In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Garands in Haiti

tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Any of you notice all the Garands when they show pictures of the uprising in Haiti? I can't tell if the rebels or the Govt. troops have them. I wonder how much one would cost down there and in what condition they would be in? Tom

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who dont.

Comments

• Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I'd guess the condition of most of them is probably not very good.
    1. The 'saltwater' air.
    2. Cleaning materials are probably not widely available.
    3. The ammo used in them is probably at the least somewhat corrosive.

Cost? That doesn't really matter as the cost of getting one back here would make the final cost too high.

Just my opinion, of course.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those M1 rifles remaining are pretty well thrashed from what I have been told. The Hatian government received 799 M1s (I guess one went to Papa Doc making it 799 instead of an even 800) from the U.S. MAP program and also purchased many more on the open market. When U.S. troops landed on the island during the "Clinton Invasion" U.S. forces rounded up all sorts of weapons from the rebels and while most were destroyed, all avialable M1's were shipped back the the Department of Defense and then passed on to the CMP where they were mixed in with all of the rest of the M1s it received from the DoD. If you purchased a Garand from the CMP lately you just might have one that came from Hati!

Mark T. Christian
  • Ruger22Ruger22 Member Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    I like your line of thinking. I often think about these types of things myself.

jbs.giflogo22.jpgrfcmember.gif
    KP4CBrian.gif597Brian.jpg
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can make any comparisons between the Garands and the looks of everything else down there, the only way I'd fire one of those 50 year old weapons is from behind a wall with a long piece of string.

Mudge the cautious

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd love to be an arms importer -- if I could do stuff like this without all the Second Amendment infringement hassles. Krinkovs from Russia, cheap AKs from Afghanistan, a few M1s from Haiti would be nice. I can dream... [8D]

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark, say you drove your boat down there and picked up a dozen or so: Is it legal to have rifles on the boat?? Do all American boats have to clear customs when entering port, like Biloxi?? I wouldn't think it to be smuggling or would it?? Tom

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who dont.
    edited November -1
    If you leave U.S. territorial waters you and your vessel will have to clear U.S. Customs and immigration at some point before your return. As a U.S. flagged vessel you can also be boarded on the high seas by the U.S. Coast Gaurd, many of who's personel (as a civilian agency in peace time), have police powers including the power to arrest and search. Your rights on the high seas are very limited and even fewer when you go to clear Customs at a U.S. port of entry-- go to an airport these days and see if you are made to take off your shoes! I know we have some nautical types around here who can spell all this sort of thing out to you in great detail.

Firearms leaving the United States must be declared with Customs if the same firearms are going to be returning to the U.S.. No firearms can be imported into the United States legally without an approved ATF Form 6 and Curio and Relic military firearms like the M1 Garand can only be brought in by licensed importers so if you have neither an approved form 6 or a Customs declaration listing those rifles when you left port you are going to be in very deep trouble if they are spotted on board. There are a number of other complications with Garands (or any other firearms) if they were supplied as military aid to a foreign country at tax payer expense. These sorts of transactions are very complicated and the sources and status of any such firearms must be researched in great detail and fully documented before such firearms may be imported.

Mark T. Christian
  • boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    Garands! Check out the M-14's!

r640567979.jpg

r1485818796.jpg

r1185469278.jpg

r3195589847.jpg

r3121440052.jpg

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Looks like a Saturday afternoon in Compton[;)]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Ruger22Ruger22 Member Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    Rebel James:
    I have never laughed so hard.
    [:)],

jbs.giflogo22.jpgrfcmember.gif
    KP4CBrian.gif597Brian.jpg
    edited November -1
    The tax payers of the United States were also kind enough to provide Hati with 1,250 M14 service rifles in 1976.

Mark T. Christian
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    How far ya gotta go to be out of territorial waters? I used to go 75 to 100 miles out in the gulf, and never stopped by customs when returning...[:D][}:)][}:)]

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Classic,

I think the internationally recognized limit for territorial waters is 15 miles. Beyond that it's open territory.

Of course, there's the law and then there's practice.

China claims a large swath of territory in the South China Sea that goes way beyond 15 miles from their nearest shoreline.

Libya tried to enforce its claim on the bay off its northern coast (one of the reasons we bombed them... not the main reason, but a reason nonetheless).

There are competing claims betweeen Indonesia and the Phillipines where that 15-mile zone overlaps.

And of course 15-miles is only for legal matters. Economic zones are either 12 miles or 20 (that's a big difference, I know, but I can't remember right off the bat) from your shoreline.

AND... some people just don't pay attention... North Korea, for example, does as it pleases.

But the 75 miles you did should qualify as being out in international waters.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    As far as the condition of those guns; consider that in the not-too-distant past, those folks were using sharpened seashells and tires filled with gasoline to sort out their differences. I think to fairly call what those weapons must have received in the name of maintenance, "casually applied" would be an injustice to all that pretty oxidation.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.<br>WEAR EAR PROTECTION!