In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

who makes the best cordless drill/saw?

alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
i just got a SKIL 14.4 volt cordless drill/saw. how does this compare to the dewalt or others?

www.alaskancampfire.com

Comments

• timinpatiminpa Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gotta love the black and decker firestorm TIM
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Makita and DeWalt. Batteries seem to hold up okay and give plenty of warning when dying.
    LOVE the new type batteries with no memory. Got a DeWalt charger now with a refresh button. Still testing it. Suppose to drain, then recharge the battery.
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    I guess you got the combo-pack??
    I used to like the Ryobi 14.4, plenty of power and priced right!
    But, I've recently had trouble with ALL my batteries, at almost exactly the same time.
    Some that were used a lot and some that were used a little, all about the same age.
    Of the stuff I've used? It pains me to say that the 18 volt DeWalt is the best. Their combo-pack with the 1/2in. drill/ saw/ sawzall/ flashlight is everything most people, even professionals, would need.
    And I'm no big fan of other DeWalt tools.
  • schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had the Black and Decker, Makita & skil (and one generic one). I liked the Skil the best. It lasted the longest and had the most power. That's my experience so take it for what it is worth.

Be responsible
    Be intelligent
    Be REPUBLICAN
  • snowtiggersnowtigger Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had Makita's for about ten years. At work we have a 14.4 volt DeWalt that was used HARD for about 6 years. The only reason it is not still being abused is because two years ago we bought 18 volt DeWalt tools. Now I have 18 volt DeWalts at home. Anyone interested in some used Makitas?

It ain't what you shoot, it's what you hit.
  • robjacksrobjacks Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makita or Milwalkee are used here..
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we use/abuse dewalt drills at work. we used to use milwalkee but they didn't hold up for very long.

"Life is not a journey to the grave wtih the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,

But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

-WOW- WHAT A RIDE!!!!!"
  • FlatheadFlathead Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dewalt hands down. I make my living using tools and dewalt is my brand of choice. They take a pretty good beating.
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dewalt cordless has twice the power of my Makita corded. Dewalt seems to be the best cordless you can get.

RUGER.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
  • 0341USMC0341USMC Member Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RIGID

0341USMC
    SEMPER FI
    Christian
    American
    heterosexual
    PRO GUN
    conservative
    Any Questions?
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,505 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like DeWalt. I had a 12 and a 14. The 14 got stolen, so I just bought a second 12. Now I have 4 interchangable batteries. These drills take a beating and keep working.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Makita...hands down. very tough tools. I've dropped my Makita cordless drills/impact drivers from ladders (and cringed, watching them fall), with no damage at all. Dewalt makes junk...they would probably hold up fine for a "homeowner", but there performance and durability are definitely lacking for the proffessional. Just my .02[:)]

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    All the above I guess, but there are different drills for different purposes.

If we stick to the commercial products, then I'd have to say my choices come down to DeWalt and Panasonic. DeWalt makes more of a replacement for an electric cord drill. They're very good, but a bit on the heavy side. Panasonic is my choice for a carry-around tool. Lots of punch, light, and a tool that will take a 20 foot fall without damage.

We've owned Makita, Porter-Cable, and now Panasonics. All have been worked to death and each was good. Panasonics are the only tool we've liked well enough to repurchase as the old one's were worked into the ground.

Nord
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,505 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ECC my friend I must respectfully disagree. You say the DeWalt would hold up for a homeowner but not the professional.
    I use my DeWalt cordless drill 8 hours a day. I have dropped it, I have dropped that thing from the top of an 8 foot ladder, I figured it was all over. The damn drill never missed a beat.
    Now, a few years ago DeWalt had made the mistake of coming out with a "homeowners" model. Maybe you got one of those.
    The 12v pro model was $180, the "homeowners" was $130 at the Depot. They were almost identical in appearance.
    This was a marketing mistake for DeWalt. They should sell just their top quality pro model and leave the cheapos for another company.
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Allen -

Absolutely correct! The cheapo DeWalts are Black & Decker dressed in yellow and black. About the only similarity is that both look like drills. The real DeWalts are a tool worth having.

As I said: DeWalt is very good. We especially like their compound mitre saws and I'd really like one of the heavy bench saws they put out. Porter-Cable seems to have our vote for their corded hammer-drills and their Tiger Saw is tops. Milwalkee makes great circular saws and drills. Delta is a disappointment all the way around.

Our favorite portable, though, is the Panasonic. We've found the Panasonic 15v drill to be a great performer. It's powerful, light, and takes all sorts of abuse in stride. At less than $199.00 it's a bargain.

Nord
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My old B&D cordless screwdriver battery just died -- won't charge up anymore. I'll be looking for a good strong replacement for around-the-house use. I don't want to spend a couple hundred for that. I do like the new breed of replaceable VersaPak battery jobs, since I already have a charger and batteries for a couple other appliances. So my choice for these things is going to be the VersaPak tools, since I'm not in a commercial situation. I do like their drill and their saws. Now I'm going to bury my old screwdriver and look at what's available in the VersaPak powered. I'd say that Skil tools seem to me to be on a par with the other household mechanic's breed of tools. Not commercial quality, but not toys either.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nord
    Allen -

Absolutely correct! The cheapo DeWalts are Black & Decker dressed in yellow and black. About the only similarity is that both look like drills. The real DeWalts are a tool worth having.

As I said: DeWalt is very good. We especially like their compound mitre saws and I'd really like one of the heavy bench saws they put out. Porter-Cable seems to have our vote for their corded hammer-drills and their Tiger Saw is tops. Milwalkee makes great circular saws and drills. Delta is a disappointment all the way around.

Our favorite portable, though, is the Panasonic. We've found the Panasonic 15v drill to be a great performer. It's powerful, light, and takes all sorts of abuse in stride. At less than $199.00 it's a bargain.

Nord

In 10" and 12" compound miter saws, Makita owns the market. For the last 5 years or so, Makita has been rated the best miter saw on the market. Let me give you an example from independent testing: in the octagon cut test, by the time you cut the last piece of the octagon, you are unable to fit a feeler guage in the last cut with the Makita saw; with the Dewalt's there was something like a 3/8" gap in the last two pieces of the octagon. I have owned quite a few Dewalt tools, as have many of my business associates and none of them have held up to heavy use...and they do not perform as well. I'll give you another example with the orbital sander: Makita orbital's take stock down at least twice as fast as Dewalts. I get a lot of construction periodicals and read a lot of tool test reports. You will rarely, if ever, see a test in which Dewalt outperforms Makita...especially in the durability area. Everyone has their own prefferences, but I stand behind Makita[:)]...and respectfully disagree[;)][:)]

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    Bosch beats em all

"Respect your Tools"
    "Freedom is not Free"
    edited November -1
    Dont like any tool thats battery operated, seems half way through a job the battery dies, then ya gotta either have a spare, which is usually dead, and wait for em to charge,, ya can get a small generator for a little more than a bunch of batteries and chargers cost ya.. then all ya gotta worry about is running out of gas..[:D][}:)]

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • chorkiechorkie Member Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my 24volt Bosch[:)]

???
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Been using a Bosch 12v around the house ever since a 12v was a big battery for a drill (been awhile). Still using it. Don't know about the new ones.

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>
  • Annie-OAnnie-O Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i will never buy a dewalt product again.i bought the dewalt planer and was suppose to receive a power tool or 50.00 rebate.i sent all my paperwork in ,waited ,nothing.i call dewalt and ask about my power driver and they say they dont have a record of my rebate.i then tell the snotty wench at customer service that i still have copies of all the paparwork and she tells me i am S.O.L.
    so i will never buy a dewalt product again.[:(!]

cg1.gif
  • fanofafanfanofafan Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Porter Cable or Milkwalkee....
    Sams Club Sells them and They Rock!!!!
    I have both cord and cordless and never failed me in a 28 years of turning tools...

[:p][^]
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    DeWalt gets my vote. Have a newer Porter, batteries don't last worth a darn in it. Makita is god too, can't give you any first hand on anything else.
  • elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used and abused alot of tools over 30 years by far dewalt has the best.

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
    Tolono.gif
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Dewalt and Makita are the choices here.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always used Makita and had good luck with them but I was in a Harbor Freight store and bought a cheapo 12 volt and extra battery to set on the work bench so I wouldnt have to dig out the Makita every time I needed a drill.So far it has worked like a champ and I have less than 20 bucks in the drill and extra battery.
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Milwaukee 18 volt for about seven years now with no problems
    it works as good as the day i bought it.I also have a Dewalt 18 volt
    and had to chance out the Batts after only a few Hundred charges
    but its still a great drill ,The Milwaukee gets my vote[;)]

use_deer.jpg
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    I haven't tried all the brands so I couldn't give any advise on any but the ones I've had.
    The ryobi had good torque (12v) but lacked the rpm to do the job and the battery was charged in the drill, so you couldn't charge a battery and work with another. The battery didn't hold up well.
    The millwauki (sp) was trashed after two months- no sane comment!
    I have now, a Makita 9v--yes 9v, and it does the job better than all the others hands down. Battery charges full in 30 min, have had it smoking a couple of times with a dull 1-1/4" paddle bit and it still just keeps on going. I use it almost everyday. It will twist your wrist.
    When comparing drills, it would be fair to mention the voltage of the drill, as a 9v drill won't have the capability of an 18v drill. An improperly sized drill for a certain job will certainly give bad reviews, when all along, it's not the drills fault but the job it is asked to do it wasn't designed for.
    For all around medium use, I think you would find the Makita a great choice in 9v. For heavier use, get the 12v or 18v jobber.