In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can't get in to the cemetery.

remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
Memorial day is alive and well in my hometown of Orem, Utah. Every year I go on memorial day to visit my families graves. and I can never get in to the cemetery because they have a line of cars lined up for 16 blocks in three directions leading to the cemetery, it sits at the base of the mountain, so there is no forth way into it. So I go on the on Tuesday instead.

This year I decided to go a day early, to beat the crowd so to speak. Yeah right! Here it is 8:30 at night on Sunday, the day before Memorial Day, and they still had a line of cars for 16 blocks in all directions leading up to the cemetery.

I guess I'll go on Tuesday again

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And here all this time I have been struggling to stay out of one...

[:)][;)][B)]

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    And here all this time I have been struggling to stay out of one...

[:)][;)][B)]

Mike

Me too, yet people are dying to get in there [:D]
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Park as close as you can and ride a bike the rest of the way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dakotashooter2
    Park as close as you can and ride a bike the rest of the way.

It would be a good idea, except I gave my bicycle to my daughter about a year ago. She wanted to buy a bike so she could get some exercise, and I thought save her some money, because I was not using mine anyway
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do have an obligation Monday morning early...

Local to me is the grave of an uncle who served in an armor unit in Vietnam (don't imagine the army had many armored units in this conflict)...

I will pay my respects and clean off - clean up the site and the marker...

I have some nice stones that have been polished up in a case tumbler...

I have a small one piece green plastic tank...

Will leave both behind - the stone on the marker - the tank at its base...

There are other non veteran family members in the same cemetery - after paying homage to and visiting with the veteran uncle I will place stones on their markers.

My uncle served 2 tours - three days after he returned home he was killed by a drunk driver.

It's something that has been done by the men in my family for along time - I have been doing my part since I got my drivers license.

I think the polished stone gesture was co-opt ed from Jewish tradition.

My father is paying his respects to 2 relatives and on friend (veterans)

Maybe I can meet him for lunch - maybe Stewarts drive in.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    I do have an obligation Monday morning early...

Local to me is the grave of an uncle who served in an armor unit in Vietnam (don't imagine the army had many armored units in this conflict)...

I will pay my respects and clean off - clean up the site and the marker...

I have some nice stones that have been polished up in a case tumbler...

I have a small one piece green plastic tank...

Will leave both behind - the stone on the marker - the tank at its base...

There are other non veteran family members in the same cemetery - after paying homage to and visiting with the veteran uncle I will place stones on their markers.

My uncle served 2 tours - three days after he returned home he was killed by a drunk driver.

It's something that has been done by the men in my family for along time - I have been doing my part since I got my drivers license.

I think the polished stone gesture was co-opt ed from Jewish tradition.

My father is paying his respects to 2 relatives and on friend (veterans)

Maybe I can meet him for lunch - maybe Stewarts drive in.

Mike

I not only like but also respect your sense of obligation.

The only person that I know at the cemetery that's a Veteran would be my dad, who served in the Navy in World War II.

If he knew I waited in line for 16 blocks to come up and visit him, when I can come tomorrow and drive straight up to the row that he is buried on, he would roll over in his grave and tell me how stupid I was. He would tell me how Dare I waste valuable time waiting in line for hours when I could be doing something productive, when I could just come visit him tomorrow without the huge waste of time.

He was a very practical, and viewed time as money. And that you needed to be doing something productive all the time. You see he was raised on a farm in Nebraska. And his father was German
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would rather visit most other days than brave the mob....don't go much...figure i will get in enuff time later...i think of many who have passed most all year anyway...really miss some...a few i don't...
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I predict that as soon as all those little flags are snagged by bums and illegals, there will be a huge (by their standard) rally, condemning wars, demanding stuff, and raising hell.

I put up & take down my own flag on my Father & Uncle's graves.