In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

got my 1st speeding ticket today,darn it.......

0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
got my 1st speeding ticket today,darn it.......
my first speeding ticket ever[:(!]i got today.43 mph in a 35mph zone i didnt see the cop.told him this is my first ticket ever.im 25 and had a perfect driving record.now i have to pay $101 in 15 days[:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][B)][B)][B)][B)][}:)][}:)]

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
SEMPER FI

Comments

• gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Get Over It Marine. snot happens, just dont make the same mistake twice. my 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Fight it. Maybe the officer will give you a break and not show up.
    Who needs "points" on their license and a 40% increase on their insurance.
    Maybe he'll let it drop down to a seat-belt violation.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    congrats buddy

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    I quess it wouldn't help you any by saying I haven't had a ticket in 22 years and that I just jinx myself by saying so.
    See if your state has a program where you take a saftey class and get the fine waived and the violation doesn't go on your record,-"you don't need it on your record" because your insurance company "will" find out.
    [:0]
    You can also request a trial by jury (in some states), which the court doesn't want and may reduce the violation and/or fine just to get some money upfront. Good luck!
  • benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    0311marine,

Do not pay the ticket. Take defensive driving, hire a lawyer who specializes in traffic tickets, whatever you have to but dont let the ticket get on your record. And dont think you can go to court and get the judge to dismiss it or reduce it to a non-moving violation. That wont happen without a lawyer by your side.

I have hired a law firm several times on traffic tickets. They specialize in getting tickets fixed. It costs as much as the ticket would but I would rather see the money go for a lawyer's boat payment as in the city's cash register. With 4 tickets in the past 10 years I still have a clean record. And my insurance premiums are at the bottom of the scale.[:D]
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    43 in a 35? It must have been a State cop. Most states have rules that make local (city/county) cops 'give' at least 10 mph before they can cite you. State cops can actually give you a ticket for going 1 mph over the limit.

Research your state's laws, and fight it if the ticket was outside your state's regulations.

I don't usually give advice on 'getting out' of tickets, but this one seems kinda nit s&*t.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got one by a city cop for 22 in a 20 school zone. I didnt dare try to fight it. The law firm fixed it.
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    i got one Jan 29th for 47 in a 30. I asked for a continuance, as upon looking I noticed that the speed was not posted....for 4.8 miles. Also learned that a class b or c city must post speed limits every 2/10's of a mile. ' Have a nice day officer' (my attorney says i'm a better lawyer than he is, which i should slap him for the insult)[:D]

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    i was taking my girlfreind to her college and we running late i think i sped up to pass a car .thats how he got me.it was a city cop i should have just said to the cop"that she was late for a midterm and her college career depended on it. Now I have to pay a 100 dollar fine in fifteen days. so now i can't get her a valentines day present.....[:(][:(][:(][:)]i was nice to the cop and polite yes sir no sir damn charm didnt work, i dont have boobs that's why..lol.i was so pissed after he left all i could do was just laugh and keep saying * f****r[:D].

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    I got one a few years ago for going 40 in a 25.The trouble was,I wasn`t going 40 or any where near it.I went in front of the magistrate and got out of it .Everybody in the court room that day was there for the same reason.Seems this cop has a bad habit of giving out tickets that aren`t right.Even the magistrate doesn`t like this cop.I found that out from another officer that I know.
    What the cop saw was me doing 40 in a 35 zone.He waited until I came to a stop light.When it turned green and I turned on to a 25 zone ,thats when he stoped me.I know I wasn`t doing 40 on that stretch of road because I had spotted him when I was in the 35 mph zone.He was driving around to the other side of a building to get in position to nail me if I turned on the other road.I figured he wouln`t bother me for 40 in a 35 zone.Boy was I surprized when he stopped me for 40 in a 25.I knew he was there at that point and was watching my speed.Nothing worse that a crooked cop.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    At worst pay a shop to do a speedometer check to say your car was not calibrated properly. Twisted cable or whatever. Improper equipment ticket is usually around $25 fine and no points. They will let you get away with this ploy one time. Less than ten mph over is pretty much a gimme in this case. Pay a lawyer instead of the insurance company. The lawyer will only charge you once.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Whatever you do with this,good luck.

Just remember,bad things come in three's.

Be careful.
    BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    Rebel James

I got a ticket for driving 70 in a 65 from a state cop. That one still pisses me off.

I am not a number I am a free man

sig

Volin.gif
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 0311marine
    43 mph in a 35mph zone

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME.. I would have told the cop to eat fooey. Obviously the guy was bored. Probably was a state cop, eh? What method did he use to clock you? In Pennsylvania clocking someone with a vascar style unit (stop watched over a known distance), cannot be used as evidence if its within 10 mph of the speed limit (there are some other conditions, like over 35 or something). For example, if a cop clocks me going 45 in a 35 with vascar, or some type of timer unit, its not permissable as evidence in court.. and this alone suggests the inaccuracy of such a unit. There are many variables, the cop has to actually watch you pass usually two white lines, and click the button twice, so there is a reaction time that could make it inaccurate, lighting, anticipation, etc etc.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    The only place you can really get away with speeding is the freeway and even then you have to keep it under 80mph or so.

It sucks, but welcome to the club. [;)]

f9ef9b6e.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had two tickets in the last twenty-five or so years. Went to court & the cop didn't show up for either one. Based on the tickets being dismissed I would guess that half of them didn't show up. Problem is that most folks can't afford to take the time off from work
    & night court here is only for pleading guilty. (Wonder why?)
    I would suspect that your chances are better for a minor offence where the fine is relatively small & there were no accidents or injuries. In the time they take to get your $100.00 they could be making more from other poor suckers.
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should have shown him your DOD ID might have helped

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Listen up Marine, this is important! Do NOT plead guilty. Hire a liar, I mean lawyer if you have to and get it dismissed or dropped. It will be worth every cent because of insurance and your driving record. Voice of experience talking to you here. It's a plot and a game between the insurance people and the cops. They bag you for speeding, your insurance goes up, you pay a fine, the insurance people buy the cops radar. You figure it out. They are after your money and will get it one way or the other. The last ticket (after a good number of them through the years) was for 72 in a 55, it was a BS ticket, no way I could have made that curve in that truck. I will never ever pay a ticket again, as much as I hate lawyers, I will pay them before playing the insurance game.

Semper Fi
    edited November -1
    Now; go see if you can take the "defensive driving" course and get that offense taken care of, now that reality is setting in.
    Not getting tickets for under 10 mph, telling the officer "phooey", hoping the officer is a crook and hated by the judge, and measuring the distance between signs, isn't going to help now. You can do these later and contest with knowledge or go to jail after saying "phooey" when you have the time.[:)][:)][:)][:)]
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Are you still in the Portland area??
    If so, you might as well just pony up the $$.
    The judges in those parts have been instructed not to reduce ANY fines for traffic violations. Or so I've heard reported on the news.
    Every blood sucking government agency in the area is crying POVERTY!!
    Since the tightwad tax payers won't vote themselves higher taxes, they'll collect their $$ from folks like you.
    BTW, you WERE speeding.

The Bush administration sends tens of thousands of American military to protect the sovereignty of nations around the world, while trading our own sovereignty for hispanic votes!
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marine, call your insurance company. Mine lets the first ticket slide with no points nor penalty.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
    edited November -1
    I write a few tickets.

I would NEVER write one for 8 mph over, unless it was in a school zone. That is feather-legged.

That said, if I wrote that ticket, I would tell you to turn it over on the back and read paragraph #3. That is the one that explains how to request Defensive Driving. DO IT. You have to make application in writing to the court in advance of your appearance date. You will probably have to pay a "fee" to the court that will approximate the fine. Just do it.

Then take the course. You can even do it on the net or rent a video if you don't want to sit through a class. Turn your certificate in to the court and the ticket goes away. Turn the certificate in to your insurance agent and get a 10% discount for three years.

Win-win situation, at least in Texas. Your laws may differ.

Your cops are still feather-legged.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    marine, I had a similar case as yours in that I was pulled over when passing a car. It was 2 in the morning and the car in front was slowing down, speeding up, and all around just being a nuisance. First big straightaway I nailed it, passed them and got pulled over by a cop coming the other way. I got 76 in a 55, which is $120 fine. I just paid up, as it would cost me more to miss work than to just pay it. I did check that my insurance wouldnt go up first though.

RUGER.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis
    edited November -1
    If your in Oregon go here
    Traffic School Registration
    Traffic School Online keeps your insurance rates low and your driving record clean. ... A Traffic School Online.com Program. "For people with hectic work schedules and family commitments, this can be the best ... Court Ordered--I got a ticket in Oregon! County: Baker ...
    http://www.trafficschoolonline.com/?section=gatewa
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nebraska State Police doesn't care if you are in the military (and even in the commission of official duties). I got my first ticket on January 2 this year while I was working. Oh well. I deserved it. Like you, I accelerated to pass a slow-moving vehicle. It happened to be a semi. I had to gun it a little harder to get around him because he was following a vehicle so closely that I didn't see it until I got alongside of him. Nebraska has a provision that allows you to get out of certain traffic violations by taking a defensive driving class. Mine was supposed to last 8 hours on a Sunday. Fortunately, it lasted 3 hours and I buzzed through the simple test at the end of the class and got the heck out. The ticket was dismissed. The ticket was for $106. The class costed $161. I'm sure I saved money in the long run considering points and insurance.

I'd recommend enrolling in a defensive driving class and going to court with it. A few hundred dollars in the near-term could save you much more in the long-term. I figure you should be able to do that if it's your first ticket. I have a different opinion for those who make that kind of driving a pattern of behavior.
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Got popped by a weight watcher on the interstate in NC. He said I was going 100 plus when he caught up to me, I was blowing carbon out of the Harley's straight pipes.[:D] Anywho he asked me what I was doing so I told him I was driving like an idiot and I probably should be arrested.[}:)] He agreed and took my license back to his cruiser and ran a NCIC on me. When it came back clean he gave me my license back and told me he was going off his shift and to never let him catch me driving like that again.[:D]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    it was a seattle city cop i drove the route today and there were no signs posted .i lived here in seattle washington for 3 weeks now

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
    edited November -1
    0311marine-- go to my other post-"O.K. check this speeding ticket savy"