In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How many Ackley Improved shooters do we have?

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Y'all can welcome me the the club, Rem 700 .243AI[:D] As soon as it warms up some I gots to see how this thing shoots with me behind it. Already seen the targets the previous owner shot, just got to see what I can do with it. Then this spring it's "Here piggy piggy piggy"! Think this will get me into the 500 yard club[:D][:D]? Already have two rifles that will most definatly shoot 500 yards accuratly but those shoulder thumpers are too much for all day shootin. I'm hoping this .243 fills the gap between the .22 cals and the super mags I have for long range. May even shot me some deer with it come Red Tag season this summer!

line2.gif
email2b.gif
hillbilly.gif

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    It'll take you into the 1000 yard club...if you can shoot it[;)][:)] I'm having my 40XB (.243) Ackley Improved, after I finally get it back from Remington. It is going to be my 1000 yard gun.

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1000 yards eh? I can't even see that far!!!!![:D][:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7mm nut
    1000 yards eh? I can't even see that far!!!!![:D][:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif

Mr. Nightforce can help you with that[:)]

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have any experience with the .243 ackley but I would like for you to keep us posted as to what it will do when you do get the chance to shoot her. I live in the mountains of east Tennessee and there are no 1,000 yard ranges around here that I know of until you get west to flat land country down around Oak Ridge past Knoxville. Man, them flat landers got it made.
  • HUNT WALKERSHUNT WALKERS Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rifle that goes with me the most is a tang saftey ruger m77 in the 257 Ackley improved,can-jar trigger,leupold vari-x III 3.5-10, and a bell & carlson synthetic stock. It's fairly light and shoot very well, my only complaint is that I shoot left handed.

Have been thinking about a LH 700 Remington action chambered in a 280 Ackley improved.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Havent been thinking about any southpaw gun[:D] I know this last one will hold me back on any more gun purchases for atleast(is the wife looking?) a month[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lonnie,..I am one of the followers of the Ackley theory. I have the 280AI,..the 6.5-06AI and a 220swift AI project in the future. I may even rebarrel the 300RUM to the 300 Tomahawk (300RUM AI) next time around. Just wait till you get playing with that rig,...you'll be rechambering half the guns in the house[:D][:p]

HUNT WALKERS,...I have a 700 action chambered in 280AI. You will NOT be sorry for building one,...as neither will Lonnie with that 243AI. The AI calibers are great for power,..and just seem to be amazingly accurate. I beleive it to be a result of positive headspacing on that 40degree shoulder.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Lonnie, Go pick you up some 80 grain Bergers for that one too! Then load them with 46 grains of Reloader 19 and a Federal 210 Match primer or even back it down to 45.5 grains of Reloader 19. Both will shoot! 46 grains gives 3229fps and the 45.5 gives 3178 both with great accuracy! The 45.5 grain load put 10 shots into .498/100 yards so I think that one is pretty darn good! And the groundhog doesn't know the difference in 51 fps!!!!! [:D][:)][:D] With that bullet you can watch the bullet impact from 150 yards out due to the low recoil of that rifle! GHD