In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Coyotes

ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I just wondered how dangerous coyotes are, and if they often attack humans. I am planning on buying some property in montana and there are coyotes and several other animals on and around the property, but coyotes are the only ones that I am wondering about. If someone can help me out, it would be great..

Comments

• ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years ago, the Sierra Club and the U.S. Forest Service were presenting an alternative to Wyoming ranchers for controlling the coyote population. It seems that after years of the ranchers using the tried and true methods of shooting and/or trapping the predator, the tree-huggers had a "more humane" solution.

What they proposed was for the animals to be captured alive, the males castrated and let loose again and the population would be controlled. This was ACTUALLY proposed to the Wyoming Wool and Sheep Grower's Association by the Sierra Club and the USFS. All of the ranchers thought about this amazing idea for a couple of minutes.

Finally, an old boy in the back stood up, tipped his hat back and said, "Son, I don't think you understand the problem. Those coyotes ain't screwin' our sheep - they're eatin' 'em"
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

standard.jpg
    Limerick.gif
    It's my cat's world. I'm just here to open cans.

We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

ATF,Eagle Guns
    edited November -1
    I live on the edge of town, or rather, I used to, but town is expanding around me. It used to be commonplace to hear coyotes in the draw about a half-mile away across the highway, but that has become rarer as the hills around the draw are getting developed. I know a lot of people think of coyotes as pests (and if I kept livestock I might think so too), but I've enjoyed hearing them at night--and on a couple of occasions I've enjoyed running into them on the path as I made my way into town. We used to have a cat in this apartment complex who was a hellion; he came flying into the parking lot on more than one occasion with coyotes on his heels. But then he also survived a fall from the 2nd story balcony and made a trip downtown on top of a vehicle travelling at 35 mph (Casper was a real badass).

A firetruck just went past and the 'yotes answered its siren. So I guess they're still in the neighborhood, even if that draw isn't their main hangout any longer.

On the other hand, I looked out the window a few nights ago and saw three deer munching on the neighbors' shrubbery.

No, I have no real point. Just missing the coyotes and the badass kitty that used to live in my neighborhood. And wondering if I ever want to live in a big city again.
    edited November -1
    0430 I'm in the garage gettin ready to go to my first day at work, got the garage doors open and out of nowhere this coyote starts bawlin. Hate it when they are close but I can't see them! Enough to make your hair stand up [:)]
    edited November -1
    So I took all (3) of the dogs out for a long hike this morning. We hiked the northern piece of our property, probably about 3 miles or so. We went out on the high side and came back in the creek bottom.

On the way out, Cisco the ACD, alerted on a big coyote den down in a draw at the bottom of one of our washed out roads (need to fix that road this year). I got down to where they were (very steep going) and saw they must have found an active den. Rabbit fur, tracks, sign and bones everywhere around the entrance.

Down where they were it was almost vertical getting down to it. I had to walk around a ways into the bottom from a different direction. My (human) 4WD don't work as good as theirs! I went down for a look see. About 15 feet up from the bottom there was about a 2 foot diameter entrance in a vertical face with a narrow shelf just below it. Absolutely exquisite strategic location. The shelf was only wide enough for a dog, commanding view to the south, east and west. I could get up to the den just enough to look inside. I didn't see or hear anything inside. We poked around a little more and found what looks to be another entrance started about 20 feet away. It only has about a 2" diameter hole (air hole maybe?).

Anyway, we moved on eventually and hiked back up to the top of the hill and started down the other side into the creek bottom. Elevation change on this section is about 500 feet up and then back down. We got down to the pond and it was crystal clear, the spring is just roiling (you can see it welling up). Of course Shelby, the Lab, was in the water swimming immediately. It was deep enough for her to swim even which was cool. I was busy paying attention to my problem child Rhode, the Border, trying to get him to go in swimming too. (Damn dog will go swimming in a stock tank, but he wouldn't go in this water). Next thing I know I hear branches snapping, cattails breaking and see a mud roostertail flying up in the air. Cisco is onto something!!

I quickly yelled "CISCO!!! COME!!", but it was too late. I quickly backed up onto the hillside so I could see and thought I saw Cisco exit the reeds about 400 yards to the south headed straight uphill on a dead run. But, it wasn't Cisco...this dog had a tail. COYOTE! Then I saw the roostertail, and 2nd coyote came out of the reeds with Cisco in hot pursuit. Now I've told you guys how fast this dog is, and maybe you believed me, maybe not, but Cisco was litterally running up this coyotes back!! Every 2nd-3rd bound Cisco would pull him down. At one point Cisco pulled him all the way down and rolled him. Now I'm PISSED, and furiously calling Cisco to break it off!! Now ordinarily, he's really good about this, but this dog challenged him on his turf. I don't want Cisco chasing coyotes because I know how they are...run off and lead another dog into a trap. And that's just what this coyote did.

After Cisco rolled him/her trying to follow the first one, he (Cisco) ran over the top of him and turned around. (If I'd have had my rifle with me right then it would have been a perfect shot...Cisco was far enough away he would have been out of harms way, but I didn't have a rifle). The 2nd coyote just stood there like "what the hell are you???" Cisco then turns around back downhill, takes off like a lightning bolt, and right before impact turns his head (like how dogs do) (the coyote turned his head to) and they hit shoulder to shoulder. Cisco hit this coyote like a locomotive, knocked him down again, rolled him and turned back uphill to face him.

The whole time I'm calling Cisco to break it off with these coyotes because I didn't see where the 1st went. The coyote bolts downhill and runs inside a 60" drainage pipe under our road. Cisco disappears. (this area is cattails and reeds 8-9 feet high in front of these pipes).

By now I'm very concerned about Cisco. He's been a brave warrior up to this point, and scared not one, but two, coyotes off, but out here there are lot's more. He's a very fast and powerful, proud, little man, but he's a dog, and these are coyotes. (I've seen them take down buck antelope (on our property even), one of the fastest animals on the plains, with lesser tactics than this).

I ran up the hill to the road and ran over to the other side. Cisco had chased that coyote through one of those two culverts to the other side. Cisco must have hesitated to run through the culvert (it's about 200' long) because he lost the coyote on the other side and was furiously searching for it. Those coyotes have 900 places to hide for every 1 he can find, and the rest was on his nose and he was tracking intensely.

Cisco is a great dog, but I've never raised him to be a coyote dog. Takes a very special dog to be a coyote dog and red healer/ACD's are not that breed. True coyote dogs, like catahoula (sp?) play the same games coyotes do, but they lure the coyotes back in to the owner (and away from the pack) so he can shoot them. Cisco wanted these coyotes, and he knows he can pull a dog down, run a dog down, but shoot; against three or four of these dogs he's likely no match...that's what worries me.

Cisco's big adventure today. How do you tell a dog as motivated as that, to do the right thing, he's a bad dog...you can't. As long as I could keep eyes on the situation I had at least one other dog I could send in without firearms, Shelby the Hammer, (but I didn't have a rifle...maybe that was my bad).

Anyway, all are safe tonight. In fact, all are sleeping right now (which is good).

Rhode, the problem child did give chase, but he really didn't know what Cisco was chasing after, or what Shelby was so riled up about. He didn't understand why Cisco tackled shelby on the sand of the road, when she was soaking wet from swimming, to profusely kiss her for having her back.

It was a bit funny in the end; some of the neighbors heard some of the yelling, barking and commotion in the distance and let their dogs out. Some (a new one, 'rescue' at the neighbor's) came running over to see what was up. Shelby, Cisco and even Rhode were glued together..."No, it's all over now; nothing to see here...move along!"

I saw one of those coyotes standing on top of the hill.

They'll be back.
    edited November -1
    Darn songdogs have got my Beagle going tonight. She hates it when they sit out back howling. The bad thing is that my wife has to get up at 3:00 am to get ready for work.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    haha i think Id rather be shot if i was a yote

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wonder if you can take yote nuts to the taxedermist.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ATF, some years back i saw a video on another alternative. The sheep dogs were trained to stay with the flock, and a pack of Irish or Russian Wolfhounds would run the coyotes down and kill them, you could say "with extreme prejudice". These dogs were some cold blooded killers! When they were through with the coyote, they would go back to the flock and wait for the next victim.
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aabout 20 years ago I knew of a guy doing the same thing with greyhounds. Put a big dent in the coyote population for awhile.

Mad Dog
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Castrating the critters is more Humane? Just ask the yote which
    he would prefer a Bullet or that..........[:D][:D][:D][:D]

use_deer.jpg
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    And exactly how much money is that little "humane" project gonna cost the tax payers[?][?][:(]

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
    edited November -1
    My dog Sam is castrated, as is Dawnie's dog Buster. They are happy as clams, and probably prefer their present state to being dead.

That said, castrating coyotes is a STUPID idea.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    Damn,I ain't sure that even a Coyote deserves that!
  • OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's the reason for my Ruger 22-250, to castrate them from a distance; miss that particular section occasionally, but hit the other parts...[8D]

It must be right, or we wouldn't do it this way!
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    ATF, That episode with the gov't people talking about that alternative was not a tale and it didn't happen in Wyoming! It happened at Va Tech in 1976 and the farmer who made the remark was Clinton Bell and he didn't say screwin!! If you saw the last Lassie movie, "Lassie Come Home", it was filmed at Clintons home in Tazewell Va! GHD