In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sharp tail grouse and Pheasant for supper tonight

cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
edited December 2003 in General Discussion
after i fed this afternoon i realized this was the last day for the upland game birds today so i got the kids and we went and got a sharp tail and a pheasant for supper could have had limit of pheasants but the ole 11-48 didnt like to cold very well and also the handle for the bolt to cycle action fell out into the snow and could not find it[:(] told the wife i am going to have to retire it and get a new shotgun someday as the only other shot gun i have is a 1912 16ga thats 2 9/16 chamber i did find a box of shells for it but they are eight shot not nearly heavy enough for pheasants this time of year....guess nows the time to get a 12ga 3 1/2" chamber[:)]
hope you all have a good new year!!
Doc

Comments

• groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    cowdoc, Glad you had a successful afternoon! Now about that 3.5inch beast!
    I had a guy telling me how they were the greatest thing since sliced bread for turkeys! "Reach out there and get him!!!!!" "I'm going to get me one!!!!!" He said. I said, "Sir, I really don't think that's all that necessary! I can show you a Remington 20 guage Express....Youth Model, that has 42 longbeards to it's credit! Just why do you think you have to have a 3.5 inch 12 guage?!!"
    His next comment made me just STF up and realize that some people just have no reasoning! His comeback was: "Cause they don't make a 4 inch!!!!!!" End of discussion! Them prairies is big but you probably don't need one either! [:D][:)][:D][:)]GHD
  • old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    Don't give up on that 11-48 yet.I have one in 20 ga. and it is one of my favorite shotguns.Get a replacement bolt handle from gunpartscorp and you will be good for another 20 years.
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i probably will get a 3 1/2" so that when hunt waterfowl with steel would be the main reason for one and also with them grouse and P chickens they get up a long ways from ya...in fact they are mostly head shots with a 22-250 kinda deal[:D] in fact this grouse was sitting on top of a ground hay pile and snuck up on it or would'nt have got it. these bird you are lucky to get within 100-150yds of them. they are native and they dont hide in heavy cover [:D]

i just ordered the handle for my 11-48 from nurmich (sp) off the net and will cost me $14.00 with shipping....did i get hosed or not?
    edited November -1
    Cowdoc, I got a handle on that "headshot with the 22-250" deal! Now that is sportin! As far as the steel shot go, How often do the gameboys show up on the ranch? I usually have some steel shells in the bag when crow hunting....just in case a meandering goose comes by! GHD
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GHD if they get me that handle sent i'll stick with the 11-48 i kind like it anyhow.[:D]
    edited November -1
    cowdoc, You know you are going back to the spot where you lost it and find it the day after the new one shows up, don't you? I bought a whole new hydraulic cylinder for one of the pices of equipment! Went to the shop the next day after using the replacement and found the old one that had been covered up by someone else!!!! At least I had one for the next piece of machinery that needed one! I'll bet you can identify with that scenario!!!! GHD[:D]