In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Spyware Info Added

22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I have been running Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad Aware for quite awhile.
Spybot does a good job of cleaning up the spyware that is put on my computer.
But doesn't stop it.

I have had to remove Avenue A Spyware everyday.

Problem now solved Program is Spyware Blaster (free)
Blocks the spyware from ever being put on your computer.

btt: for those that may have missed this post

I have had Spyware Blaster a week and no spyware

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Spyware - what is it?
Problem:

Did you know that by going to a website or downloading software that you can unknowingly install a bit of spyware on your computer? What does spyware do anyway?

Solution:

Spyware is a small piece of software on your computer that, unknown to you, harvests your computer activities; the websites you visit, the types of activities you do at those sites, the time spent there, etc., and returns that information to the spy. Many of them gather information that you probably would not give out willingly. They are just like bloodsucking ticks; walk through a grassy area and you can pick up several; cruise the internet, look at a few websites, do a search and pick up spyware. The fun part of all this is you don't know who Big Brother is.

There are several products on the market that will search out the various spyware installed on your machine. At this time, we think Spybot is one of the best at finding spyware.

I regularly zap spyware. I think the 'ticks' should pay me for the information they harvest.

Here is a short list of sites that I visited today to create this document. Lots of them have ads but only some ads will insert spyware. I went to each site in turn and ran the Spybot detector to determine which ones carried ads that insert spyware.

McAfee: NO SPYWARE - Just annoying pop-up ads.

Google: - NO SPYWARE

CNN.com: - YES SPYWARE - Avenue A, Inc. tracking cookie.

MSNBC.com - - YES SPYWARE - Advertising.com tracking cookie.

About.com: - YES SPYWARE - 6 tracking cookies for advertisers appeared and installed themselves on my pc just from opening the About.com page. - 3 each of Advertising.com, 1 Avenue A, Inc., 1 DoubleClick and 1 Gator.

This is just a sample of what I picked up today. Spybot Search & Destroy software can detect these spies and can also immunize your system against the most common offenders.

Sold my Cow so I don't need any Bull

Comments

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I'll give it a work-out.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing I do is to edit my hosts file so spyware can't "phone home". The same thing can be done with firewalls too.

Thanks for the tip though, I might have to give it a whirl too.

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bambi -- What do you do to your Hosts file? I'd be interested in the procedure if it's not too much trouble.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
    edited November -1
    You take the DNS address and give it a fixed address using the "loopback" address.
    I'll C&P a few lines of mine (or I can send you the whole thing if you prefer). You can edit the host file with notepad (it'll ask every time since it doesn't have an extention).
    You can use wildcards, but they don't always work for whatever reason... Here's just a few: *remember the localhost will already be there and SHOULD stay in there*

127.0.0.1 *adserve*
    127.0.0.1 *websponsors*
    127.0.0.1 NS1.DN.NET
    127.0.0.1 NS2.DN.NET
    127.0.0.1 webclients.net
    127.0.0.1 ads.videoaxs.com
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.0.1 desktop.kazaa.com

• IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    offeror, bambi . . . you boys going to speak English here? [;)]

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
    edited November -1
    You didn't know I spoke geek did you?
    *this is where you say it's all greek to you*

edited November -1
    22WRF, thanks for the link; it is a good app.

bambi, I must concede you have a way with words . . . . [;)]

• tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    22WRF: thanks for taking the time to post this info. I need a LOT more education on things like this.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    A little addition info if you install Spyware Blaster.
    It runs in the background so you never see it. (No icon on desktop)

To open it just look under programs (Start)
    [Thats the thing Bill Gates put in Windows to shut it down]
    It will show in your programs and you need to go there to do updates and you want to update it right after you install it. From then on once a week is enough to check for updates.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.
    [Teddy Roosevelt]
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Does this work on an Apple iMac computer?

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    quote: Does this work on an Apple iMac computer?

Mfg of computer does't matter as long as it's running one of the OS's

Compatible with Windows 95, 98, ME, NT 4, 2000, XP.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.
    [Teddy Roosevelt]
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I have a question. What do you do about the spyware that may already be on your computer? What IS Gator? I have a lot of gator files.
    edited November -1
    daddo, Gator is to electronic privacy invasion as the KGB and CIA are to espionage. I thought I had routed Gator all out some time past, but the SpyBot S&D found it all through my registry, along with a bunch of other home invaders, all now terminated with extreme prejudice (again, 22WRF, thank you!). Gator is piggy backed on several freebie programs; showed up on my system after my teens downloaded various media players and other junk.

Pretty obvious that for all the "privacy protection" we allegedly have, officialdom likely can (and has) invaded any home system it wants to. I don't mean to sound paranoid, but I'm beginning to feel that way. How does anyone truly *know* that these spyware blockers / removers are doing a complete job . . . say taking out the commercial dung, but leaving the little goodies installed by alphabet agencies, possibly even on the system chip or BIOS as they come from the factory? Oh, yeah, like I'm going to *trust* those agencies to leave me alone! Big Brother is running a little late, but he's definitely coming.

• daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Looks like it's time for "gator" hunting. Thanks!