In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

No More Guns & Ammo Magazine For Me

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
Some yahoo that writes for "Guns & Ammo" magazine took a pristine Swedish Mauser sniper rifle, sporterized it, and wrote an article about it for the magazine, complete with pictures.

The gunsmith doing the work did a nice job, but he destroyed a valuable historical military relic. He kept the BOLT as it was because it was numbered to the gun, necessitating the installation of very tall scope rings.

He even re-barreled the rifle, so the only original parts kept were the action, bolt assembly, and magazine assembly.

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! If you were going to do that much work to make a "sporter," you could have started with a rifle that Bubba had already gotten hold of.

I had gone without a subscription to a slick-paper gun rag for a long time, but G&A offered a heck of a deal, so I subscribed. I found it to still be a typical slick-paper advertisement for Ruger and Remington.

My subscription is expiring, and I am not going to renew.

Comments

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He didn't destroy it, as long as he kept the original parts, he can always change it back.

You've become pretty Grumpy since you're retired.[:D]
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you cancel you subscription, they will probably give you all your money back.
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you should get the remaining money back....
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    if it was drilled and tapped for a scope on the reciever, its trashed and can,t be put back to original. mr myopic.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    Drilled, tapped, polished, blued, safety changed out. No, it is Bubba-ized. High dollar Bubba-ized, but Bubba-ized nonetheless.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,256 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Changed the barrel? Most Swedes already shoot MOA. Weird.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have that article too, and that rifle is so far from "Bubba-ized", butchered, ruined, or whatever term you want to use, it's not even funny. What it is, is beautiful.

But what do I know? I only have an old WW2 Mauser sniper rifle sitting in a rack two feet to my left, that would probably be worth thousands of dollars right now, and more than a Swede sniper, were the original scope, mount, etc. not junked years ago, and replaced with Weaver rings, bases, a steel-tube K3, and rechambered to 8mm-06. Looks great to me, even with plug screws filling the original holes in the left side of the receiver.

To each his own, I guess, but even now with fewer rifles like that Swede available, I can still appreciate what it is now just as much as what it used to be.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definition of Bubba:
    Take a $2500 Swede M41B sniper rifle, and make it into a $250 rifle, by investing $500 in parts and labor. The gene pool needs more chlorine.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sporter fad died out post war when surps were cheap. I can remember the gun mags from the 50s and 60s full of how to and custom sporters from Gew 98, K98, FNs, US 1903s and 1917s, Radoms, Krags etc.

It seems Win 70s and Rem 721/2s were high priced back then and behind the impetus to build your own.

Either way, the reverse is true today. I know many a dealer who will not touch any sporters or they will lowball the wanabee seller to the point they walk away pissed.

I too do not care to see pieces of history removed of their original condition. So many were sporterized and bubba'd, those in original condition are worth much more.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    You'd have to look pretty hard to find anything but Smiff or Grok ads in the slicks nowadays, last subscription I had was to SOF, and they just quit printing in the middle of my 3-year renewal.
    Their website is OK, but there's something about having that archived info at hand...