In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger .204

toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Are they out yet? I'm dying to see some results from one. It's probably gonna be my next purchase if the reviews are favorable.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif

Comments

• toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    What has been said or proven about this rifle. I have a 22-250 for varmits but really interested in this rifle. the accuracy, the punch and the general price of these guns. thanks for any help.
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    toolmaniam, They're not on the shelves yet......first indications from Ruger were they would be out mid-March....Ruger has had delays of over 2 years before getting stuff out they had announced. CZ is now saying they will chamber this round and their's should be out mid summer. I'll wait on something besides a Ruger! Hopefully Remington will do it in their new Light Varmint model! GHD
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard it said by some who shoot varmints that the .204 Ruger is an "answer to a question that nobody asked" because it merely duplicates the performance of several pre-existing rounds. If this is true, then it brings an interesting question to mind: Why would the average firearm enthusiast spend money on a novelty which isn't, in the final analysis, really novel at all? Please understand, I'm in no way dissing on anyone who wants one of these new firearms; I simply find it an interesting marketing/psychological phenomenon in that it seems like the average consumer finds it hard to resist something "new" simply because it is "new", and not because it offers any real, obvious advantage over what's available now. Is the .204 Ruger really a material improvement over competing varmint rounds/rifles?
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Respectfully,Tr., This is true of perhaps every caliber except .22,30-06 and .375 H&H..or some such trio.

Different pokes for different folks....a good thing we all don't like the same type woman,'ya know.

Will I have one ? Perhaps..Do I need one..? Nope..have a Swift that will do it all..Do I want one ? Course...

You may remember the controversy about the .17 HRM on this site a year ago..some of the older members pontificating endlessly about the "needless" aspect of it.? Well,the jury is in locally..around here there are people using it that never thought of small varmint hunting before..and loving every moment of it.
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I want one sooooooo bad. I'll probably get one next year. I read that they have highest velocity on a production centerfire, like 4220 fps or something around there. Should be quite the tack diver.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highball: As somebody once said in a Clint Eastwood movie: "There is iron in your words." I especially appreciate the point about the .17HMR---very similar situation here, it seems. I was thinking in terms of my own firearms-collecting habits, and it struck me how it might seem odd to other people that I have guns that are very close to each other, caliber-wise. DING! The light-bulb just went on, after your .17HMR example....

I guess the only thing which would worry me is, "What sort of staying power is this new caliber going to have?" Or, in other words: is it wise to buy a firearm when the popularity (and hence availability) of the ammo is uncertain?
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After about 5 or 6 firearms it's not about what you need. It's just about what you want..................[:D][:D]
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    trstone, Do you like "Black Rifles"? I don't own any and don't care too but you may and love them and enjoy them. Do you drool over SA pistols? I don't. Don't just have to have them either. Do you get "excited" about revolvers? They're there. Big deal. I own one. that's enough for me. Shotguns? I have yet to see one that I couldn't shoot at least as good or better than the guy that owned it but I don't just have to have one!
    Bottom line is that different things appeal to different folks! I am a rifle person. A varmint hunter and paper puncher. I like the ones that I can shoot all day and still not be worn out! I applaud the guys who love the "BIG MUTHAS"(aglore comes to mind![:D]) but I won't hurt their supply by any means. It's just all in what you want and enjoy! So go enjoy whatever you like. By the way, the 17HMR will trip your trigger!! GHD