In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

PETA sues Jersey fish and wildlife division

pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
PeTA Activists Hit Deer While Driving, Sue New Jersey Fish And Wildlife Division When a car driven by two People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PeTA) activists hit a deer in New Jersey last November, PeTA saw red. As a result of that accident, PeTA has faxed a notice to Bob McDowell, director of the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection's Division of Fish and Wildlife, and John Bradway, chairman of the New Jersey Fish and Game Council, making them aware of PeTA's intent to sue them over of the accident. PeTA claims that the accident--as well as thousands more that take place every year--was " . caused by the state's mismanagement of the deer population, which includes purposely increasing the size of the state's deer herd in order to provide more live targets for hunters and so jeopardizes the well-being of people who use the roads." PeTA says that by placing the interests of hunters, who it says amount to barely more than 1 percent of New Jersey's population, above the safety of the more than 8 million New Jersey residents and countless out-of-state travelers who use the roads, wildlife agencies are violating the state's constitutional mandate to provide protection and security to its people

Comments

• instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please, tell me this is a joke
  • pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    I got it from the emails sent from the North Amercian Hunting Club. It was linked to some news site...I'd post the link, but deleted the email.
  • niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard it too. It was on a news radio report this morning. In-F***ing-credible.Don't kill animals or we'll sue. You didn't kill enough animals so now we'll sue.Lawyers lawyers lawyers...I guarantee the four hoursemen of the apocalypse will not be wearing garments of fire and carrying swords and axes... They will be wearing suits and carrying briefcases.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    States' Constitutional mandate to protect it citizens? I thought we dicussed that before and there is no such a thing?
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, take it to a mechanic. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    with any luck those "victemized" liberals driving the vehicle cried for a week.
    New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    What happens the other nine months that hunting isn't going on? Do the deer suddenly watch out for traffic? I think deer are still making contact with front grills. Who will they sue then? I'm begining to think, the people are getting tired all over with these nuts!
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is the official letter recieved by NJ Fish & Game.....February 14, 2002 Bob McDowell, Director New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife P.O. Box 400 Trenton, NJ 08625-0400 Dear Mr. McDowell: Pursuant to New Jersey state law, this will serve as notice that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), Dan Shannon, and Jay Kelly each reserves the right to bring an action for damages and/or injuries sustained in an automobile crash on November 16, 2001. Shortly before 1 o'clock in the morning on that date, while driving a Honda Civic belonging to PETA (and while returning from a PETA campaigning tour) southbound on the New Jersey Turnpike, a deer darted out in front of the car and a collision resulted. The collision occurred at or near mile marker 15.4 in Woolwich Township, Gloucester County. Damage to the car was severe, resulting in a repair bill that exceeded $6,000.00 and loss of use of the car for nearly two months. The total amount of damages is, as yet, unknown. PETA, Mr. Shannon, and Mr. Kelly believe that this collision, which occurred near the start of New Jersey's hunting season, was caused by the state's Department of Environmental Protection Fish and Wildlife Division and the Fish and Game Council as a result of their deer management program, which includes, in certain circumstances, an affirmative effort to increase deer populations. Despite the known dangers an increased deer population poses to motorists in the state, the Division and Council actively assist in increasing the deer population for the purpose of enhancing hunting opportunities and license revenues. The result, as was the case here, is a significant number of auto-deer collisions each year, causing significant injuries and property damage. The New Jersey State Constitution expressly mandates that the government's responsibility is the protection, security, and benefit of the people. The state's deer management program effectively places recreational interests over safety interests, thereby violating the obligations of the government to, above all, act in the best interests of public safety. The constitution further ensures the rights of persons to enjoy and defend their rights to, among other things, life, property, and safety. The deer management program, which exists only for recreational and economic interests, inherently threatens those rights the state constitution guarantees, and is, therefore, unlawful. Please send any notices to the address listed on this letterhead. Thank you. Respectfully, Matthew Penzer Legal Counsel
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    well, there goes the ol artificial insemination program.i KNEW there would be to damn many of them. barto
    the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer
  • songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe we should adopt the pre ww2 thoeries of the germans and do selective breeding in cases like this so as we all do not look like a bunch of well dressed *. I can not believe this shtuff. Too bad it did not kill them. could you imagine the lawsuit there. First PETA was putting orange vests on deer to save them (hoax), now they are putting bulzeyes on their * to get rid of them. songdog
    Be bold in what you stand for, careful in what you fall for.