In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New places to hunt

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
To quote the Da Yoopers in the song,Da Turdy Point Buck "Well, it's gettin to be that time of year again boys" Time to start thinking about where to go in pursuit of that sneaky buck. I want to get away from PA to do some deer hunting this year but I'm not sure where I want to go. The deer hunting here is ok if you like little doe's. The PA Game Commission has delclared war against the deer and now the herds are not what they used to be, bucks are harder to find because an awful lot of them get creamed in doe season as button bucks. I love to archery hunt and gun season only comes to mind when I can't get one with the bow, (happens alot!). Any of you know of any hot spots for nice bucks? I mentioned going to Kansas before and that thought is still open. I even have been thinking about Illinios for archery, any suggestions on good public ground (or private) and what is close for lodging. I don't have alot of money to spend on a big hunt so it will have to be public ground and motel city. Scouting will be a problem so I need help on where to go. I may also bring the boy since he wants to get one with the bow (dat's my boy!) Also what do I need to do as far as licensing? Kansas has a lottery system right? When do I need to apply?

Comments

• Options
    instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Deffinetly look at Kansas, I hear MANY good things. However don't overlook Iowa. They have the same factors that grow 'em huge in Kansas. I've seen bigger does out of Iowa and Minnesota than most states can with bucks. Gotta love them corn fed deer.
    When in doubt...."FRAG OUT!"
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm one thing you have to think about is land ownership. In the west there is a lot of public land, so if you don't have a friend with a farm or ranch, you can hunt in the National Forest or BLM land. In Kansas, there is little public land so you need to find a place you can hunt first thing. Not necessarily easy. Otoman or Kimberkid might be able to offer some pointers. Good Luck!
  • Options
    songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the record books. They say it all as far aas big bucks go. I believe they say something like uh mmmmm KANSAS. There is alot of preivate land leased by the KDWP for public hunting use. Check the department of wildlife and parks website, do a search. THey will tell you about fees and dates. With the internet you can look at contour of the land with those PHOTOGRAPHIC sites. I also have an old neighbor that started a website that shows all of the leased land on the internet with maps. www.kansaswildlife.com songdog
    Be bold in what you stand for, careful in what you fall for.