In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Waiting period...............

muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
I have a question whose answer may be obvious to everyone....but me. In Kalifornia there is a 15 day waiting period for anything that looks, feels, tastes, or smells like a firearm. If I bid on a long gun on GB, I have to wait for the auction to end. Then, if I win, I send in a money order for payment which takes 7 to 10 days. Then, I wait for the seller to box and ship the firearm to my local FFL dealer which may take 7 to 10 days depending on distance and willingness of the seller to complete the transaction in a timely manner. I'll say at this point that I have yet to buy from a seller that purposely dragged his feet.My question is...when does the 15 day waiting period begin? From the time the seller receives the payment or when my FFL dealer receives the firearm? If I have to wait until the FFL dealer has the firearm 15 days, I could be waiting 6 weeks to 2 months after winning the auction to shoot something.

Comments

• Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    I can't answer your waiting period question, but I can offer somewhat of a solution...private party sales. I say somewhat because you won't have the selection you have here, but it is instant gratification.
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best you move from a communist state to a free one.
    PC=BS
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty sure it starts when your FFL dealer does the background check.Lighten up a little...."All the negative vibes, Moriarty!"....er MuleyMudge the positive
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All good advice. I'm trying to improve my attitude too, but living where I do, it's hard. I tell my grandkids that we live in Alaska. I just hate waiting so long to try out my new gun. I do, however, practice shoot and release.As Mudge might say...Muley the impatient
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting. No waiting period and no NICS check if you have a permit to purchase handguns here in Iowa. Then again, no shall-issue law either.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    It should only be a 10 day wait here in the land of fruits and nuts and they make us wait 10 days from when the dealer calls in the check. I get to pick up my Glock tomorrow after 10 days of impatience. I hate it here.
    Eat healthy, exercise, avoid smoking........Die anyway. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    edited November -1
    will270win.....you're right on the 10 days on long guns,But, the local FFL dealer elects to hold ALL firearms 15 days as per store policy. No reason given. Oh, Oh. My attitude is showing again.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Store policy?! You got to find you another dealer.
    Eat healthy, exercise, avoid smoking........Die anyway. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    edited November -1
    will270win...I know. Small town. They make the rules. Not much choice or selection either, even in the larger towns 30 miles north and 45 miles east. The time it takes to purchase a gun on GB auctions looks better all the time, considering you at least get a selection.As Mudge might say,Muley the discouraged
  • Options
    crisisbillcrisisbill Member Posts: 487 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The waiting period starts when you fill out your 4473 at the dealer and he calls it in.Sorry.............Boy and I thought we had it tuff in New York.
    If you Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Failfreetog@ulster.net
  • Options
    edited November -1
    New York was a pain because you had to pay for your pistol, take the receipt to the Sheriff's Office and have the gun added to your permit, and then head back to the gun store to pick it up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess you guys are right, as usual. Waiting period starts when the Feds get their stuff. I guess I was just fishing for alternatives. I'll just wait. I've got the patience of an oyster. Thanks for the help.Muley
  • Options
    jdb123jdb123 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    -TEXAN- SORRY BUT WE DONT HAVE PROBLEMS GETTING LEGAL GUNS [This message has been edited by jdb123 (edited 01-16-2002).]
  • Options
    TED GARTED GAR Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Texas, and have never had to wait, they do the background check on the phone, and if it is good, you get to walk away with the gun, be it pistol, assault rifle, or whatever.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You guys are lucky. In Kalifornia you are guilty until proven innocent and then you're still guilty. I had to wait 15 days this past summer to pick up my assault Colt Frontier Scout .22 revolver. Oh,Oh. Sarcasm.My wife says I've got to work on that.Muley
  • Options
    navariannavarian Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    move to nevada...they do the check, and its good, you go home.... TA DA...
    cocked,locked and ready to rock with a glock..!!!!!!!!!stand tall, stand proud GOD BLESS THE USA
  • Options
    instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    something that i've noticed being kind of fishy. i'm about 1/8 Cheyenne, and depending on the paperwork i fill out race as such, sometimes i just do it because it pisses me off to be categorized, in any manner than gun owner. while making purchases on firearms i've noticed that i can have a lengthy wait if i put native american as my race i've never gotten an immediate proceed. when i picked up my 835 ulti-mag i had to wait nearly 2 weeks. however if i put caucasion i have always gotten ok'd to walk with my firearm.
    Rule #1: there is no easy wayRule #2: if,in fact, there is an easy way, it's mined (especially in Afghanistan or Kosovo!)
  • Options
    instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    something that i've noticed being kind of fishy. i'm about 1/8 Cheyenne, and depending on the paperwork i fill out race as such, sometimes i just do it because it pisses me off to be categorized, in any manner than gun owner. while making purchases on firearms i've noticed that i can have a lengthy wait if i put native american as my race i've never gotten an immediate proceed. when i picked up my 835 ulti-mag i had to wait nearly 2 weeks. however if i put caucasion i have always gotten ok'd to walk with my firearm.
    Rule #1: there is no easy wayRule #2: if,in fact, there is an easy way, it's mined (especially in Afghanistan or Kosovo!)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    instrumentofwar....That is even worse then me having to wait 15 days because of "store policy". I guess they're expecting another Indian uprising. Maybe they watch the Western Channel too much. Who knows why each dealer seems to have a different set of rules? I don't understand. But, maybe it's all in the master plan to discourage us into taking up.....ugh......golf.
  • Options
    borderguyborderguy Member Posts: 387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Muley, I feel your Pain. Although I am a Federal LEO, we had to wait months the Gov Davis to allow us to purchase 13 round mags for our personal duty weapons. (HK USP.40)I also had a legally purchased Maadi AKM that was banned after I bought it. I called up the State Dept of Justice and asked what to do. The DOJ said I could give it to the local police, render it inoperable or destroy it with no compensation. I coundn't keep it because CA doesn't recognize Federal Agents as Peace Officers. When I asked if I could sell it out of state, the officer replied, "No, your weapon is illegal like cocaine is illegal and could you sell cocaine legally in Arizona? This is the attitude we face here in the People's Republic of Kalifornia.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    borderguy, My God! That doesn't make sense to me at all. These gun laws have to coincide with the monthly cycle of Feinstein and Boxer. The more stories I hear, the deeper my new gun vault gets.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    instrumentofwar--maybe they thought you needed to be punished for what you did to that 835 while you were inspecting it at that gun show. I'll keep my mouth shut and let you save face here P.S. Maybe they thought you were "fixin' to rise up".
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bingo. Muley, my fevered brain went through the same tortured questions when I recently bought my first gun off Gunbroker, but having lived in Los Angeles, without a permit, I know these guys are right. The clock doesn't even start ticking until your gun arrives, the dealer looks it over, and you fill out your forms and probably pay him a transfer fee. Technically, I have no doubt that a weapon can be bought and paid for but never belong to you if your state laws do not allow it to be sold, putting you in the awkward position of having to a) arrange with the dealer to dispose of it to your advantage, or b) convince your seller to take it back. Which of course is why all such legalities should be checked ahead of time. What a bummer if I ordered a SMG parts kit or a short carbine barrel, paid for it, and found my dealer wouldn't let me have it, for example. Sorry, I digress... Too bad you can't get a carry permit where you are. I took my gun home the day my dealer called me to say it showed up in the mail.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    offeror.....I was just getting ready to munch on some roast, squash and fried potatoes and onions. Now, I feel like throwing up. I think I'll move back to Arizona, but soon, it'll be almost as bad there. Thanks for the info, though, I appreciate it.Muley