In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Your invaluable opinions, please!

gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Gotta dilemma.

3 weeks ago, I was interviewed by a company representative for a job opening in June that would almost TRIPLE my current rate of pay. It would be doing the same thing I do now, and I love my job.

Interview started at 10:30, lasted until Noon, he asked where the good barbecue joints were, I suggested Quarters on Wyoming, he invited me to lunch on the company tab, I accepted, we went for lunch.

Quarters has over 350 varieties of beer.
Watney's Red was on tap.
He really likes Watney's Red, but can't get it very often in Anchorage; which is the Home Office for this guy.

About 3:30, he tries for the third time to reach the john before falling into/over someone/thing, I suggest we either eat and wait to drive anywhere, or call a cab and go our separate ways.

Almost 5:00 now, he's had another 8-10 beers and is flat ___faced.
I demand a cab for him, go up to the front to take care of the movement of a very drunk interviewer through to the cab, and find that he's already in the parking lot, backing out onto a very busy street at about 60mph.
I jump in my truck and try to follow.
He blows the first red light, but has slowed to almost 45mph, and still has no lights on.

He gets pulled over 500yds from his hotel. He steps out and falls down. I make a u-turn and go wait for the phone call for bail.

I haven't heard from this guy or the company for 3 weeks. I e-mailed the HR department for information on my status; got no reply.

Should I continue to attempt contact or wait a little longer, so it doesn't seem like I'm bugging them.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.<br>WEAR EAR PROTECTION!

Comments

• SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    When did you email? If was over 2 days follow up with a phone call.

You prob ain't getting the job :)
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    why would you want to work for an outfit that hires yo-yo's to represent them ?

the pay may be great but how long do you think they will be in business ?

if you like what your doin now and are gettin buy on the wage your earning then do you want the extra level of potential grief?

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    A guy offers you a job at 3 times your rate of pay, then takes you to lunch, gets drunk and arrested before he gets back to his hotel does not have a lot of credibility. You need to make a direct contact with someone in this company's HR. Who knows, this guy could be blaming the entire incident on you. Protect yourself, alcoholics are notorious liars.
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't sound like he would even remember giving you an interview. I would contact the CO. if you are really wanting to go to work for them.

"Life is not a journey to the grave wtih the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,

But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

-WOW- WHAT A RIDE!!!!!"
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    It is possable that they are concerned that you or the city may be looking at a leagal remedy to the night in question. If this is the case they may distance them selves from you. Then again it could be that the right hand of the company does not know what the left hand is doing. The person who offered you the position knows that you know what happened her in Albuquerque and may not want the others in the company to know. It is all speculation. Who ever was the first person you were in contact with for this position go back to that person. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The interviewer doesn't want what you know to get back to his boss. I would contact the INTERVIEWER. Let him know that you can be trusted with keeping quiet and you would REALLY like the job.

That's if you really want the job.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    P3's advice is good. Then, if the interviewer doesn't speak with you withing 24 hours, call the VP of Human Resources. Ask when you can expect an offer letter, and don't rat out the interviewer.

Rat out the interviewer only if it looks like they are jerking you around, and do it by letter (Priority snail mail) to the CEO, describing all the events in detail.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,449 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also like P3's advice. I would have gone to Powdrell's though...

He Dog
  • Patriots49Patriots49 Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you checked the local taverns?[:D]

"You cannot conquer America." -William Pitt, 1777
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Gunnut,

I'd stay as far away from further developing that situation as humanly possible. You be very thankful months/years down the road when you read of the disasterous "train-wreck" that company may be headed towards.

Sometimes the recruiters do NOT represent the hiring companys values, integrity and ethics, but tother times, they most certainly do [B)][B)]... JMHO.

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bug them, or you will never know.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Thanks all!

I felt that if I continued to bug them before May; I might jeopardize any chance for getting the job.
    Now I think I'll get back to them Monday on the phone & see whassup.

Here's hoping it was just the altitude....

HeDog; Powdrell's on Central doesn't have beer, was that your point?
    Aside from that, I & my associates gave Willy 6 months of our time & energy to promote his BBQ sauce; got a contract w/Price Club for 2 pallets of sauce. He blew all the seed money and couldn't fulfill the contract. Another problem he had was that his Dad was trying to market Mr. Powdrell's sauce, & wouldn't do the family thing; which made sure that Willy had to get outta the biz.
    Still think they had better food when they were on San Pedro/Kathryn.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.<br>WEAR EAR PROTECTION!