In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Whats Fracking Going on in

Comments

• Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    BUT BUT BUT... Andy knows what's best for us![xx(]
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fracking might happen in NC, if the libturds don't get their way.[8D]
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There trying to frack up in northern Wisconsin.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Middle East is in near-total turmoil, Russia is flexing its muscles, yet crude oil is holding at $ 100.00 - $ 105.00 per barrel.

The only logical reason for this is the increase in North American production due to the increased use of hydraulic fracking.

If you prefer $5.00+ per gallon gasoline and diesel, by all means; protest and stop fracking whenever and wherever you can.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    If it makes money! FRACK it[;)] The little guy has his hands tied, still swinging but looks bad for frackless areas.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    The Middle East is in near-total turmoil, Russia is flexing its muscles, yet crude oil is holding at $ 100.00 - $ 105.00 per barrel.

The only logical reason for this is the increase in North American production due to the increased use of hydraulic fracking.

If you prefer $5.00+ per gallon gasoline and diesel, by all means; protest and stop fracking whenever and wherever you can.

I have absolutely no problems with anyone wanting to do some fracking in DC.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hear in Northern Illinois it is the opposite end. Sand pits all over the county.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    They say it caused the earth quakes here in OH [?]
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    Hear in Northern Illinois it is the opposite end. Sand pits all over the county.

Where are you near?
    I'm in McHenry County
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    2,500.00 per Acre In Parts of NY For 5 Years Plus Royalties.
    Most Of the Country Folk Want It here
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,963 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:After a few 4.5 + earthquakes during the last year when I had never felt one in my entire life, I am beginning to rethink the issue.

A little clarity in your life is a good thing. Fracking isn't.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While it is great in the short term...I fear we'll all be hating ourselves for what happens in 10-15 years when the ground water is poisoned with the Federally protected secret blends of chemicals used to do it.

There's a reason they wanted that in the legislation, and it isn't because the next company might add three more drops per gallon of chemical "X" instead of chemical "Y".

Sorry, I just don't trust industry spokesmen with Joe Isuzu smiles wearing 1500 dollar suits telling me everything's gonna be all right. [:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    I believe that is what they are doing in western North Dakota.

It has been used for over 150 years, starting in Pennsylvania. Its use expanded dramatically in the oil fields of Texas and Oklahoma in the 1950s through today.

There is a danger to groundwater, and obviously it should not be used in an area where groundwater contamination is a potential. There is a legitimate question as to whether it can release stresses and trigger small earthquakes, though it is important to note that an earthquake is the release of tectonic tensions, and all fracking would likely do is provide a premature release. Heck, it is possible that these early releases may mitigate to some extent the potential for a truly damaging quake down the road.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Ranchers out west have spoken against oil pipelines and fracking. Not a typically liberal leaning bunch.

Seems there's lots of evidence fracking is causing some problems. I would not stop doing it, because we need the oil. I wouldn't pretend the problems do not exist either.

So, accept there are problems, work out how to deal with them and still get the oil.
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not all out west have spoken against fracking. Out here it's happening at 10,000 feet. Not a lot of water pumped from that depth.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Hydraulic fracturing has been done in every oil/gas field since the 20's, and done properly, causes no water contamination.
    The main reason behind that statement is that the water table is less than 1,000 feet underground, no matter where you are.
    Drillers seal off their surface string with a collar of cement, then re-enter the hole with a smaller diameter pipe, which in turn gets sealed off, then another pipe, and so on.
    The way it works is that if the pipe going into the formation leaks; they get no petrochemicals from the well.

Sure, there are idiots who watched that "documentary", Frac Nation, and totally believe the moron with the flames in his kitchen tap.
    Of course, the filmmakers didn't mention that when that guy's well was drilled (for WATER), that he hit several pockets of gas, yet didn't think he ought to case the wellbore because it was too expensive.

Back in the 30's, my Gramps was a wildcatter in Oklahoma, Illinois, Indiana and Colorado. He was a Petroleum Geologist, and taught for 25 years at Ardmore's state college.
    He was instrumental in discovering and drilling the Tussy Sands (Dees Formation), near Velma, Ok, and drilled over 300 wellbores throughout his career.
    Fracturing tight formations was done back then by forcing diesel, acids, sand and small, hard rubber balls into the formation, and then swabbing the well to suck out all the frac fluids.
    Things are different now, and several chemicals have replaced the old formula.

As far as Hydraulic Fracturing causing earthquakes, or sinkholes, or bad weather; I sincerely doubt it, or we'd have seen Indiana, Pennsylvania, and several other states with large fields drop out of sight.
    Unless you are an expert on plate tectonics, geophysical/seismic events, or physics; your opinion is as useful as the "consensus"-bots that declare "climate change" is manmade.
    Just like the observant fellow back in the 1300s that declared that flies erupted spontaneously from rotting meat; sometimes the "effect" is not a symptom of the "cause".
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Texas is out producing all of europe and venazuela.

Time for us to join opec
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

Oil closed at $97 a barrel today so lets watch those gas prices go down.
  • Options
    texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia

Don't need to be an expert on plate tectonics or anything else.

Just need to be able to read and have a somewhat open mind to research.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/345/6195/448.abstract

The "article" is not about fracking.... Not even close.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There is no realistic comparison between the technology in use today with that of even 30 years ago.

It has not been done in the volume, pressure, number, or extent through horizontal drilling.

One would think the pressures generated by the nitroglycerin 'torpedoes' used in the lat 19th century were significantly higher than the 15,000 psi the is used today.

It is a function of depth today. The greater the depth, the more pressure you need to overcome the gravitational pressure.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    Hydraulic fracturing has been done in every oil/gas field since the 20's, and done properly, causes no water contamination.
    The main reason behind that statement is that the water table is less than 1,000 feet underground, no matter where you are.
    Drillers seal off their surface string with a collar of cement, then re-enter the hole with a smaller diameter pipe, which in turn gets sealed off, then another pipe, and so on.
    The way it works is that if the pipe going into the formation leaks; they get no petrochemicals from the well.

Sure, there are idiots who watched that "documentary", Frac Nation, and totally believe the moron with the flames in his kitchen tap.
    Of course, the filmmakers didn't mention that when that guy's well was drilled (for WATER), that he hit several pockets of gas, yet didn't think he ought to case the wellbore because it was too expensive.

Back in the 30's, my Gramps was a wildcatter in Oklahoma, Illinois, Indiana and Colorado. He was a Petroleum Geologist, and taught for 25 years at Ardmore's state college.
    He was instrumental in discovering and drilling the Tussy Sands (Dees Formation), near Velma, Ok, and drilled over 300 wellbores throughout his career.
    Fracturing tight formations was done back then by forcing diesel, acids, sand and small, hard rubber balls into the formation, and then swabbing the well to suck out all the frac fluids.
    Things are different now, and several chemicals have replaced the old formula.

As far as Hydraulic Fracturing causing earthquakes, or sinkholes, or bad weather; I sincerely doubt it, or we'd have seen Indiana, Pennsylvania, and several other states with large fields drop out of sight.
    Unless you are an expert on plate tectonics, geophysical/seismic events, or physics; your opinion is as useful as the "consensus"-bots that declare "climate change" is manmade.
    Just like the observant fellow back in the 1300s that declared that flies erupted spontaneously from rotting meat; sometimes the "effect" is not a symptom of the "cause".

Don't talk facts and common sense to this bunch. It ruins their conspiracy theories.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is one total mess down here in southwest PA. Google up the Harry Enstrom chapter of the IWLA. There are weekly radio shows about the drilling on different stations around here and in WV. The drilling industry seems to own the politicians. There's not enough room here to tell what needs to be. Water tankers doing 60+mph down a two lane country road. Running red lights all the time. There's been so many roll those trucks and die that no one seems to care anymore. Explosions at well sites.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by notnow
    It is one total mess down here in southwest PA. Google up the Harry Enstrom chapter of the IWLA. There are weekly radio shows about the drilling on different stations around here and in WV. The drilling industry seems to own the politicians. There's not enough room here to tell what needs to be. Water tankers doing 60+mph down a two lane country road. Running red lights all the time. There's been so many roll those trucks and die that no one seems to care anymore. Explosions at well sites.

I live in SWPA, Washington county to be exact. I have wells all around me. When they first stated I seen a lot of speeding trucks, but around my area they have slowed the speed down nicely.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "Enhanced recovery" wells are not "wastewater" wells.
    Following the principle that oil floats on water is behind the use of injection of brackish water or brine into depleted formations to enhance the tertiary recovery of hydrocarbons, once the production has slowed to less-than-commercially viable levels.

The Gov't has decreed that not one drop of fluid from a well will touch the surface, even going to ridiculous lengths to enforce the concept.
    That means one cannot precipitate the solids from brine to retrieve gold, silver, palladium, or other pricey metals, nor can one then use the desalinated water for any purpose except re-injection into the ground.

The trouble I have with the premise that SWD (salt water disposal) or injection wells are causing any sort of ground disturbance is that the fluids being injected replace the substances that were withdrawn from the formations in the first place.
    Theoretically, the oil/gas mix that was pumped out is like squeezing a tube of toothpaste, then re-filling that space with brine or brackish water to force the remnants of the hydrocarbons into the pressurized pipe, and up to the tank battery.

As most any operator or mineral owner will tell you, oil/gas mix usually comes with a load of unwanted fluids (non-petroproducts), which then have to be separated by pressure, gravity, or any of hundreds of methods, stored, then used either as an admix for hydraulic fracturing blends, lubrication of the drillbit (as in drilling mud), reduction of swabbing acids, or re-injected to enhance recovery.
    Imagine how many minerals and compounds are in the brine from a well, and lament the waste of agricultural resources, possible uses as drought alleviation supplies, and potentially useful things like sulfur, propane, butane, heptane, iron, magnesium, mercury and potable water.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by texaswildman

Wastewater injection wells are not even close to fracking ?

Perhaps you don't know the principles behind fracking, then.

Caterpillar sells wastewater injection pumps that max out at 2,200 PSI.

NRG sells Frac pumps that max out at 12,400 PSI.

By extension, filling a leaking swimming pool is a lot like fracking.

Someone doesn't understand something, to be sure.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1

Wastewater injection wells are not even close to fracking ?

Perhaps you don't know the principles behind fracking, then.

Actually I do, but debating them with someone who doesn't, or isn't interested in the difference is a waste of my time. I do that enough at my job. I wouldn't think you as a person who would spread erroneous information, so you might research the difference between hydraulic fracturing and produced water injection. The only similarity is they go down a well bore. The form, solution, zone and manner they do is entirely different. Many SWD''s are on vacuum and require no pumping. In all the research I have read, applications I have seen, heard, etc in the oil industry, I know of only one instance that might be attributed to HF. That instance could have as of likely been caused through gas migration in shallow zones as HF. This isn't an opinion thing, so you might do yourself a favor and read research papers specific to HF and lawsuit dismissals where technical information is presented, not newspapers....
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    YOUR AREA
    Our Story
    http://www.cortlandstandard.net/story001.html
    Sorry... But the LINKED story is about evicting motel residents due to code violations of the motel...

Jus'how is this related to Fracking ??? [B)]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I want them on my land fracking TODAY, drill baby drill!

I want the fuel, the family legacy money, the high paying jobs and economic growth plus the energy independence created by fracking.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Barzillia
    Originally posted by texaswildman
    Originally posted by Barzillia
    [

I suppose that it is easy to dismiss other information when it is not your house shaking, or when it may affect your business.

I do understand at some level the difference between hf and disposal wells, but older studies involving relatively low volume fracking in deeper vertical wells is not a practical comparison to the rather large volumes of water used in shallower horizontal fracking currently and commonly used around here.

A lack of industry information does nothing to disprove the findings suggested by the research cited. Can one extend the general principles developed by the study ?

Only time will tell, but I would not expect confirmation of results to come from the industry.

"Unconventional oil and gas production provides a rapidly growing energy source; however, high-production states in the United States, such as Oklahoma, face sharply rising numbers of earthquakes. Subsurface pressure data required to unequivocally link earthquakes to wastewater injection are rarely accessible. Here we use seismicity and hydrogeological models to show that fluid migration from high-rate disposal wells in Oklahoma is potentially responsible for the largest swarm. Earthquake hypocenters occur within disposal formations and upper basement, between 2- and 5-kilometer depth. The modeled fluid pressure perturbation propagates throughout the same depth range and tracks earthquakes to distances of 35 kilometers, with a triggering threshold of ~0.07 megapascals. Although thousands of disposal wells operate aseismically, four of the highest-rate wells are capable of inducing 20% of 2008 to 2013 central U.S. seismicity. "

Again, you are comparing HF with injection wells - they aren't the same. Most of the research has come from or is funded by industry, which is why most folks want to ignore it. People are free to choose what they believe and how, so I will leave you to your quest or lack thereof. There are lots of technical publications out there if you so chose, but I would hope you would first realize that a HF well and an injection well are two very different things and are regulated differently. That is like saying the delivery truck driver that delivers cigarettes to the local store causes cancer....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Schrodinger's Cat, anyone?
    Watch reruns of the Big Bang Theory if that was over your pay grade.

wellboresketch.JPG

Here's an attempt at showing what depths, materials and techniques are involved in planning to re-enter an already-fractured hole.
    I had trouble making it legible, but I can't figure out how to make it big enough to read without going back to the photo site and clicking some more to re-enlargen it.