In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Migratory game laws

songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
I was wondering on a law that is out about migratory birds. I have a bolt action 410 that i would love to shoot doves with. The stipulation is that the clip holds 3 and one in the barrel giving a total of 4 bullets. One over the limit. Now it is to my belief that the reasoning for the three shell limit is to keep rapid fire out of the picture. Do you think that it would be legal to still shoot this shotgun at doves? All replies are welcome,but i would rather not here "contact your locao authorities or any thing like that." I just want your opinion on the matter.songdog
Be bold in what you stand for, careful in what you fall for.

Comments

• timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gun cannot be capable of holding more than 3 shells, period, no exceptions. I didn't know doves were considered under the federal regs, since we can't shoot them here. I'm not sure if there's any way to block a magazine for a bolt action (whatcha got an old Stevens like mine?). A dummy shell won't do. Since you're shooting a .410, you'll probably be going for only absolutely sure shots anyway, under 25 yards anyway, no? I'd leave the magazine home and use it as a single-shot.
  • songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HEY BEAST-That was what i was thinking about the laws myself i just was not sure. Yea it is an old stevens. My old man picked it up at an auction for $1 mint condition. I use it in the boat for snakes and such. I have taken a liking to using it for yotes as well. I shoot those slugs out of it. 4 inch group at 60 yards is not to bad for only having the bead to sight off of.songdog
  • muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Songdog.......Don't know how it is in Kansas, but in Kal the gun would be illegal to use. Like Timberbeast said, it is CAPABLE of holding more then three shells whether the magazine is there or not. A few years back a young friend of mine lost his shotgun to a dedicated Game Warden and never got it back. He was shooting it single shot and had left the magazine at home. The Game Warden accused the kid of throwing the magazine away before he was caught. The logic has always escaped me because most semis and pumps are CAPABLE of holding more if you take the plug out.
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My bad, Muley, I think that warden must have been a jerk, but some are. Can't understand how he looked up what the mag capacity was, hell, mine was missing when I got the gun from gramps, had a machine shop make me one. I've shot more game with that little popper than with anything I've owned. Never got any kinda consistency outa slugs, though, with any .410. I have a whole bunch of guns, but that little 80-buck Stevens is one of my favorites!!! Songdog, you got the "pull and turn" safety on the back of the bolt?
  • Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Maine we cannot hunt doves. However, the federal regulations regarding firearms is as follows: RESTRICTIONS. No person shall take migratory game birds: With a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler which is incapable of removal without disassembling the gun. Not much help to you but interesting as the laws vary so much from state to state. We have no restrictions on shotgun shell capacity for hunting game other than waterfowl except for semi-autos that are limited to no more than five in the magazine.
  • Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Maine we cannot hunt doves. However, the federal regulations regarding firearms is as follows: RESTRICTIONS. No person shall take migratory game birds: With a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler which is incapable of removal without disassembling the gun. Not much help to you but interesting as the laws vary so much from state to state. We have no restrictions on shotgun shell capacity for hunting game other than waterfowl except for semi-autos that are limited to no more than five in the magazine.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not allowed to shoot doves in NH - don't know why, they annoy the h*** out of me w/ their DUH - duh - duh - duh call. But are they considered *migratory* birds subject to Federal regulation? We have the stupid things around here in winter.Thanks for the answer, Bayou. I wish you guys would do more to reduce the number flying north in the spring![This message has been edited by Iconoclast (edited 02-10-2002).]
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    songdog: you maybe could do the following, if you have a extra mag, use a wooden dowel (plug )of the right size and cut to the right lenght and JB weld it to the mag lifter, so it can not be removed. JB weld can be found at any parts store , it comes as a set of 2 tubes one filler and one harder, it works just becarefull you don't get it in the wrong places. Then if you are ever checked you can show that your gun is pluged. Do you know anyone are the Moundridge area?
  • BayouCritterBayouCritter Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doves are included in the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act so prosecution would fall within the Federal District Court where you hunt. That gun would be illegal if it is capable of having a capacity of more than 3 shells. If you choose to go the route of leaving the magazine at home, it would probably be a judgement call of the game warden to cite the offense, then it would be up to the US Attorney to file a bill in the case. Don't look for any compassion once the case gets that far.Your safest bet if you really want to hunt with that gun is to try to machine that magazine where it can only hold 2 shells.
  • songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gskyhawk- no i do not know any one in that area, but if you come up to visit the people there, we could go shoot out at the ranch or range. I have only been there once to play a baseball game.songdog