In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question--

REBJrREBJr Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Say I'm going to build a garage. I want 30 x 30 for a square footage of 900 sq ft.I don't have room to go 30 wide, but can go 20, and I have room to go 40 deep instead of 30. 20 x 40=800 sq ft. I subtracted 10 wide, then added it in on the other side, so why am I down 100 sq ft? -Ralph
Nothing very, very good or very, very bad lasts for very, very long.

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    30X30 you are squaring 30... whereas 20X40 you are just multiplying. Consider this. 30 squared is 900, 20 squared is 400, 40 squared is 1600. As a number increases, its square increases geometrically.Or something like that.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    YOU ARE TAKING 300 FT. OFF WHEN YOU DROP IT DOWN TO 20FT. WIDE BUT ONLY ADDING ON 200 FT. WHEN YOU ADD THE 10FT.. DRAW IT OUT IN SEGMENTS AND DO THE MATH IT WILL COME OUT FOR YOU...OTO
    edited November -1
    WHY DON'T YOU MAKE IT 24 X 40 THEN YOU WILL HAVE 960 SQ. FEET AND THE SIDES ARE MULTIPLES OF 4 FT. SO YOU WON'T HAVE TO CUT ANY OF YOUR PLYWOOD OR CELLOTEX ON THE SIDES FOR SHEEETING...JUST THE ROOF DUE TO THE OVERHANG....
    edited November -1
    P.S GARAGES ARE KINDA LIKE GUNS YOU CAN'T HAVE ENOUGH SQUARE FEET. IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON LIVING THERE FOR A LONG TIME I WOULD BUILD IT AS BIG AS I COULD AFFORD....JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH....OTO