In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

went fishing

223believer223believer Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
I hit the Shenandoah yesterday near Seven Bends to go after some of those smallmouth. The river was a bit high, but had recently come down after being very high the previous week. The water was fairly clear and cold--more on that later--and the sky was overcast.

My buddy had on those fancy waders and felt-sole boots. I had on an old pair of sneakers and a pair of shorts. I began the day by slipping down the muddy bank and splashing into the water, a technique I call "waking up the fish." The water was cold but not terribly so, and we fished for about three and a half hours.

We were using plastic grubs (smoke flecked, black, green and blue, and chartruse) and tubes (dark green flecked) and a buzz bait run well under the surface. The tubes and buzz bait did well, and the lighter colored grubs did well also. I was throwing the grubs out and bouncing them back along the bottom. Some medium-sized smallmouth, many panfish, and a nasty-looking chub all got in on the action.

One last thing: I fell in twice yesterday, once to mid-thigh and the second time to the bottom of my ribs. I was wearing one of those Polartec pullovers, and I wrung it out and put it back on and it kept me warm on a cool day. That's good stuff.

Comments

• Options
    223believer223believer Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went fishing this morning. After a time I ran out of worms. I saw a Cottonmouth snake with a frog in his mouth. Frogs are good bass bait. Knowing the snake couldn't bite me with the frog in his mouth, I grabbed him right behind the head, took the frog, and put it in my bait bucket.

The dilemma was how to release the snake without getting bit. I grabbed my bottle of Jack Daniels and poured a little whiskey in its mouth.

His eyes rolled back, he went limp. I released him into the lake without incident and carried on fishing using the frog.

A little later, I felt a nudge on my foot. There was that same snake with two frogs in his mouth.

Life is good in the South. [:D]
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    223believer, sounds like a great day...lots of rain here in Northern Illinois has kept me from enjoying some of the same type of action you were talking about. I smallie fish in a river near my home.

Have you ever tried a Roadrunner, yellow ones in muddy water and white one in clear water work well for me. Also the smallest Blue Fox inline spinner has landed quite a few also.

Happy fishing to you....
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't wait for late summer when it get's super hot out and the smallies start hitting on top water lures. Aint nothing like having a smallie or a bucket mouth nail a teeny torpedo or a jitterbug off the surface. Hold the rod high and watch 'em dance!
  • Options
    muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    went for bass at Shasta Lake a couple days ago. Didn't do any good. I think the spawn is over. But plan #2 was to troll for Rainbows and Salmon near the dam. Even though they don't allow boats up next to the dam due to 9/11, I limited out in 3 hours. Just Rainbows and a few Silvers up to 18". Watched a couple of Bald Eagles soar over, munched on some venison jerky and kept the limit of 5. Life is good.