In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

$500 rifle

Gene B.Gene B. Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in General Discussion
A member in my family is looking for a rifle mostly just for hunting deer. I know almost nothing about all the kinds of different rifles, so I decided to ask yall. He wants it to be around $500, preferably a .243, preferably a synthetic stock, bolt action or semi(If possible) and for it to be able to hold at least 5 rounds, and for it to be in NEW condition. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm quite sure that a Ruger M77 could be had very easily for that amount of money, even though I'm a big fan of Rem I have been looking alot at rugers these days.

Real men use little bullets.
  • Options
    sundownersundowner Member Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage 11FC. 4 rounds + 1 in chamber, syn stock, available in .243, should be able to get it for well less than $500 new (so you can spend more on the optics). Great out of the box accuracy at a low price.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could spend the money you saved on the Savage to buy a new trigger for it and then a real stock or you could just go with the Ruger.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am no expert, and do not have experience with many types of bolt guns. But I did just buy a used Savage 111 in 3006, and it sure seems like a great gun to me.
    I have heard about the trigger issues with the Savage, but I do not have a problem with the trigger on the rifle-however, for all I know, the original owner dropped a trigger in there-I really dont know-I know the trigger that is on the rifle has a couple of screws on it that makes me think it might be aftermarket, but I am ignorant on this issue.
    As far as the composite stock-I have to tell you, I was first turned off by it, cause I just like the look of a wood stock. But since, I am glad it has a composite stock. I pratically shed tears whenever I nick a gun in the woods, even on my cheap guns(which is all of them). With the composite stock, I dont really care what happens-thats not to say I am going to carelessly bang it around in the woods, it just means I am going to be a bit more relaxed about my equipment while I am stompin around.
    I got the gun for $165(quite a steal, considering it is left handed), and took off the existing scope and put a Leupold VX2($200-again a very good price). The whole set up cost me less than $400-and so far, I am very satisified.

"Sometimes the people have to give up some individual rights for the safety of society."
    -Bill Clinton(MTV interview)
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rem 700 ADL in synthetic $399
    Scope and rings (Bushnell Trophy) $100-$120

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Second JustC, though I think the Savage is a great choice too. If you buy the Ruger you will need a new trigger, unless you like a 6.5 lb pull and overtravel.

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    Savage is the best buy for the money and the most accurate to boot.

moc.murofsmraerifeht
  • Options
    BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the Savage in a package set-up. The scope supplied will more than handle the average deer hunter's needs for many years. You can spend the money for a new trigger (as my brother in law just did for his girlfriends rifle) OR you can adjust the trigger to quite acceptable level for hunting (as I did for her when we took the action out of the stock to see about changing the trigger assembly).

Take the approximately $100 left and buy different kinds of ammo to see which shoots best. Shoot it a lot, get used to it and it will kill any deer at any reasonable range.

KC
  • Options
    martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage is fine for the average shooter. However I must disagree, the trigger on a new savage sucks. Very rough and gritty feeling. I bought one to try in 22-250, shoots good but would shoot a lot better with trigger work.
  • Options
    Darin SperlingDarin Sperling Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SIG SHR 970...smooth bolt action...accuracy guarantee out of the box

Sperling PE
  • Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    I don't have the savage, so I couldn't compare, but I sure like the Remington 700- very accurate right out of the box, and great price.
    For a .243- a nice 4-9x40 scope works well. I actually have never gone more than 8, and use the 6 most of the time.