In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

No responders to email questions ?

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
What is the deal with people selling and they won't answer emails on questions about their firearm? I wonder if they are hiding something? Does it happen to you also?

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Some sellers dont want to take the time, they have the attitude that if you dont buy, someone else will, so you arent deserving of their time.

I even had one email me after I sent 4 to them. to stop bothering them.

Most are inconsiderate and rude.

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the guy don't answer me I am not bidding.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I've never had someone fail to respond to my questions. If they did fail to, I would not buy from them.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I spoke to a Heavy-hitter seller here on GB a while back and asked him the same question, His response was "most people that e-mail the questions are dreamers that dont Bid" Sadly i have found this to be true selling on Fleabay 99% of the emails came from folks that did not bid and 99% of the Real bidders never asked a single question.
    I make it a Point to ALWAYS answer questions about an item even though
    I know they will never bid, some sellers just dont care about
    anything but the bottom line or in this case the winning bid.
    IF THEY DONT ANSWER QUESTIONS, DONT DEAL WITH THEM.
    use_deer.jpg96EB.jpg
  • 358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they don't answer my email I don't bid. the bottom line is ask all quesstions before you bid can't pick it up and look it over so I ask then make up my mind if I want to bid some I buy some I bid what I am will to pay and lose others I bid and win. but I always ask first. Can't change my mind after I bid!

Son if you didn't learn something today, you wasted the whole day. (Jasper N. Lee, my granddaddy)
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Could be that those Sellers are Pejudice.

1-Powder

2-Patch

3-Ball

4-Remove the Rod

5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am an eBay seller (regular eBay) and answer every email, NO matter how dumb. Having said that, I would NOT buy from a seller that didn't answer my Email. I have had sellers email me back DAYS after the auction ended!

"meet me in Margaritaville"
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Happens to me sometimes, but mostly from low or unrated sellers. I tend to stay away if they don't respond within a day or two.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Just went through that crap a couple weeks ago. Only place I could find what I wanted was on GB.
    The seller after about 4 e-mails, e-mailed me back. Then after a couple of questions I bought it as a "buy now" with 2 other items.
    You think the GB sellers are bad, try dealing with "some" of the C3 jerk dlr's.
    Was looking to close on a AC556, after trying to get an answer on 4 differant dlr's. Got one to respond 3 days later & bought it. One other answered 2 weeks later, then got PO'd cause I had already bought before he answered back.
    My feelings are if they snooze, I'll move on, and they lose a sell.
    Walte
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Would think that Classic hit the bullseye with at least a number of them. They just don't care, because someone else will bid sooner or later.

I've got 80-plus buys/sales here at GB and always answer questions the same day and give every one the benefit of doubt. But, you and I are on the computer often, I've found some sellers that seem to only use their email on a limited basis.

The wife and I talk about this concerning our small business, some folks don't check their mail once a week! We do it a dozen times a day at least.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I emailed a guy just to let him know that the description didn't match the picture of the gun for sale. The gun described wasn't produced after 1903 yet the picture clearly showed a 1906 patent date. He responded with a very nasty MYOB type note, but when I rechecked the auction later he'd changed the description to fit the gun. Ahole! I was really just trying to prevent him from having a problem after the sale.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If all it takes to get you guys to bid on my auctions is to answer your e-mails, send away........even "Ann Landers" type questions will be answered.... "Holy Freakin' Tomatoes!"

Look at it this way, if they don't answer your e-mailed questions and return a reply, you probably "stumped" them! This means your know more about the item than they do! At that point, I would look elsewhere .....just my 2 cents!

I Miss The World I Grew Up In!
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by deerhntr
    I spoke to a Heavy-hitter seller here on GB a while back and asked him the same question, His response was "most people that e-mail the questions are dreamers that dont Bid" Sadly i have found this to be true selling on Fleabay 99%

I've sold very little on online auctions, but (if I remember correctly) all who emailed me bid on my auctions. I responded promptly of course.

And as others have stated, if a seller didn't answer my email, I'm not bidding.
  • claysclays Member Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The most irritating thing to me is to answer the e-mails from interested parties and only to have your reply returned because it could not be delivered.
  • GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not just email for me. When I was shopping for my Howa .300 WSM, Galyan's never called me back, the Frontiersman called me back about 32 hours later, and a kitchen-table dealer called me back in 18 hours. You can pretty much guess who got my business!
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've made thousands of sales on line and stress that people should ask questions before bidding. Many who do, don't bid, but I don't think it is a majority, at least in my line. Usually I can detect the tire kickers pretty quickly; they will become repetitive in short order and it's obvious they are using me for research rather than buying the references for themselves . . . at which point I suggest I charge them for my time, putting an end to it.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sent an email to a bozo seller asking 2 specific questions about an item he was selling. After 3 days, he sent an email with a one word answer to ONE of the questions I asked. I sent him another email asking him to answer the second question. Never received a response. You would think he could have addressed both my questions the first time, especially considering it took him 3 days to respond.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is one seller on here that lists some pretty collectible rifles. He has it in his item description "Do not e-mail, e-mails will not be answered." That seems a little arrogant.

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    standard.jpg
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know few sellers that write such great, full-disclosure item descriptions that no questions are necessary. Besides, a question is one of my tools for gauging a seller's respect for me. I'm a seller and buyer myself. Sellers and buyers are not separate breeds. I don't need to be a "power seller" because I've been doing online auctions since 1999 with such care that my eBay feedback is 100% for that entire period. I don't mind that the direct market operators are now sharing space with the traders and collectors, but I do mind if they can't equal a collector for individual care of each item.

I don't bid if people are hiding behind a fancy company name, a PO box or their e-mail address. Every account on an auction site is just some guy who signs up and operates with exactly the same tools. If somebody acts big and impersonal, I don't want to bother with them. That's the opposite of what sellers should strive for, IMHO. If they won't respond to e-mail, I have found it means they probably won't respond to a valid request for shipping information or other services either. If they expect my money in a hot second, they can just plan to ship MY item the same way once they have use of my money. And if they're using stock photos and long windy policies, that's their problem. My rule of thumb for all members is, never make any rule for your trade partner that you're not willing to live up to yourself.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif