In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bears that go boom!

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- The FBI has issued an alert to 350 law enforcement agencies in the southwest and Salt Lake City for potential Valentine teddy bear bombs after a suspicious transaction at a Wal-Mart last month. Law enforcement sources said authorities also were on the alert at airports in case the suspected bear-bombs might be carried onto airplanes on Valentine's Day. The FBI said a clean-shaven male, possibly of Middle Eastern descent, purchased nine Valentine teddy bears, 20 inches tall, and 14 canisters of propane, 9 inches tall, small enough to fit inside the teddy bears. The man also bought 12 packets of BBs -- small, round projectiles usually fired from air guns. He paid in cash on January 15 at the Wal-Mart in Stevenson Ranch, California, about 25 miles north of Los Angeles. He left in a white GMC or Chevrolet delivery truck. "After September 11, that purchase warrants that we take a closer look," FBI spokesman Matthew McLaughlin said. Authorities were notified February 4, McLaughlin said. Authorities emphasized that the man has committed no crime, but the purchase has raised suspicions and authorities want to question him about it. At the same time, authorities want Americans to be on the lookout for suspicious packages on Valentine's Day due to the level of concern over the purchase. The man was captured on surveillance tape and his picture was included in the alert to law enforcement agencies.

Comments

• will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Weird shopping list? Yes. Possibly Legit? Yes.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, take it to a mechanic. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats cute, now we will have to fill out papers and NICS done with waiting periods for propane tanks and bb's.
    If you want my guns you will have to kill me first. I was born free and to take that from me you better be ready to fight.
  • luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nah - you got that wrong.The new regs will be: fill out Federal forms and a 7 day wait to pick up a teddy bear!
  • badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a crock of bull s**t. THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES.
    PC=BS
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw a guy put 20 gallons of highly flammable liquid into his truck today! Oh wait, that was just me filling up my truck with gasoline.Give me a break. If this guy was REALLY planning on making some surprise Valentine's gifts, why wouldn't he have bought the components separately?
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How in heck he is goin to detonate the propane cilinder inside the bear ? Let me see next time I go to Kmart.... Teddy bears for the school kids Bingo... bb for model boat ballast..... And propane for my next hunting trip ... Wow ! and a free trip to Guantanamo ! HAHAHA HA HEHE HE !
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, seems to me somebody recently suggested on this board he could start a slow leak in the tank inside the bearload of bb's and set it near a candle, or some fool thing.
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Yeah, that sounds like a great way to make an effective bomb.Here little kid! Go hold this unusually heavy, rattling, hissing teddy bear with the stuffing falling out and a bad butane smell over by that candle there. A little closer! No, lean right over it! Good!There was a huge alert in mid-October after an Arab man "bought huge quantities of Halloween candy" from Costcos in New Jersey.The networks postulated he was going to poison it and distribute it.Now THAT kind of racism I dont tolerate. That's BS, and I said so.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullz --You COULD be right. Of course, it's only racist paranoia if the man was NOT a terrorist, scared off by all the publicity. Now that everyone knows to avoid white 20" tall teddy bears which may or may not have Valentine decorations, if the guy WAS a terrorist he may not go through with his plan either. Interesting game we're playing in this country just now, ain't it? At least they're only issuing alerts based on data -- so far they're not picking these guys up and tickling their feet with cattle prods. ;*)
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."