In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AR-15 vs. M1A

concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Okay, so I'm thinking about getting an AR-15. Problem is, I can't possibly bring another gun into the house right now (I bought two guns this month already) without my wife going ballistic. So, the thought has crossed my mind to sell the M1A and pick up a pre-ban Colt or Bushmaster AR-15.While I love my M1A, it is very heavy and the ammunition is expensive. Also, I have a high-power rifle for hunting already. I'm sure this question will stir some debate!So, let me have it!
Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals

Comments

• idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every gun in my cabinet fills a certain niche. Each one satisfies a want or perceived need. What niche are you trying to satisfy with the one or the other? I have regretted almost every trade or sale that I have made. I know that the feeling of a new gun is absolutely wonderful. I also know that the feeling of parting with a gun that was once part of your collection can't be assuaged by that "new" feeling which usually wears off before you even get it to the range. I'd reconsider and just start saving up. If you already have the funds allocated for it, I'd start working on a new excuse to give the wife. I can't think of a single one of my guns that I would want to be without. I find myself making fewer spontaneous purchases. This results in fewer guns purchased. However, the ones I buy I plan on keeping.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every gun in my cabinet fills a certain niche. Each one satisfies a want or perceived need. What niche are you trying to satisfy with the one or the other? I have regretted almost every trade or sale that I have made. I know that the feeling of a new gun is absolutely wonderful. I also know that the feeling of parting with a gun that was once part of your collection can't be assuaged by that "new" feeling which usually wears off before you even get it to the range. I'd reconsider and just start saving up. If you already have the funds allocated for it, I'd start working on a new excuse to give the wife. I can't think of a single one of my guns that I would want to be without. I find myself making fewer spontaneous purchases. This results in fewer guns purchased. However, the ones I buy I plan on keeping.
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You want to throw out a M1a for an AR? Did you forget to take your medication or what? I have both and I must say my Ars are nice BUT, if it is between them and a M1a the black rifle packs its bags. Ammo for the springfield can be had cheaply. Try www.aimsurplus.com. Buy it by the case. If you get rid of your M1a you will have nightmares for the rest of your life. Or let me know how much you want for it and I will give it a new home where it will be loved and taken care of.( Trust me just wait a little longer and get an AR and KEEP your M1a)
  • 5db5db Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sell the M1A!in fact, If it's a pre-ban USA made, I'll buy it! (Ever notice how the AR family of rifles come apart? That's to give the wives the impression we're just bringing "parts" home..)
    If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website
  • Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What will you be using the rifle for, G36? It makes a world of difference in the decision making process. Are you going to plink at cans? Then buy an AR.Are you going to whoop * on any invaders? Keep the M1A. If you're still having a tough time, sell the M1A and buy a good quality FN FAL. DSA Arm's SA58 series is the best that money cna buy. Accept no substitutes when it comes to defending your family and land. The FN FAL offers the best of both rifle platforms. It has the easy of handling like the AR, but the stopping power and range of the M1A. If you go the DSA Arms route, I highly recommend the Standard model. Check out DSA's FAL's at www.dsarms.com You won't be dissapointed with the "Right Arm Of The Free World!"
    Stand And Be Counted
    edited November -1
    By the way, why waste the cash on a pre-ban anything?! There's not a whole hell of a lot that you can do to a used pre-ban that you can't do with a brand new in the box Bushmaster. If you must have a pre-ban so that you can have the nifty bayonet, I'll sell you a roll of duct tape and a steak knife!
    Stand And Be Counted
  • Miss. CreantMiss. Creant Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just like the guy who would sell a Ferrari to buy a pinto.
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    G36,TRUST ME! If you like your M1a, DO NOT SELL IT! You will be kicking yourself for a long, long time. I cringe at the thought of every gun that I have liked, and ended up trading. Now my policy is, if I like it, I'm keepin' it. Ar's are great weapons, M1a's are legendary. I would love to have an M1A, but I wouldn't give up my Bushy for it.
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay, okay, I understand. It's not that I don't love my M1A, I do. I have a lot of fun with it and it performs beautifully. Yes, it is a pre-1994 Springfield NM rifle. But, I was shooting my brother-in-law's pre-ban Colt AR-15 and it was GREAT! I guess I just want one of those TOO. I don't use any of my guns for anything more than hunting or plinking, so it's not like I'm looking for a SHTF gun or a specific rifle. I just love the feeling of having a "new" firearm. And I like the idea of a lighter-weight firearm. Also, the thought of reloading has crossed my mind several times. But, I am just a little hesitant because it's the kind of thing that you could get hurt doing if you make a mistake and I'm not sure I'm ready to take on such a sensitive hobby just yet.Based on all the feedback I think the wisest decision is to just wait until the wife forgets about the last two and buy an AR-15 in addition to the M1A. By the way, the $$ isn't the issue, the wife just thinks I am obsessed. I think she's right.Thanks for all your help and feedback. You may have prevented me from making a big mistake!
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    If $$ is not an issue buy the wife something special. I mean real special then buy the AR. It works most of the time for me.
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    ConcealedG36, simple solution, give Mrs. ConcealedG36 the M1A for Valentine's Day with a rose struck in the barrel. Then when you want to use it, she may loan it to you, lol.-Charlie the romantic
    It's the stuff dreams are made of AngelNRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys are killing me here. Yeah, right, Mrs. G36 ALREADY thinks that they're hers!! And, I just paid for a Vegas Vacation we're taking in 2 weeks (which was supposed to offset the 2 guns I just bought). She doesn't like the M1A either, it's too big for her (she's a tiny thing). Didn't your wives/girlfriends tell you how it is? Mine told me a long time ago:What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO...NO...NO...DO NOT sell the M1A. I don't have one but I've got a couple of it's older brothers (Garands) and I wouldn't sell either of them. Also have an AR (actually an M-16) and that's a hoot to shoot. So long as I, or Mrs. Mudge, stay in semi. that is. Full auto can get REALLY expensive. Mudge the frugal
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
    edited November -1
    G36:I'll be im Vegas from the 22-25th of this month. Perhaps I'll see you there.
  • pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easy,sell the wife, buy the gun. I don't see any reason that this had to go to debate, Now as far as a trade deal goes we need a pic of the gun, and the 'trade item'