In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is there any value in a 2000 amp circuit breaker?

guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
So I'm scrapping this huge UPS and it has two 3 pole GE Power Break 2000 max. amp circuit breakers in it. I'm talking the big ones, that you have to crank the handle to charge to engage the breaker. The units were new in 1993 and were stored servicable. I think the guy said the UPS's were 1000kva- whatever that means! Anyway, this whole thing weighs about 38000 pounds. Parts is parts!UPS- Uninterruptable Power Supply, -'cuz I know you were going to ask!

Comments

• OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    They would have to be some good money if you can find some one in the market for them. I will try to ask a buddy of mine that deals in used Transformers all over the United States and See What he says and let you know something tomorrow night! Auto
  • jetjet Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    put it on your bathroom wall and lable it"fan"
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can think of a perfect use for it, and a great place to send it to; the detainee camp in Cuba.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most any company with more than 100 employees has a UPS to protect their data. I think it would make a great target for FMJ's. No idea of scrap value!!!
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    a lot of the contact points in circuit breakers are pure silver or real close. barto
    the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer
  • smokey1smokey1 Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    I like the batthroom idea - or out in the shop to impress nosey neighbors. Wonder what a 50 BMG would do to it?
  • turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uninterruptable sounds like it might have some juice left in it.I'd be very careful where I grabbed it from, when moving it around.The value will be in the copper wiring inside.I would consult an expert.
  • smokey1smokey1 Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    g&p,If you are serious about selling this goliath CB, I would reccomend checking out Graybar, or All-Phase supply. I believe they might purchase such an item.
  • S&W ManS&W Man Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only value to those 2000amp breakers is if you were going to build a new 1000KVA ups or were working with some EXTREMELY large, high power equipment that needed them, like a generator before they transformed the output. Then you have a need. for normal people or usage, great paperweight.
    The second admendment GUARANTEES the other nine and the Constitution!
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate the crank up kind. If they don't catch you can have a factory down for some time. They are very high priced. I know a place in Toledo and another up in Michigan that may be interested in them. Which place is nearest to you? If they have been outdoors junk them. Rosie
    edited November -1
    G & P.H. contact Kelly at this e-mail address: triwest1@prodigy.net I talked to him today and he may be able to help you find a home for them! Give him a complete discription of them and any information that is on the nameplate. He deals in used Transformers all over the United States and may be able to help you out. Auto
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These things are excellant+. They were in a clean room while in service and stored in a controlled enviroment. Never been wet. If you think the CB's are big, you should see the transformers in this puppy! I had smaller ponies! And yes, all is discharged, thanks for the heads up! I will follow up on these leads.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Salinger Electric. 1-800-424-3690
  • Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The UPS you are scraping its worth$1,000,000$1 per watt of power, If unit is bigger may be worth more ,multiply amps by voltage rating output to calculate power.Why scraped? when you can put it to work and have your own community power utility by investing in solar cells and some BIG batterys. (Get manufacturer service manual) May be worth more repaired and ready to use!
    edited November -1
    I think I gave you the wrong e-mail, try triwest#1@prodigy.net or the phone and fax is (316) 796-1782.