In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Packing a Gun For Shipment

grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
Last week I was in my LGS when UPS delivered a rifle a customer bought on a GB auction. As the driver was leaving, I noticed the end of the barrel was sticking out of the box. The shop owner caught the driver before he left, and we opened the box to document any damage. Pictures were taken, and the only damage seemed to be a small scratch on the crown of the gun. The packaging was woefully lacking in what I consider to be sufficient. Simple bubble wrap is NOT likely to protect against the way packages are handled. Several layers of something pretty dense, especially on the ends of the box would have worked in this case.
I have never had any complaints about my packaging, even if it costs me a good bit more for shipping.

Comments

• Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    While this topic has been discussed often, it still boggles my mind how some do ship them.
    A $20 hard case inside the cardboard seems like a very easy way to have peace of mind.
  • 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grdad45
    Last week I was in my LGS when UPS delivered a rifle a customer bought on a GB auction. As the driver was leaving, I noticed the end of the barrel was sticking out of the box. The shop owner caught the driver before he left, and we opened the box to document any damage. Pictures were taken, and the only damage seemed to be a small scratch on the crown of the gun. The packaging was woefully lacking in what I consider to be sufficient. Simple bubble wrap is NOT likely to protect against the way packages are handled. Several layers of something pretty dense, especially on the ends of the box would have worked in this case.
    I have never had any complaints about my packaging, even if it costs me a good bit more for shipping.
    +1 especially on the ends of box. Can't remember how many beautiful 37 Winchester stocks were destroyed in transit. Butt plate and stock have a sharp curve that shears right through plate and stock at toe when dropped. Have even told sellers how to pack and some still don't listen.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    While this topic has been discussed often, it still boggles my mind how some do ship them.
    A $20 hard case inside the cardboard seems like a very easy way to have peace of mind.
    +++++,,
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    +++++,,

Agreed, that was how the cmp shipped my rifle...result was a June42 M1 rifle delivered that still turns heads at the range!
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know not everybody can do this but a sheet of lauan board is cheap and light. A couple pieces on each end and the length of each side would be good reenforcement and not add that much weight. They wouldn't have to be on the inside either. Just tape them on good.
  • 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe it or not had a 37 Win about five years ago came to me in a hard case with no padding on either end of box. Latches were broken and gun was damaged. Oh yes and the darn thing was taped shut with tape also. Go figure.

Nicest packing job I ever seen. Fella put a full length piece of doubled cardboard in box diagonal and wrapped gun in bubble wrap. Wrapped gun in foam under bubble wrap. Tied wrapped gun to diagonal cardboard with three or four cable ties. In empty space on each side of gun he poured foam peanuts. Never seen anything like it. I think you could drive a truck over it.
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 4205raymond
    Nicest packing job I ever seen. Fella put a full length piece of doubled cardboard in box diagonal and wrapped gun in bubble wrap. Wrapped gun in foam under bubble wrap. Tied wrapped gun to diagonal cardboard with three or four cable ties. In empty space on each side of gun he poured foam peanuts. Never seen anything like it. I think you could drive a truck over it.

Sounds like one of my packing jobs. A buyer deserves to receive what he bought in good as possible condition.
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I double box everything.We had some guns shipped with hard cases that got broken by the Postal service. One had tire tracks across it.People do not want to pay a ton for shipping so sellers try to keep the weight of the box down. I am on the East coast so anything we ship to Texas or west of Texas is an easy $50-60 bucks.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    who excepts firearms for delivery? USPS UPS???
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I've sent long guns to Licensees with the Post office, never sent anything gun related through UPS.