In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best Premium Dried Dog Food??

84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
edited March 2017 in General Discussion
I fed my last dog Sportsmans Pride. 28% protein low grain, high bone meal, beef/chicken by-products.

Currently feeding Beneful.

(Shelter was feeding Science diet.)

Was looking at the Iam's offering.

I've heard Blue is good. (Not avail. locally.)

What do you use, recommend??

Comments

• Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we feed our dog Purina Pro Plan.
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blue buffalo
    Rachel Ray nutrish
    Purina pro
    Beneful

Akira likes a little variety in is diet so based on coupons and store sales we rotate through several of the nicer - healthier name brand listed here...

Plus I buy some Purina pro canned (duck - turkey - venison - lamb) and add a tablespoon of warmed up contents to the normal dry food...

Break off some small pieces of jerkey...

Crack open a brown egg...

Mix in some stale bread...

Seems to keep him interested and healthy and provides variety.

Mike
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blue has had too much bad press for me to trust them.

I feed mine Fromm. I order online from Chewy @ roughly $50 for a 33lb bag w/ shipping. Plenty of people will scoff at the cost but one of the benefits of feeding premium food is that the dog eats (and craps) less. My German Shepherd goes through about 1 bag a month.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did a lot of research, and I found the brand "taste of the wild" was the best. I also found that you can order it from chewies.com for the same price as you can get it over town with delivery Included. They also sell a lot of other high-quality dog food if you find you don't like "taste of the wild" here is their internet address
    https://www.chewy.com/b/food-treats-332?gclid=CNjZ-LT3rtICFUtNfgodHaoDRw&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    another for taste of the wild here, its a happy medium of price and high quality

i have a couple of friends who live s and breath dogs, both are professional trainers and breeder, you cannot have a sit down without talking dogs, anyway i have learned that if you can buy it at a grocery store do not feed it to your dogs

i learned the hard way through my dog with yeast infections on his skin, and all around bad health

edit for mike

http://canigivemydog.com/bread
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    84Bravo1 you have mail.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taste of the Wild is very good. Our oldest pug had trouble with it when she turned 14, so we switched to "Canidae".

Canidae is nice because they use 100% American sourced products. Many dog foods say "Made in the USA" but their ingredients come from China, etc. What is the point then???????

MANY of these major "premium" brands have been bought out by Purina, etc. I don't trust them as far as I can kick them.

For those of you feeding crap like "Old Roy" you should be ashamed. It is a step above garbage, and causes many health problems. Do you hate your dog? My vet said the #1 problem he sees with animal health is people feeding their dogs low quality food!

Merc
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bred, raised, and showed Bullmastiff's for 25 years and had no problem with digestion, coat, or overall health with ProPlan. o
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The main thing is to make sure whatever you feed your Buddy, make sure it doesn't have wheat or corn meal in it. That's just straight junk food for dogs. Sorta of like us eating a straight diet potato chips
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    I bred, raised, and showed Bullmastiff's for 25 years and had no problem with digestion, coat, or overall health with ProPlan. o

How did the dogs fare?
    [;)]
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I say bread...

We do Italian bread and kaiser rolls quite frequently...

As well as homemade biscuits...

I will take a small portion of stale left over bread and crumble it in my hand - mixing it under or into the dogs normal food...

We are very careful to not over feed the dog and to keep at least 90% of his intake actual dog food...

A tablespoon worth of dog safe people food salted or sprinkled into his meals to provide variety and as a pack food sharing activity...

He especially likes to have a brown egg on his food once a week...

Our dog is still underweight according to the vet...

But we also don't want him get fat or addicted to people food...

I treat him like a working dog - he gets quite a physical work out...

All of the animals get special treats - we have color coded laminated lists for each animal on what is not safe for them and what their approved treats are...

My research and my vets input lead me to believe that the bread we give the dog - the amounts and types by period - frequency - and volume are safe and beneficial.

Jmho

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One more thing about "taste of the wild", it comes in different flavors. So you can change up your buddies flavor of dog food without fear of him having diarrhea like when you change from one brand to another.

Speaking of which, whatever Dog food you do decide on, slowly incorporate it into their diet by mixing a little more each time into your present dog food so they don't get diarrhea. Diarrhea can kill a dog
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting we have had a couple of Mutts that lived well into double digits and fed em whatever cheap stuff the wife got at the store.
    Never seemed to matter much never had one that wasn't healthy, they all run play bark etc.

Hell the kids fed em everything from PB&J to salad. I remember telling my daughter that dogs don't eat salad but it did.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dogs fared well. Grew to an appropriate size, had no serious medical problems, had a long and healthy life, two were pointed but dog showing is so political I thought that I should just enjoy them rather than continue with showing.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have been raising dogs for many years and had good success with many brands of chow. Lately we have been using some of the costco blue. The wife spices it up with egg yokes and cheese to spark interest.

The dogs love it and are very healthy.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reload999
    we feed our dog Purina Pro Plan.

Same here.

We have fed our older Lab(almost 8) it since the day we got her. Her coat is still unbelievably soft and beautiful looking. I think the food definitely has something to do with that. Not to mention, both our dogs seem to love it.

Jon
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury

MANY of these major "premium" brands have been bought out by Purina, etc. I don't trust them as far as I can kick them.

PSA for those who feed Purina brand products.
    I'm not privy to the details, but, Hershey holds manufacturing/marketing rights to the Purina brands. This includes the Pro Plan line of products. Check the back of the bag for manufacturer to insure you are getting an actual Purina product.
  • Options
    randomnutrandomnut Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 3 extremely athletic hunting dogs. I used NutriSource for a while, but the dogs didn't seem to care for the flavor, but did well on it.

I switched about 2 years ago to Pro Plan Sport 30/20. I feed their daily ration with a fried egg. They've done great on it and I don't plan on changing.
  • Options
    elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    iam's puppy food (he's 4 weeks) will move to blue buffalo when he is older.
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Bottom GunBottom Gun Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to feed IAMS to my Rotties until I checked the ingredients one day and found the formula had been changed to include corn and other such junk.
    After doing some research, including a discussion with my vet who gave Kirkland brand a thumbs up, I switched to Kirkland for my dogs and cats. We buy it at Costco.
    Mechanical engineers have their moments.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you read the label and the first 5 ingredients are more science then food skip it. Also if you can get it at Safeway or other grocers, it's crap.

Wheat and corn causes more issues in dogs than meat by products. I've been told "meat by product" sometimes means other dogs. Soilent Green from SPCA.

When I got the space I'll get a dog. I think I'll go 70% or better on BARF or raw/frozen. 30% of the real good stuff.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    We make our own dog food from Chicken table veggie scraps,rice chicken broth over a ting bit of Pedigree dry kibble
  • Options
    justpassinbyjustpassinby Member Posts: 107 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure it is not made in China. My little yorke an I went to town today and I had her in the shopping cart at the pet food section. A lady came up to see her and she said 2 of her dogs had died from dog food made in China that she had been feeding them. Same goes for doggie treats. Sophie has never had any thing to eat that was made in China.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    Blue Buff
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    Thank you all, for the input.

-Ken-
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I vary my dog's dry food brand diet without unnecessary fillers but supplement it with a lot of raw meat (and fish) and bones/marrow including wild game.

1103141550a_zps3946e78f.jpg
    65396_3781686622659_564685614_n_zps77c8ce4d.jpg
    PB182000_zps8d83ebea.jpg
    PA161919_zps793b5a7a.jpg
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,435 ******
    edited November -1
    I used to get away with feeding my dog natural bones and raw meat up until I added additional dogs into the mix.

This brought about some pretty nasty dog fights and a bite or two that turned me away from this practice!

For the last couple of years after a new pup is of adult age we have been feeding our dogs Purina One smart blend Lamb & Rice formula dry.

I realize that we are pretty much at the mercy of these big manufacturer's for their ingredients and consistency of such but have trusted Purina over a lot of others that have constant RECALLS on their products.

We did lose one of our Golden's to cancer last year which has put me into more study on our dog's nutrition needs.

This thread has been quite helpful to me and is giving me some sound advise in these very important choices we make![^]
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Had a Chow/Badger cross (always dug a deep hole, then protected it fiercely) that I fed whatever was on sale; Pedigree, Ol' Roy, Kal Kan, Wagon Train, etc. for the first 6 years. I switched because she was looking kinda ratty, and acting very listless.
    Started her on Science Diet canned food, and within a week, she was a boisterous, glossy-maned puppy again.
    She stuck around for 17 years, and I give Science Diet most of the credit for that.