In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Making Money on the Road, My New Job?

boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Well, I'm looking at a shift in my carreer, basically the same thing I do now but a bit different. I have an opportunity to become a contract Quality Assurance Auditor with a subsidiary of SAE, doing Nondestructive Testing audits for shops that supply prime defense contractors with outside production parts. I'm looking at this opportunity real hard. My current salary is 55K/Year and this new job would only pay 48K/Year BUT (big but) I would only work, on the average, three days a week. Sometimes I'd work five days a week, other times not at all, or one or two days. That would give me lots of time for family and side ventures and sounds like a job I could retire into.I would be auditing companies in the midwest, which is basically everywhere from the Great Lakes to Arizona as far as territory. I have the option of driving my car and taking my wife and family with me for short vacations when I do this.But I'm thinking of other ways to make money while on the road, or just add to my gun and coin collection, and am looking for ideas. I'm wondering about checking small town pawn shops, coin shops, gun shops and such for bargains as I travel. Shops that are off the beaten path, perhaps some farm auctions and such. I guess I'm wondering if there's enough out there to make it worth while. Or do any of you have experiences with traveling to find bargains? Or anything else you might want to toss in to help me think this through.

Comments

• Options
    OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    Boeboe, I just looked at your profile and found that you are from Wichita, Kansas, I am from this area also. This job sounds like a great opportunity, but remember there will probably be lots of times you will be away from your family as well. Are the Fringe benefits good? and after a while the traveling becomes less glamorous. Just my 2 Pennys worth. This is a big decision in your life and you are the only one that is qualified to make it. I have a buddy that is a region Manager for the Western United States, He likes old 49-50-51 Mercs and you would not believe all of the treasures he finds along the way. Auto