In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

4-wheeler

cloquetcloquet Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited September 2002 in General Discussion
I am from N. MN. It freezes here during deer season. When you break thru thin ice getting to your stand, and then park it while you are hunting, drum brakes freeze. Triple sealed drum brakes freeze so solid you have to skid the machine to someplace warm to thaw them out. If they are not leaking now give them time. They will. It is hard to believe a co. like Honda would design a machine as advanced as the Rincon and then use drum brakes. All of the other new top line machines that are coming out have disc brakes or even better, internal brakes like the new Kawa Prairie. Honda could have done better. Honda Rincon both the best and the worst new ATV of the year at the same time.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I got the camera! Will let you know how it works. Sent you an e-mail but it won't go through! For Reddog's sake I will set it up in front of a groundhogs den!!! GHD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Was your way today but didn't go thru Mt. Airy at the right time to stop. Ya'll are sure greening up down that way and the groundhogs were out everywhere!! Just didn't think it to be a good idea to stop and lay the xp over the guardrail on 77 and whack one!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We missed meeting up again! Have you checked your e-mails? GHD
  • Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    You need to get "AMZOIL"- to fix the freeze problems!!!!
  • Options
    4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    I was looking into buying a Rincon but read an article on it and
    read some things I did not like,no trailor hitch and a lot of aluminum parts to save weight.It has hyd. disks on the back but sealed
    drums on front.I heard some complaints from the guys I ride with on the disk brakes(polaris) getting filled with mud and squealing like a siren.I have almost 5000 miles on my 450 and no brake problems at all.I have rode up and down creeks with water over the foot pegs.I have ridden a lot in snow and no freezing problems yet but our weather is not even close to what you ride in!!

What model honda do you ride?

"It was like that when I got here".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    daddo---I give up!!!What is that?

• Options
    edited November -1
    In the past I have owned Suzuki and Yamaha. Currently I have a Polaris 500. No brake problems with the Polaris, but it was getting expensive with the drum brakes on the Yamaha and the Suzuki. Other guys have different models of the Honda. All of the drum brake machines have problems. I am in the market for a new machine and was really keying in on the RINCON. Then I found out it had drum brakes. I think I will Take another look at the new Grizzly. It doesn't have the hyd trans, but everything else looks great.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our Dept.bought a Honda I believe its been a year ago.The first time it was used something happened to the transmission.Its an Auto Trans I guess it is a Lemon,but its been in the shop more than its been used.We didnt need the thing anyway.People tell me the Hondas are some of the best,Id rather have a mule than that thing we got.

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rugster,that is real unusual for a honda,I still see 1986 models running and never had problems.I am not that familar with the auto transmissions,I prefer changing gears with a pushbutton like the es honda.

cloquet--I have ridden the grizzley,it is a great machine and powerful.I still do not understand the problem with the drum brakes.
    My drums are o-ring sealed but you got to make sure when you go into them coat the o-ring with some type of grease before putting drum back on.

• Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Rugster and 4-Wheeler, I own BOTH!! A Polaris 325 Magnum and a Honda 250Recon ES! If I had to go buy a new one tomorrow it would probably be a Honda ES in whatever size I chose. If they made the 250 Recon in 4-Wheel drive it would be a virtual tank!!!! The little guy is Sarah's (Miss GHD) but I like it better than my Polaris. The Polaris will take me some places that the Honda won't but I'm not sure any body in there right mind ought to go there anyway! my Polaris has over 2000 miles and no brake problems and the Honda has over 1000 miles and it is a pleasure to ride! They don't come with odometers so I know some of you are wondering how I know how many miles are on it! I added an aftermarket speedometer and odometer for 79.95 and it works well! The only problem is the kit was made for a BLASTER and the magnet can give you a fit to mount where it will work and not get lost! Honda would be my choice tomorrow AM if I needed another one! GHD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GHD,My honda has almost 4600 miles on it,1999 model,zero problems.

• Options
    reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 recons and a rancher 4x4. If they had made the recon four wheel I would have three of them. I think they only make it two wheel because the rancher is their top seller and they would not make as much money. The recon would be almost unstopable if it was four wheel,you can take it most anywhere even though it is oly two wheel drive.

Guncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess we have a lemon,everyone else likes them.But get this it was Advertised in the paper as required by law and sealed Bids taken.Guess you know GHD MarkIV Honda is the only place in this area I know of,and probably the only bid placed.You know how this Goverment stuff is.

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Honda must have really improved in the reliability department.
    I have never owned a Honda 4 wheeler but i had several motorcycles in the 70's and early 80's and I worked on the things as much as I rode them. I also had Suzuki and Yamaha bikes from the same era and they was pretty much trouble free.
    Its a matter of opinion of what you like but personally I think Honda's are very over rated.

Edited by - Lightning on 09/02/2002 11:17:33
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Rugster, The bid probably had to stay as close to home as possible but Jimmy's Cycle Sales in Collinsville is not that far! I actually drove to Berryville to Shenandoah Honda for Sarah's! That's 3 hours from me!! But they were the only dealer in VA with a BEIGE one right before Christmas!! Actually they were one of the only dealers that had on period!! They only had 2 a red one and the one I got. They beat Cycle Center in Roanoke by 215.00!!! I guess I could drive there for that!!! GHD PS. I'll agree with that other post and he agreed with me, If they offered the Recon in 4-Wheel Drive it would be absolutely a miniature tank!!!