In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1911 question

smokepolesmokepole Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
I had seen on TV some different series of 1911.

Some have called them series 70, 80 or 90 I think I heard? I just caught the tail end of the explaination, but I thought they said the differents series didn't have the same interal design. I think they were refering to the safety or other parts.

Can someone explain the different "series" of 1911, how many there are, and their different functions?

Comments

• smokepolesmokepole Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has anyone ever had a 1911 that ever failed to fire, or failed to feed due to problems with the gun? (Excluding problems with ammo and mags.)

Mine never has. And they say the Glock is better...pish posh. It doesn't even LOOK as cool.
    edited November -1
    I've seen a bunch of 1911's that have a stainless frame and a blue slide I shot with a guy thats 1911 was a stainless slide with a blued frame. Does that make any differents in how it wears or shoots? He has been a factory shooter for colt,randell,les baer or at least shot those in comp. The last one I think was his own set up a randell slide with a colt or maybe essex frame. He is selling off a bunch of his stuff and I am helping him go through stuff. Anyway just wondering about the stainless slide with the blued frame.

bull.txt
    col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
    edited November -1
    Has anyone heard of 1911's made by a company called Tecnema or a variant by this name. I never have and was just looking for any input. Thanks

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
    edited November -1
    A friend sent me this e-mail. I know he don't want to weaken the spring, but what could would be causing the slide stop to be this hard? And what would you suggest doing about it? I've never ran into this on a 1911. I know his is a Colt, but I'm not sure what series. We would both appreciate your advice.

Dan

Have you ever lightened up the pressure of the spring in a 1911, or maybe snipped off a turn or two of the spring to make the slide stop operate easier when you have fired the last shot, inserted a fresh magazine, and then thumbed the slide stop to close it? Mine is stiff as hell and I don't want to do anything drastic to it. I do only minor smithing work on any gun, and I wondered if a weaker spring would be the answer and still let the gun work properly.

Do you know of any other way to make it easier to release that slide stop with your thumb? I have to use two hands to close the gun: left hand to push the slide back while I push the slide stop down with my right thumb.

I know the problem is not because I'm too old and weak, because I don't have any trouble with other 1911s or similar autos
    edited November -1
    Are there any decent, inexpensive, no frills GI style 1911s made in the US?
    edited November -1
    Guy at work was asking me questions about his 1911. He said he bought it used and work good up till just awhile ago. Said the slide won't lock open after last shot is fired and sometime the last shot will jam. He said he tried several different mags and they all did the same thing.
    edited November -1
    can a series 80 type 1911 be assembled and fired (safely) without the firing pin safety? to me, it's just another thing to go wrong. I feel the same way about the internal locks on S&W revolvers.
    thanks
    tom
    edited November -1
    Did any of you ever have a 1911 that never jammed? I'm not talking about those of you that may only shoot 50 rounds a year but the people that shoot the hell out of them. I have never had good luck with them over the years. Never had much use for the 45 acp round either.
    edited November -1
    I've noticed that some of the new Springfield 1911's come with an integral lock. Does this new feature screw up the trigger pull or functioning at all? Has anyone shot a Springfield with this new feature? Thank you for your help.
    edited November -1
    I am looking to pick up the Springfield Armory GI .45 in the 4" Champion size model PW9142L (attached pic http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PW9142LLarge.jpg ). I am looking to use it for CCW my question is how safe it to carry? I know it single action and it has to be cocked to fire is it safe to carry "cocked & locked" is the safety that good? Any other help &/or advise on the 1911 is welcomed.

Thanks
    edited November -1
    You guys always have the answers I need so here goes. I pickup a 1911a1 that has got me thinkin. The guy that sold it to me gets
    firearms that are released from national guard units and the military
    he had a few 1911a1's that were real clean and had one that had a remington slide and a essex frame thats the one I traded for. It is in excellent shape. Shoots like a dream, locks up excellent and has no play in the fit.My question is when did the military start using essex frames on there 45's he had another remington with a colt frame and the rest but one was colts the last was a union switch. He was high as heck on all them but was afraid he would have the one I bought for ever so we traded. I only have 200.00 in the gun and could care less if it is not all military but he tells me they did it when it was arsinal redone. what do you guys think or have you heard of this before.

bull.txt
    col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    O give me a home where no democrats roam
    edited November -1
    I am considering getting a 1911 style pistol. Really don't have any idea on good makes, models to consider. All I know is that I want something fairly affordable(none of the thousand plus dollar ones that I have seen) and something that is realible. What are your suggestions?

Jon
  • .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what it's worth, I am VIOLENTLY opposed to these built-in design flaws that are becoming all the rage. This is another reason for me to never buy Taurus, as these violations of common sense are now on all of their guns. Looks like I am going to buy an H&K .45, but you can rest assured, I will be removing/disabling their design flaw as soon as I can.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a new Millennium .45 and I am assured that as long as I leave the keys in the case it came in, I should have no trouble. ;*)
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."