It runs but will need some cleaning. I did not need it but I could not pass it up. Don

Wow! That's a tiller and a half at a fantastic price. Nicely done.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Pony. The old Troy Built tillers are the best.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent deal Don

I have a Tecumseh engine parts list book that cover just about every Tecumseh engine made. Your engine should have a number something like H60-75000F. If you need a part number just let me know.

Also with the tillers serial number I can tell you what month and year it was built..

I know where two old 70's TB Horse tillers are. But every time I check on them the guy is like.. "I don't know if would sell them or not". Sad thing about them is, they are in the bed of an old truck unprotected from the weather. Chaps my asz a little to see them go to waste like that.
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Clinton model 498 off a 1970s Troybilt Trojan Horse tiller. Cast iron block with 4-1/2 hp. I have a collection of appox 30 old cast iron single cylinder engines. The biggest Briggs are my favorite.

Chief Iron Belly.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,975 ******
    edited November -1
    I bought a new 'horse' in 1986 with the 'TEMCUMSE' c.i. 8 hp engine. rebuilt it once the replaced it with a Honda, stars with `1 pull now