In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington banner

RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
I make no secret about loving Remington guns but last year I saw a little viper and thought it was cute and besides I didn't have one so I bought it. Brought it home and loaded it up, chambered one and pulled the trigger. Nothing. Tried it again, same thing. Took the gun apart and found out why. Worst trigger I ever saw on a gun! Nothing wrong with it except it had about a ten pound pull! Took it to a gun show today and traded it for a monkey ward, (Mossberg) 45A in about 90% condition. Traded even up and am very happy. I still carry Remington's banner high but there is a little stain down in one corner and in that stain it says viper. Rosie

Comments

• oldfriendsoldfriends Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree about the Viper being a poor excuse for a rifle. I came close to adding it to the post "Worst Rifles" a couple of days ago. Bought one when they first came out. Thought it would be good for the kids to shoot. The magazine was in the way, the trigger pull is too stif, and the plastic rear sights would not stay adjusted. It sits in the corner now with no use. I did loan it to a friend to shoot some shot shells at some squirrels he was having problems with. He returned it and did not have anything good to say about it either. Too bad, I have never had anything against Remmington, but this is a blite on their line.
    Life is Tough!It's Tougher if You're Stupid
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never hear much talk about the 597. A competent gunsmith back in NY told me they were great guns so I bought one. Anyone else have any experience with them?
  • ysacresysacres Member Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The trigger pull on my new 700 VLS was off the scale, above 10 lbs. finaly got her down to 2 1/4 and no creep.Remington Rules
  • drawndrawn Member Posts: 544
    edited November -1
    I have a 597 with a synthetic stock. My son put 1100 rounds threw it between our last two trips to the range. I believe he calls it his gun now. I havn't shot it in over a year but I remeber it being a good shooter after oiling the rails that came dry from the factory.
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    You'll like that Mossberg. I have a 1972 Mossberg (Monkey Ward) in a .243 and it gets less than 1/2" groups at 100 yds. Using 4320 powder & 100 grn. Sierra bullets.