In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Did you guys see this knife? Its pretty cool....

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,693 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in General Discussion
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=438089672

This was sitting on the desk of a store owner when I went by there to pick up some guns. I couldn't put it down. I was about to ask him how much he wanted for it when he told me to take it and put it on line. Once he told me to list it I just switched gears and didn't even bother to ask what he thought he had to have for it.

BUT....I still REALLY like it and whoever gets it is sure to be happy. Its really pretty. I wish I had said something before he handed it over to me to sell.
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a bid on it. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shilowar....if you win just keep in mind my birthday isn't until June, but this would be a pretty nice surprise! [:D]
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nice looking knife, and I'd bid on it === but $25.00 shipping?
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TANK78Z
    nice looking knife, and I'd bid on it === but $25.00 shipping?

No way would I pay $25 shipping for a knife!
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    So yeah, it's a nice looking little knife.

But S&W didn't make it. No American even made it. Maybe S&W sent some artwork off to Japan, but that's about it. Love Smith & Wesson, but this is just a knife they paid to have their brand slapped onto. Doesn't count to me.

Plus have to agree the shipping seems steep for small items. Such as this Redfield scope, $20 for Priority Mail?
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=436991615
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    Shilowar....if you win just keep in mind my birthday isn't until June, but this would be a pretty nice surprise! [:D]

Well I've been outbid!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisInTempe

But S&W didn't make it. No American even made it. Maybe S&W sent some artwork off to Japan, but that's about it. Love Smith & Wesson, but this is just a knife they paid to have their brand slapped onto. Doesn't count to me.

Plus have to agree the shipping seems steep for small items. Such as this Redfield scope, $20 for Priority Mail?

We list nearly 100 items....most things are just posted with whatever shipping is tagged on there for all of the other items. Scopes are a pain, because they really don't fit in a standard box most of the time. I hate cutting down my rifle boxes for scopes, but it happens a lot of the time.
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    $25 shipping... Probably forgot to change it from a previous auction...
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisInTempe

We list nearly 100 items....most things are just posted with whatever shipping is tagged on there for all of the other items. Scopes are a pain, because they really don't fit in a standard box most of the time. I hate cutting down my rifle boxes for scopes, but it happens a lot of the time.

Weak, LF.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone that seriously looks at what I do and thinks "weak" is TRULY clueless about what it takes to accomplish what we do.

Seriously....

You would have to come up with something more substantial than "you pocketed an unearned $10 on shipping young lady" to make me feel bad.

Nobody complained about the times we forgot to change something and shipping was undercharged for several handguns that ran, but let a TINY mixup go in our favor and the whiners find a way to howl. I find it funny.

Its just the way things are though.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone that seriously looks at what I do and thinks "weak" is TRULY clueless about what it takes to accomplish what we do.

Seriously....

You would have to come up with something more substantial than "you pocketed an unearned $10 on shipping young lady" to make me feel bad.

Nobody complained about the times we forgot to change something and shipping was undercharged for several handguns that ran, but let a TINY mixup go in our favor and the whiners find a way to howl. I find it funny.

Its just the way things are though.

I have a great appreciation for business owners and how hard they ordinarily work, for I know that they often work very hard, and in many cases seven days a week. I applaud you for that Kasey, but twenty-five dollars to ship a small knife to a customer appears to be more than double the cost for such an item. Whatever the case or the cost might be it's not logical in the least. Seriously, you sound as if you are passing on your management problems to your customers, rather than being more responsible to that end. Again, I applaud your ability to run a business, and what it takes to make the same successful. Good luck with your business.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its one of those things nobody thought about when it was loaded up because 60 other auctions were done at the same time......and its not anything that can be changed now that the auction is going. Its not even enough money to really worry over on either end. Most of the time the people that win these small auctions are winning several items so it doesn't even matter to begin with because shipping prices are tossed out the window when multiple items are purchased.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks good. Japanese can actually make very high quality cutlery. I'm not much of a knife collector, but it does look Purdy:)
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kasey, I collect knifes, but just small pocket knifes.This is not my cup of tea but still a way cool collector knife for a beginner.

As far as shipping goes, I understand where your coming from, because I ship stuff every day just about. I use to use the flat rate boxes from the post office, but the packages would arrive and looked like they were put through the samsonite gorilla test at the airport.[:0] I had shipped a hundred and fifty dollar turkey call to a customer that was reduced to a box of tooth picks. Now I use the local ups/fedex terminal and some stuff, even though small, is expensive. A six by twelve by three inch box for my calls is 18 dollars. I just found another place near my home that will ship them for ten bucks.

I live close to a lot of shipping places but you seem to be way out in the sticks and don't have all the options I have. Besides all that stuff, I know you take care of the forum members so kudo's to you. I too was turned off by the shipping quote of 25 bucks but I understand also what it takes to ship something CORRECTLY!!!!!Oakie
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would be a safe queen. My knives get used. A lot.

What's next Kasey?[:)]
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

Looks nice but made in japan kills it for me.

[:(]

Actually, Seki City-made knives are of higher quality and better materials than most "commercial" American-made mass-produced knives.
    That could be why makers such as A.G. Russell contract most of their custom high-dollar knives to Seki City makers.
    I've got a G2 Spyderco Endura made in Seki City that's way better looking than their American versions.